Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
$3 for a soda
that is alot for a soda. Why so much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 277 Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
This thread keeps popping up in my suggested threads sidebar. I'm interested in frugality and the whole buy-less-throw-less-away thing, but I'm not clear what the aim is here. When I first glanced at the title I figured there was no way I could aspire to No-Buy, since my family is in the midst of some major transitions and changes in living arrangements, and we don't have stockpiles of supplies, tools, furnishings that we can glean from. But now that I've read down in the thread is sounds like you're mostly trying to minimize discretionary and convenience-oriented purchases.

Yesterday I had to buy a CO/smoke detector, new pointe shoes for my ballet dancer, and replacement strings for my violin in preparation for an upcoming orchestra job. I feel like I'm hemorrhaging money sometimes. Obviously I'm far from no-buy even though I try to minimize / repurpose / recycle / buy used as much as I can. Just wondering if I fit here.

Miranda

Mountain mama to one great kid and three great grown-ups
#63 of 277 Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
[ Just wondering if I fit here.

Miranda[/QUOTE]

I think everyone has different aims here, as well as different definitions of what the No Spend means for their life.

For myself, I am here to hash out some of my feelings about frivolous spending, and through that self reflection gain some insight into changing habits. I also hope that by posting, I can gather ideas and support.

Frivolous spending for me is meals out because I am feeling lazy. Overbuying groceries because "it's food" therefore justified. Cute t-shirts for my kids who's dressers are exploding already. Housewares because they are on clearance or a good deal. Fabric because I like it, and will come up with some project to use it for in the next 20 years...

By not spending, I am trying to force myself to take a look at what I have and either use it, or send it on it's way, and not buy something to fill the void. I am forever coming up with projects that require me going and getting new supplies, or holding on to stuff with the intention of selling it at a garage sale or using it in the future. It is a mix of self perceived affluence and hoarding against poverty. maddening.

Over the last 10 years our income has increased. When we were really struggling, I thought that having more money would change our habit of fist to mouth. However, our mentality of spend it while you've got it, has crept up along with our cash flow. I need to make a declaration and goal to say I am changing habits, and I need someone to cheer lead me along!

By spending less I will finally pay off some debt for good. Every time I have made headway in the past, some major expense comes up. This leads to more debt and a bit of a spending spiral for me. When I have had to finance a $10K car repair, it feels fine to spend $20 on lunch to put smiles on the kids faces and less stress for me to hear them whine about eating spaghetti yet again.

I am also focused on putting money away for these contingencies. I hope that writing here will remind myself to stay with my goals, and to manage my desire to spend either for entertainment or stress relief.

#64 of 277 Old 01-19-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
that is alot for a soda. Why so much?
Went to yarn club- sometimes I don't buy anything, sometimes I get a soda. We meet at Panera ( a sandwich/soup/salad) cafe type place. Soda is about $3. The $3 is my 'rent' on the space for the few hours I'm there. Seems fair imo since i'm taking a table and chair and some wifi and not really buying lunch or bagels.

Miranda-
this is probably a spin-offf of the low-income support thread for 2017. I started this with the intent of not buying any 'wants' for the year. The theory has warped into tracking some discreationary spending in January and after tomorrow (inaguartion day) I may or may not contribute to the economy for a while.

I plan to get gas for the car tonight and get ice and a few last groceries while kid is at a late class. I am having a very hard time with the concept of spending money in a trump economy. I don't want to start a political war. That is just my own feeling and possibly where my spending may be headed.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#65 of 277 Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Behavioral Economics

During my insomnia last night, I stumbled on an article about Broke babyboomers. In that article there was a link to this coin study.
http://advanced-hindsight.com/case-studies/

Lots of interesting behavioral theories to go through there.

There was also this app:
https://digit.co/about/how-it-works

I haven't signed up for it, but I am seriously considering it. I've long held the belief that if I just had enough will power, or education, or luck that I would be able to change my behaviors. It hasn't worked so far...so maybe some forced savings with modified behavior and thought processes will?

Feeling sad and overwhelmed about things outside my control. Putting barriers in my way to going out and spending for a serotonin boost.

