The $0 Holiday Challenge - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 625 Old 11-14-2005, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nikki and LinzLuvs: Thanks! I'm going to make these for my SIL. I've never done it, so if they don't turn out well, I'll use them myself! But they seem very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 625 Old 11-14-2005, 09:10 PM

Some of my favorite things to do over the years have been:
-apple butter and other canned fruits -- so few people actually can anymore and they're thrilled to get homemade preserves, etc. You can buy mason jars at the thrift store (or keep the storebought jelly jars, heck even a plastic margarine tub will do) but do buy new lids. I like to wrap the top with a little left over fabric scrap OR raffia OR ribbon (if you want to splurge, add a little ornament also from the thrift store)

-crocheted Christmas tree ornaments -- very quick and easy to make

-crocheted doilies

-pics of my son with a frame from the dollar store (I've always wanted to make frames, but never end up actually doing it)

-plates of the treats I make at Christmas on a ribbon-festooned plate

-this year I'm making fleece no-sew blankies for my sis's family and friends' kids. I'm a quilter but can't keep up with everyone's procreation these days. These are super cheap and very quick to make

Rebecca, single mama to intact Junebug 6/01, Daughter of the King!
#303 of 625 Old 11-14-2005, 09:31 PM

the cinnamon in the salt dough ornaments is to cover up their yucky smell. I hate the way they smell w/out cinnamon. I made some more yesterday and added ground cloves to the ornaments, and wow, they smell awesome!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#304 of 625 Old 11-15-2005, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Okay someone posted the capri-sun bag link and they got a great site- here are some ideas!

Personal Pillows: http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/sec...s.asp#bookmark
ABC Book: http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/books_homemade.asp
"This book belongs to" labes : http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/book_labels.asp
Duvet Cover (thinking of making one for my sister!: http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/duvet-cover.asp
A family tree- I am so doing this for my parents! : http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/fam...-pictorial.asp

just some I liked- but there are very cool things in this site!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#305 of 625 Old 11-15-2005, 10:38 AM

I don't know if this has been posted, but how about a gingerbread house kit for families with kids. I've never done this, but I guess you would just make gingerbread and cut out the pieces, include candy for decorations, and either the storebought or homemade icing (or a recipe for making the icing). Put it in a pretty box and voila.

The family can spend some time X-mas morning putting it together.
#306 of 625 Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 AM

For anyone who has made the Eye Spy Bags, where is the final seam? My mom wants to make some and saw one a friend had made, but she said she can't tell where the final seam is. Any help would be great!! We have all the supplies, just need to know where that pesky final seam is

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#307 of 625 Old 11-17-2005, 03:19 PM

I just thought of another idea! A candy wreath, when I was a kid a neighbor would make us one every christmas, she used Brach's "Milkmaid" Candies, and attached a pair of scissors. You could use any candy that is wrapped, or a combo. I just looked up how to do this & it's simple. The most frugal way is to use a wire clothes hanger. You have to cut it in half, with wire cutters, & bend it into a circle, you can make a loop to hang but optional. You could use a store bought frame, but we're trying to save $$, right? Then you cut several 12 inch pieces of curling ribbon, loop the ribbon around the wire, secure by tieing then place your candy on top and tie a knot, curl ribbin, continue all around the wreath. Tie a long piece of ribbon to the wreath and attach a small pair of kids scissors.

www.momandhermoney.com/Candywreath.html
#308 of 625 Old 11-17-2005, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I, too, am feeling the pinch this holiday season. I am also trying to declutter, so in an effort to address both issues, I did my gift list "backwards" this year. Instead of making a list of people and then trying to figure out a gift for each of them, I made a list of (nice!) stuff I had on hand and then figured out who to give it to.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#309 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo
For anyone who has made the Eye Spy Bags, where is the final seam? My mom wants to make some and saw one a friend had made, but she said she can't tell where the final seam is. Any help would be great!! We have all the supplies, just need to know where that pesky final seam is

I made the I-Spy bags last year, and they were a hit I put the final seam along the top of the bag. You couldn't tell that's where it was (unless you looked VERY hard), because the rest of the bag had been turned and topstitched. I posted about it early in this thread last year. HTH...have fun making the bags. It's a fun project!
#310 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 05:56 AM

Quick question about the I spy bags...can they be made with rice? Also....where do you buy the clear plastic? that is used for the window? Can anything else be used?

