2017 no buy ?? - Mothering Forums

149Likes

#1 of 484 Old 11-09-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
2017 no buy ??

I was thinking about this and reading some blogs etc. I'm not sure what type of 'guidelines' to give myself or if I have the discipline to attempt something of this caliber. I have problems doing no spend months and weekly challenges. Possibly if I put spending on an annual path I would have better luck?

I was thinking about ONLY spending for needed groceries, monthly utilities, medical bills, and a few incidentials. I don't need yarn, i really don't need many clothes, we don't need household furnishings. I can get media from the library. My big issue would be eating out but I think I could scale that way back- if i saw an increase in my bank account.

Thoughts or am I being totally insane in my thinking about this?

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 484 Old 11-09-2016, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in.

My spending is going to be restricted to bills, home repair, setting up the garden / homestead, and a few incidentals.
#3 of 484 Old 11-09-2016, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
I think that it is a good goal to have. I am going to think about it. No matter what I will be a cheerleader.

#4 of 484 Old 11-09-2016, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've actually thought about doing this too; a while back I did some research on a national group that supports this, and it was really inspiring.
I'll see if I can't find the info and share it.
Either way, I'm curious about other folk's parameters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAHM, married to my bestest friend (09/96), Mama to my sweet adventure boy
(06/08), and dynamic duo,
and
(10/11)

for Birth Stories, Circles and Newborn News!
#5 of 484 Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy-mama View Post
I've actually thought about doing this too; a while back I did some research on a national group that supports this, and it was really inspiring.
I'll see if I can't find the info and share it.
Either way, I'm curious about other folk's parameters too.

If you can find the national group I'd love to see the set up and the info. I'm still in the 'thinking about it' phase but I feel with all the recent changes and shake ups that are going on, I need a 'time out' from everything. Not spending money and using what I have will allow me more time and energy to simply 'think' and possibly come up with a plan for the future as well as hopefully clear some debts.

#6 of 484 Old 11-11-2016, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ah! I found it!!
https://nwei.org/product/voluntary-simplicity/

It isn't quite what I'd remembered it to be, but it still looks really interesting.
I heard a lecture a few years ago, with a woman who did the course and it was that experience that inspired her to have a buy nothing year. Her story is here: https://nwei.org/everyone_can_do_something/

WAHM, married to my bestest friend (09/96), Mama to my sweet adventure boy
(06/08), and dynamic duo,
and
(10/11)

for Birth Stories, Circles and Newborn News!
#7 of 484 Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm in, though I know I'll have a few expenses. I'm going to be selling the house, so there will be quite a few house related purchases for staging. Other than that, and kid clothes, I think I want 2017 to be a year of reducing rather than wasting money buying more.

Cancer-beating, single mama to
DS (5-11) and
DD (8-13). Tomorrow is a new day.

(4-09)
(5-12)
#8 of 484 Old 12-09-2016, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I am planning on doing this. I don't plan on keeping this rental but another lease term so we will most likely move 02/2018 so having 'less' overall to transport will be part of my goal.(as well as having more funds to move with). Kid will be transferring to the 4 yr university around that time and I need to get him closer to that campus. I am making some last minute purchases in 2016 to get us through 2017. We desperately need a new printer and we both need new phones . These will be purchased with xmas money. That should be the last of the 'big' purchases. I will be treating myself to some yarn this holiday season- I bought very little in 2016 and I will not buy much this season - only what I have a plan to make things with next year- again I don't want to move excess things.

While my lease is still below market rate, there was an increase in the rent amount. I was able to negotiate some much needed repairs, minor but needed to off set the increase in payments. The new owner is 'all business' and a real jerk. I love the property managment person but again my kid will need to be closer to the big university campus.

At least that is the plan on paper. This will be very interesting to see how everything turns out.

Does anyone else want to join me- What are you spending plans for 2017?

#9 of 484 Old 12-18-2016, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to get through the holiday here. But I did some re=planning for 2017 and made a costco/sams club run for a few necessities that I buy annually to get this year so I don't need to buy them in 2017. I added a few things to my kiddo xmas presents, again so I don't need to buy them in 2017, or limit what I buy in 2017. There were rock bottom prices on amazon last week so I stocked up and splurged a tiny bit.

My general idea on this 'no spend' is only buy necessities- normal grocery and household needs along with utilities and rent. No clothing, no shoes, no accessories. Apply for financial aid whenever possible, no going out to eat. (no yarn-this is going to about kill me but i have plenty here to use).