How are you all doing ladies? (and gents if there happen to be any reading?)
#66 of 277 Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

The first 'thing' I said 'no buy' to officially for 2017 is a new front door wreath. The holiday wreath is finally being put back in storage and we don't have one 'all season' one to put back up. When the holiday wreath was put up the old one was trashed. The holiday wreath is still in good shape so its going to storage. I don't feel the need to spend money on this in 2017. Even on clearance it would be $15-$40 and the answer is NO. The door will be fine. We don't face the street or parking lot, I face a huge tree and pond. No one comes up here unless its for deliveries.

No wreath in 2017!
Nazsmum and sniffmommy like this.

#67 of 277 Old 01-21-2017, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
@zebra15 - I see about the soda. @sniffmommy - I will look at the article later.

So, after seeing the last person/friend off I am back here. GOAL of not spending on wants.

Day 20- To much money spent
Day 21- $0.00 - Nothing - not even a penny.

I did see a concert that I am thinking of getting some people together to see. It is only a few days before my B-day. It would be just for fun. The tickets are very cheap. Under $50 So, I'm sending out some e-mails to ask around if anyone wants to go.
sniffmommy likes this.
#68 of 277 Old 01-21-2017, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

kept it all under control today. tomorrow looks good too
sniffmommy likes this.

#69 of 277 Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 PM

Feeling restless, so I thought I would get on here instead of heading out of the house.

Date night went well! DH looked for cheap eats and we visited a new restaurant and got out of there feeling full and happy for about $30, which is inexpensive for our city. Dessert at a different place $8. Getting to talk to each other...priceless.

My baby is having her birthday, and so I have been working on party stuff. Usually I go WAY overboard, but I am showing restraint this year. Went and got supplies for a party of 20 (mostly family). Around $30 for cake supplies and party favors. I booked her party at a place this year. I always throw huge parties at home, and spend way too much. $150 for dinner, ice-cream, and entertainment for 20 guests. That is about half of what I usually spend and a lot less work.

DH decided to change the oil on both cars, and his brake pads needed replaced, (which he did himself) $120. DIY savings there!

$0 spent today.
#70 of 277 Old 01-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Day 22 - Had a very crazy day. Spent zero money even in the middle of it being crazy. (All outside of my control)
@sniffmommy Good for you.
sniffmommy likes this.
#71 of 277 Old 01-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Day 22 - Had a very crazy day. Spent zero money even in the middle of it being crazy. (All outside of my control)
@sniffmommy Good for you.
Good for you!

And thank you. I can use all the positive feedback I can get.
Nazsmum likes this.
#72 of 277 Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

sun 1/22/17 - no money spent- did drive across town this am for an appointment but that was planned.
mon 1/23/17- driving kid to campus, staying home for the day, then doing a few errands and back across town for appointment and then to campus to get kid around 745.
tues 1/24/17 dr appoinment, resale bookstore, art club and possibly lunch out for kid. I'm ok with lunch for kid and it may even be covered w. funds from the bookstore sale.

If i go to yarn club on weds, I will bring my own drink this week. Really trying to spend minimally this week.

#73 of 277 Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 PM

Well, I'll join if that's okay.

My 'baby' also had a birthday today. We kept it simple: rewatched a couple of old DVD movies at home, baked and decorated a cake together, her gifts were a couple of pairs of smartwool socks, as per her request. I had bought these a couple of weeks ago at a post-holiday sale. Not cheap but they last years rather than months, and she loves them. We're in Canada; she walks a 30 minute route to and from school and warm feet are a good thing.

I did the main weekly grocery shopping today, and did some bulk-cooking that stockpiled about 8 freezer meals.

I ordered a shower curtain online for $38. We now have a second bathroom, and it needed a shower curtain!

I haven't spent money on food or beverages anywhere except the grocery store since January 3rd. Feeling good about that, especially since during the week our house is kind of a construction zone, and it is very challenging to use the kitchen.

Miranda

#74 of 277 Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
Well, I'll join if that's okay.

We're in Canada; she walks a 30 minute route to and from school and warm feet are a good thing.

Feeling good about that, especially since during the week our house is kind of a construction zone, and it is very challenging to use the kitchen.

Miranda
Welcome Moominmamma!

Wool socks. What a lovely gift! and cooking at home during a remodel can be so hard! Good for you for sticking with it.

