G.O.O.D (getting out of debt) October thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 95 Old 11-09-2004, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cash system-- Right now we use it because the bank took our debit cards.

Did you know there is a federal law that you can only move money from savings to any other account 6 times a month?? We didn't. So, when dh lost his job and got the severance check I just transferred smal amounts in order to balance our budget the best. Well, we overdrafted once and the other 5 times it was me moving money to checking. Well, I went to move money again and it wouldn't do it. So, we overdrafted again (8x) and the money wouldn't transfer to the checking. So, we had to pay the overdraft (even though we had the money) fees plus they took our debit cards. Wea re now 10-12 hours from our credit union and because of the stupidity of another we have a mark on our bank record with "Checksystems" and we can't get a checking account anywhere. So, we have to do all our banking long distance!! I hae to drive 45 minutes away to get to a service ccenter for credit unions!

Now, a bit of excitement, dh has a job interview on wednesday at 1pm. It isn't the power plant job which is fine. Its an interview with a church (dh is a minister) and he thought he wanted to leave ministry but he realizes he really misses it. So, POSITIVE thoughts for tomorrow!!

More excitement, he called me yesterday during his break at work and said that he did a lot of thinking this weekend. He apologized for sometimes making me feel pressured into buying certain things and not just taking my word that we can't afford it. He made a commitment to me to be more trusting and more satisfied with the things we have.

I just wanted to cry

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#92 of 95 Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 PM

Hi - new here, and very interesting to read everyone's posts. I definitely recommend to get out of credit card debt first and foremost! Also, DH and I both have student loans, but mine are at a higher percentage rate due to when the loans came out, so we are paying that one down first, even though DH owes about $90,000 more than me in student loan debt.

I have been thinking about selling things on Ebay here and there...but I don't have a digital camera to post my photos. I feel like people are most interested in things only if they can see a picture of them.

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#93 of 95 Old 11-11-2004, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Megan- we have been through that exact same thing!! Since dh is self-employed he has a business account and we ususally just bank online and transer money into our personal account. We've been "warned" several times about going over our limit. We have run out of our grace period and now we only have 2x a month. So, we are getting better about dh writing a paper check to me and then i deposit it. So sorry about your situation- that sucks!!

kerc- how i figured out our system is that ive been trackign our spending for several months, so I know what our committed expenses are and what we were spendign on everything else. "everything else" wasn't necessarily necessary items. I just bought them and hoped we could cover it (though they *seemed necessary*). If i could cut a lot of those expenses, we should be able to have a fairly sig. leftover amount to throw at cc. So i just decided, ok, $100 a week (avg.) for food, and $100 for everything else- mostly because i am trying to keep our overall monthly expenditures under a certain amount. Doing little things like putting that jacket on laywaway, or realizing that since I have a chiro appt. this week, we need to put off buying the xyz until next week. So far we have spent up to the last dollar of our $200 a week (but havent' gone over), but I am going to cut back $10 starting next week and see how we do.

I'm glad so many others are trying it!! Lets keep posting our tips.

Peppermint- thanks for the jacket offer. where do you live? since we're in Maine, it gets mighty cold here. I'm wondering if Carters jackets are made for single digits weather? I get so snobby about my outerwear. LMK 'cause i can get out of layaway- if you'll take less than $30

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#94 of 95 Old 11-11-2004, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

New thread y'all. Come on over:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=2274770

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#95 of 95 Old 11-11-2004, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer
Peppermint- thanks for the jacket offer. where do you live? since we're in Maine, it gets mighty cold here. I'm wondering if Carters jackets are made for single digits weather? I get so snobby about my outerwear. LMK 'cause i can get out of layaway- if you'll take less than $30

We live in Syracuse NY, the NY city with the highest snowfall last year, single digits are common, the coat is warm, I'll send it to you for shipping cost, I was going to donate it- what size? 2T, or 3T? PM me, ok?

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page