G.O.O.D. (getting out of debt) Sept. thread! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 10-01-2004, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hanna stuff on ebay is affordable soemtimes...at least when it actually is bought by me! I get frustrated with selling stuff on ebay because I don't have a postage scale. I think if I did it more then I'd fork over the 40 bucks to get one. That way you can estimate postage very effectively and not have to make 2 trips to the post office.

I've gotten a lot of erins winter stuff - llbean snowsuit for instance -- on ebay. I think people buy that stuff, use it once and then sell it. Which is great for me -- we need 2 snowsuits because sometimes one is still wet from the snow when we go back outside to play.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#92 of 95 Old 10-04-2004, 02:01 PM

I'm so impressed with people who are good at buying used clothes. I've never had much luck with e-bay. Everything seems much more worn than I expect. I have bought a few t-shirts, etc. from thrift stores and garage sales too but I still have a hard time finding decent clothes without spending hours and hours digging through the wrong stuff.

I have the most luck buying retail at end of season sales. I can find kids' clothes for $2-3 or less at places like Gymboree, Gap, and especially department stores. I also sometimes buy winter coats/etc. from lands end overstocks for a reasonable price. I worked at a Kids R Us in high school so I know how low the prices will go if you buy at the right time. Adult clothes are the same way, you just have to know when to look and how long to wait.

kerc - I especially appreciated the comment from your friend. What could possibly be at the mall that can't wait until your DH comes home from the library? Having one car is certainly less convenient, but I think people who have "mall emergencies" have their priorities screwed up.
#93 of 95 Old 10-04-2004, 05:50 PM

nak
I used to be great at second-hand clothing shopping...before I had my 2nd child. Now it's much harder to browse, and it does require a lot of time to dig up quality stuff. I especially miss yard sales, but it's too much hassle to get the kids in out in out of the car, ya know? Next summer when the baby's older, I'll leave them with DH and hit the yard sales alone.

I haven't tried buying clothing on ebay yet...only diapers and I do get great deals on those. I also plan to sell them after they've been outgrown. We have a new/gently-used baby consignment shop opening up here in town and I plan to buy/sell/trade there also. (We had one before and I was so disappointed when they closed).

As far as GOOD, I have another option opening up. DH is talking about selling the house and finding another. Maybe we can work some of this debt into our mortgage and just have one payment each month. I'll have to look into it. I've heard of people getting second mortgages for this reason, but I really don't know what I'm talking about until I get more info...

It will be good to move. I love this house but the neighbors are rotten! I can't believe how much unprovoked hostility they have shown to us and our pets. Until lately DH was talking about adding on to make enough room for all of us, but now we can think about just getting a bigger place (out of town so I can have my own garden, chickens, etc.) It will be a nace change.

"The best things in life aren't things."

#94 of 95 Old 10-04-2004, 06:52 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well, as you can tell from reading this thread and other threads, there are advantages and disadvantages to rolling your cc debt into your mortgage. Remember that your mortgage means your house is on the line--don't get your payment so high (because of your other debt) that you can't pay it and lose the house.
Also make sure that you don't get "upside down" -- meaning that you owe more on your house than it is worth.

The only advantage, I think, is getting a bigger tax break. We thought about a second mortgage but decided against it.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#95 of 95 Old 10-04-2004, 10:00 PM

here is the October thread- come join!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=202150

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page