I probably need to move 2/1/18 and won't be renewing my lease for a number of reasons this is 2 fold, one to save $$ overall, and to save $$ for the move, and to have less things overall to move. Plus obviously learn to make due with what we have.

Anyone else have thoughts>

#10 of 484 Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 AM

I'm in. Lets see how this goes. I will only spend on the things that we really need. NO WANTS.

We can do this.
#11 of 484 Old 12-29-2016, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well the last of the 2016 'splurging' is about done. I got the new phones (rock bottom sale price) after christmas for kid and myself and I got the much needed printer. I held firm at the store and managed to have them order and deliver the phones because they were out of stock. $200 phones for $50 each. Of course they wanted to sell me something else but I made it work! The printer is set up, wireless printing is happening! Toner is drying properly and not smudging. I feel good about the purchases and don't foresee anything else that would need to be done.

Kid has money set aside for driving lessons when the time comes and I've planned for the increase in insurance costs when he gets added as a full time driver to my policy. He is going to apply for a job on campus for spring term- no idea if he will get a position but he is going to apply.

My plan is to keep spending as minimal as possible. Just the basics: rent, utilities, groceries (based on sales) and very little else. We should be set on clothes for most of the year and I've started back to the library as much as possible.

I'm planning for taxes this week and want to get those filed as soon as possible as well. I use a website to file with minimal cost. (under $20).

#12 of 484 Old 12-31-2016, 05:03 PM

So today I went out and bought my last "thing". I wanted the new Violent Femmes album. I want that for my self for awhile.

So here we go. No more stuff. Only things that we need.

This is going to be fun...
#13 of 484 Old 12-31-2016, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.oneemptyshelf.com/year-of-buying-nothing-2/

this person blogged about 2 years of 'buy nothing' 2012 and 2015. Its quite inspiring.

#14 of 484 Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 PM

@zebra15 thanks! I will read more after I get some sleep. MIL was here and I am just finishing cleaning up.

Happy New Year
#15 of 484 Old 12-31-2016, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Things to do for gratification instead of spending

hi!
I've been a lurker here in the mindful home and low income support thread area for years. I learned a lot about money tendencies from reading all of it. I think the No-Spend year is a really good goal. I know from my own experience of trying to move beyond my poverty mentality to a wealth building mentality, is that I get a rush from spending. Even if it is just a good deal on a couple packs of gum.
What are some of the things you all are planning to do to instead of spending?
#16 of 484 Old 01-01-2017, 04:55 AM

[QUOTE=sniffmommy;19604634
What are some of the things you all are planning to do to instead of spending?[/QUOTE]
Funny, I really don't enjoy shopping very much. I like going to concerts so that might be something that I might spend some money on?

I love to watch as many movies as I can from the library. Read books. Listen to music. I read the Newspaper. Listen to the radio. Go to the park. I will keep busy
#17 of 484 Old 01-01-2017, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I have plenty of things to do besides spend money LOL. Amazon prime gives me a free kindle book every month, library for movies and books, I have grad school to work on (my classes are all online so I can work when it fits my schedule), i need to walk/exercise more, I love to crochet and have more than a years worth of yarn here. Cooking at home would prevent the sudden 'omg I'm hungry and i need xyz right now' syndrome.

I don't particularly 'like' shopping but find myself overbuying when I'm at the store to try to avoid going back or running out of something which would then require a return trip to the dreaded store. This has left me with quite the 'inventory' of goods and products at my house. I am NOT a hoarder by any defination but we do have probably a years worth of K-Cups, more than a years worth of yarn, plenty of bath soap (my kid gets me this for xmas, bday, mothers day etc), and a few other things.

Today is the start of something new for me. Not 'no buy' per se but a new way of looking at things.

Actually this started a couple days ago when I needed an envelope for the beginnings of my tax documents. I was going to BUY a plastic envelope then I stopped myself- omg my anxiety was ramping up as I needed to go to the office supply store for one stinking item. NO- it was not going to happen. I had plenty of large brown mailing envelopes at home and I was going to use one of those. Never mind every year for the past 20 some years I've used a plastic envelope for tax work- I was not going to the store to spend $4 on something that I could easily substitute an item at home for. It may only be one item, only $4 but still. Starting small and taking a stand.

Today is 1/1/17. We are staying home. I have laundry to do. We are eating from the freezer and pantry. I have a crochet project going. Same plans for Monday.

