1Likes
  • 1 Post By moominmamma

#1 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Space for computer

Hi All,

I think this question best fits here because this is a house with just enough space. There isin't that extra room where you could put stuff that you don't know where to put.

Well, so, where would you put your desktop? In the bed room or in the family room? There is a small family room and a small living room. I don't want it in the living room for sure. I am not sure about the bedroom because if you're working from home you just won't leave your bedroom. Otoh the family room is small and will comprise a futon, and which will double up as a guest room if needed. The computer table could make the family room look cluttered with the papers and stationery etc that it's used for, not to mention the hundreds of wires for wifi, phone line etc. All the files also stay near the computer table for easy access.

TIA

Don't imagine the worst incidents in your emotional life -- keep a positive attitude.

Last edited by Neera; 03-02-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Many rooms are 'dual purpose'. Guest room/office. Very few people have a formal living room these days and family room both. I would turn the living room into a office/guest room.

That being said, I haven't worked on a desk top for many many years. I have a fullsize laptop, kid has a smaller sized laptop, we both have kindles and various other ways to 'work'.

Possibly the solution is a wireless laptop which then opens up a number of possibilities?

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#3 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Many rooms are 'dual purpose'. Guest room/office. Very few people have a formal living room these days and family room both. I would turn the living room into a office/guest room.

That being said, I haven't worked on a desk top for many many years. I have a fullsize laptop, kid has a smaller sized laptop, we both have kindles and various other ways to 'work'.

Possibly the solution is a wireless laptop which then opens up a number of possibilities?

The entrance door literally opens into the living room. So, I don't know if as you enter we'd want a whole lot of computer clutter present. I think long hours of being in front of a computer whether at home or at office itself is detrimental to our health, but then having a smaller keyboard and screen is quite a strain, at least for me. I hardly ever use one. I don't mind having the desktop in the family room, but am not sure we'll be able to open the futon if needed. Also, I don't know how to hide the wires. The reason the wires will be visible is because I don't want the back of the computer facing a wall. I think we might at times need privacy if we have something private to work on/print while we have people over, but then the wires would show.

Don't imagine the worst incidents in your emotional life -- keep a positive attitude.

#4 of 11 Old 02-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Just pick a spot and if you don't end up liking it there move it to the other room.
#5 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Just pick a spot and if you don't end up liking it there move it to the other room.

The spot has to be pre-picked as the cable company will wire it accordingly.

#6 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 PM

Well that's why I use a router. I can move my computer anywhere I want. Plus I have lots of other devices that use wifi.
#7 of 11 Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I am not that technologically savvy, but I do know we have a router. However, just recently we had moved and we had to tell the cable guy the exact position of the computer. We also have a voip phone line connected to the computer. I don't know if that has anything to do with him wanting to know the exact location. Is your router wireless?

#8 of 11 Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
It's kind of hard to give advice because i don't know the details of your home, your computer use, your family composition or your value system.

We have always preferred to have computers in the main traffic areas of the house. On the rare occasion privacy is truly needed, one can just choose a time when no one else is in the common area of the house, say, late at night, or while others are at work or outdoors. Most of the time I don't want the computer to be private at all. I want the public nature of the family's computer use to reduce the temptation for inappropriate use, encourages self-censoring of both content and length of use, and I want human beings and real conversation in the same space to encourage whoever is the computer-person of the moment to re-engage with real life.

You can use wifi (or, if you're philosophically opposed to wifi, a network cable) to move the computer from proximity to the router box.

We've only just gained a guest room thanks to grown children flying the coop, and have never had a family room. The kitchen or the living room is where I've always tried to keep the computer activity.

Miranda
(typing from the living room)
katelove likes this.

Mountain mama to one great kid and three great grown-ups

Last edited by moominmamma; 02-22-2017 at 06:42 PM.
#9 of 11 Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM

I'm not sure why he cares where your computer is, but maybe you don't have a tv? We do, and I always have the cable modem by the tv and just have my base phone plugged into the modem, it has a splitter to go to directly to the DVR and to the router. We have separate phone handsets to use in other rooms that connect to the base station.

At one house I did have two modems going, one in the bedroom which had the phone base station and router plugged into it and one by the tv for the DVR. Yes, my router has wifi. I'm not even sure if they make routers now days that don't have wifi.

Anyway, if you are willing to connect your computer to the internet over wifi then they can put the modem anywhere. It really won't matter.
#10 of 11 Old 02-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post
Hi All,

I think this question best fits here because this is a house with just enough space. There isin't that extra room where you could put stuff that you don't know where to put.

Well, so, where would you put your desktop? In the bed room or in the family room? There is a small family room and a small living room. I don't want it in the living room for sure. I am not sure about the bedroom because if you're working from home you just won't leave your bedroom. Otoh the living room is small and will comprise a futon, and which will double up as a guest room if needed. The computer table could make the family room look cluttered with the papers and stationery etc that it's used for, not to mention the hundreds of wires for wifi, phone line etc. All the files also stay near the computer table for easy access.

TIA
Would this computer get a lot of use in a work at home situation? If not, then I'd put it in the bedroom as it sounds like you don't like the look of it in your living room or family room.
#11 of 11 Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

After editing my original question once, I still had mistakes which I edited just now. I had been saying living room for family room. Just not used to saying family room, I guess - never had one.

I am not watching anything that is so private I don't want anyone to see . It could be anything, an email from a friend, signing into a bank account or being on Mothering. Yes, it's not necessary to be reading or replying with someone around, but sometimes I just have to read things immediately. Plus, my family is in each other businesses a lot, including me. It might be like why are you reading this trash news or this YouTube video or whatever. If the futon and screen face each other, it's just going to be someone sitting behind you - immediate family, friends that can potentially read your information that I don't want to hide, but don't exactly want to make public. It could just be an urgent letter I need to type. So, yes, it seems like am uncomfy spot.

We gave up cable tv and have just an antenna. He had to connect a wire to where the computer was going to be.

I work part time from home. I don't know if I will continue working from home as I am moving quite close to the company I work for. My work is not at all private. But of course if I had a guest staying over and hanging out on the futon behind me, I won't be able to concentrate, of course. I don't know. It's just hypothetical. But at present, I am so glad no one can look at the screen except if they came around and peeked, because every day we have realtors coming over with clients to show our place. And I have been doing my office work sometimes when they are here. This is certainly not an every day situation, but I have on rare occasions left a private email open where like maybe a friend is venting about her dp or something on those lines. Yeah, I do have at least 3 friends who are only in touch via email and one of them via snail mail too.

In these circumstances, we have decided to put it in our bedroom.

Thanks everyone for your input.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page