Today I brought my DD to her new dance class. This session I stopped in to watch, and I am so glad I did. What a load of crap. She was in there with a bunch of 3 year olds and all the teacher had them do was skip across the floor to "Let it Go". She is a new teacher, and I had not seen her class, but I have been taking my kids to this community center for years now, and have generally been pleased. But not today! I'm not paying $130 for this, but more importantly, I am not spending my time sitting outside a classroom for that nonsense! I couldn't drop it and get my money back, so I transferred her into a different class, with a teacher I know from last term. However, now DD needs tap shoes and she grew out of her ballet shoes. so long story: two pair dance shoes from consignment $14.

Tomorrow is the death trap lunch out day! Can I keep myself from the drive thru?!
#75 of 277 Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Welcome @moominmamma

Day 23 went well. Went to get car oil changed. No money spent waiting- vending machine and all.
sniffmommy likes this.
#76 of 277 Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

We love smartwool socks (even in the hot desert) and my kid swears by them. They are very $$ but a solid investment. They last YEARS.
sniffmommy likes this.

#77 of 277 Old 01-24-2017, 06:16 PM

Day 24 - Did well $0.00
sniffmommy likes this.
#78 of 277 Old 01-24-2017, 07:03 PM

Jan. 22: $0.00
Jan. 23: just gas & groceries
Jan. 24: $0.00

I have a few discretionary monthly payments (Netflix, Zwift, Patreon for some podcasts I support).

We don't have cable, satellite or airwave reception for TV, so I've always figured the $12 a month I pay for Netflix and Patreon is a pretty frugal allotment for entertainment. Zwift (kind of a virtual cycling club slash video game) at $10/month is SO much cheaper than a gym membership, and I use it for hours and hours a month.

We also pay about $20/month for tiny data plans on our various cellphones. We don't have land lines, so I consider the basic charges essential, but the bit of data is definitely a convenience -- although I suppose you could make an argument about it being a safety issue for my kids who travel public transit on their own. Mobile service is bloody expensive in Canada!

Anyway it's so easy to forget about the subscription stuff, especially when it works by automatic online payment.

How about the rest of you: any periodic payments? Above and beyond necessary utilities, of course...

Miranda
sniffmommy likes this.

#79 of 277 Old 01-24-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
We love smartwool socks (even in the hot desert) and my kid swears by them. They are very $$ but a solid investment. They last YEARS.
Lol, they don't last years if you only have two pairs, each of which is worn approximately one day in two! But yeah ... they are a good investment.

Miranda
sniffmommy likes this.

#80 of 277 Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM

I didn't take the kids out to lunch! $0

I bought balloons and chocolates and sparkly gift bags for the birthday. boo. $20.

@Moon minmamma: We do Netflix, Amazon Prime, Audible, X-Box Gold, my gym membership (which I actually use), pet insurance, and then 2 charitable donations: Children's International, and PBS.

I've considered giving up my gym membership, but I home school 3 kids and they gym is one of my only alone times. I just don't workout at home. I've tried and tried and have not been able to make it part of my life. Good for you that you have a program you can do at home!

We don't have cell phones (gasp!)
#81 of 277 Old 01-25-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffmommy View Post
I home school 3 kids and they gym is one of my only alone times.
I homeschooled my four for many years, so I get it. I took up running for the same reason.

Recently I have had to take a break from running due to injury issues and cycling is a good substitute for me, but we're in the midst of a Canadian winter, so I have to do the virtual kind on a trainer in the basement for now. Zwift makes it bearable. Better than bearable actually: it's social, varied and enjoyable.

Our community didn't have cell service until about 5 years ago. We switched over to cellphones as the kids started living away from home because it just made more sense. We'd currently be paying for five landlines but six cellphones are cheaper and more functional when everyone is on the go independently. (The kids buy their own devices; we just cover minutes through a family plan.)

Jan 25: $0, spent the day painting interior trim :P

Miranda

#82 of 277 Old 01-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Day 25 did very well. $0.00 spent

We spend very little. We have Netflix instead of cable. YMCA for swimming & just walking outside instead of a gym.

Have to run...Keep up the good work ladies
#83 of 277 Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

1/26/17 Ugh- $300 and some odd dollars to fix the dryer in my rental ( do not get me started on slum-lord). its a stackable so fixing is cost effective and Im not about to replace anything else in this place. The washer/dryer combo is 12 years old.I don't plan on renewing after this lease is up - a whole nother year. ugh. anyway, parts are ordered, repair is scheduled and I had a 20% off entire service coupon. So.. it could've been much worse.