If you have amazon prime you have access to 'kindle first' which gives you one FREE early release kindle book a month. You can read it on other devices as well. I downloaded mine to kindle today.

#18 of 484 Old 01-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Starting small and taking a stand.
#19 of 484 Old 01-01-2017, 05:54 PM

Day 1- It went well. I spent $0.00! ***PROBLEM*** Making dinner tonight my blender died. It is very old. My grandmother's from the '60 or '70's. (yes it still worked until tonight ) So, I will need to get it fix or a new one. I need my blender...I will try very hard to get it fixed. I love that blender and I love old things.

OH! And I will need to spend on getting B-day cards. I forgot about that. I send everyone cards. That will have to stay.
#20 of 484 Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L4ATO7U...ding=UTF8&th=1

I ordered this from amazon for greeting cards. There is a decent assortment for birthdays. THere is no difference in cards between the color of box.

The blender sounds like a reasonable purchase. Compare prices on amazon- I find that delivery keeps me out of the store and limits me to buying the ONE thing I actually need.

#21 of 484 Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm going to try really hard this year! The power was out for 8 hours today, I was very tempted by pizza, but cooked. We need to stop eating out. I need to stop buying stuff on Amazon. I really want to declutter and minimize things coming into the house. No kids birthdays until the summer. My husband decided (on his own) that he's going to stop drinking soda and the expensive coffees, so that will help too.
#22 of 484 Old 01-02-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Day 2- no money spent. I was happy on the couch with my yarn, working on a blanket. We had sandwiches for lunch. Dinner was pasta bake and garlic rolls. There is plenty for left overs tomorrow. This is also 2 days of no driving.

Tomorrow I have an appointment, need to stop at target and check on some RX (minimal cost) and get the mail. I should stop at the library as well.

I also ordered some things from the library for later in the month (long holds on a few things)

#23 of 484 Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Day 2- $0 spent I asked my friend to look at the blender. He can fix all most anything.
#24 of 484 Old 01-02-2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I am in.
1/1 $0 spent
1/2 we were traveling today and I bought fast food for my LO. I didnt prepare with enough snacks for the trip. It was predictable that she would need to eat. I can do better.
#25 of 484 Old 01-02-2017, 11:05 PM

Doing well so far. The key for me is cleaning and exploring the house. I find all sorts of things to keep me busy and satisfied.

I'm looking forward to crafting more this year. I have plenty of supplies for that.

DS (5-11) and

(4-09)
(5-12)
#26 of 484 Old 01-03-2017, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Day 3- paid my therapist, a much needed and planned for bi-weekly expense. I skipped going to target for rx, I will go on friday afternoon. Got the mail and a soda while I was out. Managed to stay on budget today and tonight will be
having leftovers for kid and salad for myself.

Tomorrow the plan is for me to go to yarn club- bringing my own water bottle so I dont buy soda, kid has an interview for a job on campus. Then home to make dinner and prepare for my class that resumes on thursday. (online). Possible meal planning for the rest of the week needs to happen as well.

#27 of 484 Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 PM

Day 3 - $20 (me&3kids) for a unexpected lunch. We ended up at the dentist much longer then expected. We live a good 45 mins away. We needed to eat. It was not something that I could get around...If I know that I would be there so long.

A good thing came out of the delay at the dentist. I was able to stop at a farm's market that has really great deals. So, in a way it worked out in my favor.
#28 of 484 Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
1/1 Nothing spent
1/2 My meeting ran for an 1 1/2 longer than I had planned, and to treat the kids I bought them lunch. $24 Treating the kids is such a weakness of mine. I've planned all the meals for the whole month, and shopped for all of it, but I am such a softy.
1/3 Just soap and shampoo. Wanted to browse fabrics but decided instead to just start cutting out one of the two projects planned instead of procrastinating with shopping.
#29 of 484 Old 01-03-2017, 11:31 PM

Today was one of those days where nothing went as planned. DS had a delayed start to school due to bad weather, so he joined DD at speech therapy, then I had to rush him to school, then DD to school, then I had to run to see my lawyer, then I checked the time when I got out, realized I needed to pick the kids up in 2 minutes, but I was 30 minutes away...
The kids had Panda Express for dinner as an "I didn't forget you, I just completely forgot to check the time and you had to sit in the school office and wait for me" apology. I had leftovers.

DS (5-11) and

(4-09)
(5-12)
#30 of 484 Old 01-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Day 4- Went well. $0.00 spent.
@mamapigeon I hope that today was better.
mamapigeon likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page