New frugal mamas thread? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2004, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the gift ideas! I'm a "crafty" mom, but lately I don't have time to complete knit or sew projects (Mr. B is almost 8 months now, and Mr. R just turned 3), but I like to do craft-style gifts. I'll be trying the cordial and the vanilla sugar, f'sure. One year, I made a spiced cocoa mix (if I find the recipe, I'll post it), and gave that with tiny liqueur bottles to go with it. Amaretto and Frangelico are very nice, and the tiny bottles don't cost much. The cocoa mix was cocoa, sugar, ginger, and cinnamon, basically, but I can't remember the proportions off the top of my head. There may have been a pinch of red pepper powder, too.

RE dumpsters--the college ones are, indeed, terrific at the end of the school year. Also the dumpsters at the expensive apartment complexes, although it may be more difficult to get to those. A friend of mine found a working TV in one, nothing wrong with it at all.

We've used the window shrink-wrap stuff. It works pretty well, but sometimes our cats would shred the bottom part on a few windows. It's pretty much the only thing we use a blow-dryer for, anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 07:02 PM

just wanted to say that when I was still living at home, my father would tape this huge clear plastic over my bedroom window in the winter--he didn't know about the shrink wrap stuff--and it still made a big difference!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:07 PM

When I lived in a really old house in Portland, OR we tried the shrink wrap and it would never stick to the frame. Too damp and the wood was too warped.

We finally went to HOme Depot and got some Visquene and just stapled it over the windows. It worked really well.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:06 AM

Ah free rocks doesn't it????
Today was "junk" day in aneighborung town and hubby came home with a 3foot slide and an adjustable basketball hoop. It goes from 3 foot to about 6.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Old 10-05-2004, 02:09 AM

Ok, so this isn't exactly frugal in it's best sense, but I've done some great things and made some great deals lately, I just have to share.

We built a desk and installed it into our closet (after getting rid of a bunch of junk) so that I can have my very own private, albeit liliputian in scale, office! I designed it, bought the supplies and tools, and built the damn thing MYSELF. Grrrrrrl power!!!

THEN I found a stackable W/D in GREAT shape for about 1/2 the price of new and once it's installed it will net us SO much storage and kitchen space! I can push the portable dishwasher into the space where the drier is now and we'll have room to actually eat in the kitchen! No more spills on the carpet!

FINALLY, I got a guy to drop his price $150 for an absolutely GORGEOUS super stain treated, excellent condition, couch and oversized chair for our living room. We can finally start to move out of the whole dorm-room chic era of our lives!!!!!

SO, yes we are spending money, but I've been searching and saving for months now and if I have to spend all my time in the house, I want to be comfortable, darnit!!

Now we're going to have to sell a used, used W/D; a couch; two bed/chairs; and a desk. I may also be able to convice my DH to sell some of the things in the garage! I hear garage sale coming on. Anyone live in LA - I'll cut you a deal!!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:22 PM

One good way to get presents for everyone for Christmas is to host a home show of something like Tupperware, Partylite, etc. if you have friends who do have money. : Even a reasonably small party retail wise often comes with good perks like discounted products, free items, etc. I usually hold a few a year (on top of being a consultant) and get things I know my family will like after I've gotten whatever item I just "had to have" for myself. I had a hostess last year host a party and she ended up getting over $200 in products for free... between the party she had with me and two others she held w/ a different company, she had her Christmas set at no cost to her.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:36 PM

C'mon over the Oct. thread y'all!!
Here we are:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...32#post2180132

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

User Tag List