I still need to pick up a few groceries this afternoon and there are never ending errands to run today.

#84 of 277 Old 01-26-2017, 06:07 PM

@zebra15 that stinks!!!

Day 26 - $0.00
#85 of 277 Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 PM

Yikes! That's a crazy amount to have to spend fixing an old dryer that probably doesn't have too many more years left on it anyway. We got lovely higher-end ASKO stacking washer-dryer set for almost exactly that price off our local Craigslist-equivalent. Too bad about your landlord.

I spent $100 today on spackling and paint to rehabilitate our downstairs walls. Our house is an old fixer-upper that was quite abused for a year or two leading up to foreclosure upon the previous owners. It needs this kind of attention, and more. We're gradually getting there, but trying to do what work we can ourselves.

Also spent $7 on a day pass for dd at the local xc ski club. (I have a season's pass covered through my volunteer work at the kiosk.) She's got two days off between semesters at school and this was our way to celebrate. It was lovely.

These were our first discretionary expenditures this week.

Miranda
sniffmommy likes this.

#86 of 277 Old 01-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I knew that I wouldn't have the time to post each day so here's the past few weeks and some thoughts on my spending: I have only included items that I did NOT budget for - like several times over the past few weeks I have filled up on gas - but that's already built into the budget.

1/3 $16.38 food while out
1/4 $5.30 snacks
1/5 $12.02 food and miscellaneous junk
1/6 $0
1/7 $0
1/8 $7 museum visit and $6.38 food out
1/9 $5.48 food
1/10 $16.04 dog food
1/11 $0
1/12 $4.42 photos prints
1/13 $0
1/14 $5.90 snacks while out
1/15 $0
1/16 $750 unscheduled emergency car repairs - emptied the emergency fund ACK!
1/17 thru 1/19 $0
1/20 $37.51 unbudgeted grocery run and I got myself a journal
1/21 and 1/22 $0
1/23 $5 snacks out and photo prints
1/24 thru 1/26 $0

Okay so it is clear to me that I either need to make space in the budget for snacks or get better at packing food from home. Since I am trying not to spend...............I will use this weekend to come up with a plan to stop eating out - even for snacks.
And I need to rebuild my emergency fund ASAP
sniffmommy likes this.

momma to two - (ages 18 and 5) 489/2017 items in decluttering challenge (816 items gone last year 2016) Ramsey's BS1 $240
#87 of 277 Old 01-27-2017, 02:39 PM

Here is a fun thing:

https://ig.ft.com/sites/quiz/psychology-of-money/

I got "inconclusive". lol!

1/25 $35 Vet bill
1/26 $0
1/27 $0
#88 of 277 Old 01-29-2017, 04:51 AM

Day 27 - Shopping for food Stayed on budget.
Day 28 - Took a unplanned train ride. Just to get out. Kids all free, $5 for DH & I. We went a few stops then walked around awhile. Turned around and came home.

Day 29 - $5 an extra newspaper. Some great coupons. So savings in the long run
sniffmommy likes this.

Last edited by Nazsmum; 01-29-2017 at 05:43 PM.
#89 of 277 Old 01-29-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

1/29 I am not leaving the house today. We are not even going to discuss yesterday lol. Monday I have to take kid to/from campus and I have an appt at night. Tuesday I plan to STAY HOME. I feel like this month was good on buying 'stuff' but in general ended up a disaster in other ways. Overall an excellent learning experience for 2017. January gave me a good idea what I need to change and how to go about making those changes.
sniffmommy likes this.

#90 of 277 Old 01-29-2017, 10:20 AM

Jan 27: $0;
Jan 28: groceries
Jan 29: $0

A few things I didn't buy this weekend, things I decided against because of restraint stoked by this thread:
  • bike chain wax ... I decided I will just continue using oil and put a piece of cardboard under my bike trainer for a few days to catch any spatters
  • more yarn ... I have some boot cuffs I can finish first out of one last hank of yarn in my stash
  • dinner out ... it was tempting to go out as a treat on the one weekend in four we're together as a family, especially since there's a new community-run restaurant in our village that we feel strongly about supporting, but we'll wait another month
  • another license for a Wordpress theme I really like for a community non-profit website I built; it can just stay clunky and manually-formatted... they're getting it for free after all

Miranda
Nazsmum and sniffmommy like this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page