I'm making bath salts and sugar scrubs this year for most of my family....we are super broke this year! lol...

this thread is great and it is amazing to me that it is still here for this long!

#311 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidewashables

I'm making bath salts and sugar scrubs this year for most of my family....we are super broke this year! lol...

Do you have a recipe for the sugar scrub?
#312 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 AM

This is what I am using....no lemon juice though. You may have to adjust the oils/scents according to your own nose!

1 clear jar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil (other oils work)
lemon juice (optional)
scented essential oils (optional)

5 minutes 5 mins prep

mix the sugar and olive oil.
add any optional scents you like.
I have discovered that adding
peppermint oil or orange oil helps refresh you,
while lavender is more soothing.

to use: place some on a wash cloth and rub
in circles anywhere you need exfoliation.
After letting it sit for awhile the sugar may settle,
so it may be necessary to shake this up a little before using.
#313 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidewashables
Quick question about the I spy bags...can they be made with rice? Also....where do you buy the clear plastic? that is used for the window? Can anything else be used?

this thread is great and it is amazing to me that it is still here for this long!

Yes, you can make them with rice And the clear plastic--well, I bought one of the super cheap clear shower curtains and cut it up. I made 7 bags and had most of the shower curtain left. You don't use much because you just cut out a small window (about 4.5-5 in. square) for the bag.

Oh, and thanks for the sugar scrub recipe Question about it, though-- does this keep for very long, or will it spoil?
#314 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 03:36 PM

about 7 months or so I think it depends on the temp it is kept in.....

Great clear plastic shower curtain great great
#315 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I put the final seam along the top of the bag
Thanks Ligmom!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#316 of 625 Old 11-18-2005, 08:09 PM

For all you I spy bag makers, I wonder why the bag is superior to the bottles? I don't hear anyone talking about making bottles, and they seem way easier to put together. Am I missing something?
#317 of 625 Old 11-20-2005, 06:40 PM

For all you I spy bag makers, I wonder why the bag is superior to the bottles? I don't hear anyone talking about making bottles, and they seem way easier to put together. Am I missing something?

What kind of bottles do you use to make them in a bottle?
#318 of 625 Old 11-20-2005, 07:13 PM

Liter bottles, like small soda bottles or water bottles. I just came across the idea in a family fun book this weekend, and they used bottels too!

And I have also seen that plastic stuff sold on huge rolls at Walmart for very little money, like 90 cents a yard, so if you only bought a foot or so it would be super inexpensive!
#319 of 625 Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 PM

We made lots of gifts last yr. Many I have seen mentioned. I like allrecipes for many ideas. Food Gifts Fabulous Food Gifts! .
One thing I made last yr that I haven't seen mentioned is a bowl. It was kind of time consuming, but they turned out nice. You coat a bowl with petroleum jelly and turn it upside down. Then get stips of newspaper (or pieces) enough for I think it was ten coats. Mix some glue and water and dip the paper and then start coating the bowl. When it is dry flip it over and seperate it from the dish. Then do a layer around the rim. When that is dry do a layer or so of your favorite colored tissue and then spray with some acrylic. I filled mine up with home made goodies last yr!

We also made some painted lucky rocks for my nephews.
#320 of 625 Old 11-20-2005, 09:07 PM

I am making stationary/cards that are blank to give in a swap and for other gifts. i also will make several jar giftables and some rice bags for aches and pains. for the rice bags, i bought some cheap but nice dish towels and will add some lavendar to those.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#321 of 625 Old 11-21-2005, 04:19 AM

oooh yeh the rice packs..

I'm making small versions of those for all the kids in my family/friends.....

We love them here so I thought maybe other families might like as well!

liter bottles.....great....thanks for posting that~
#322 of 625 Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 AM

We are struggling this year so I'm going to subscribe and read all this when I have the time! What a great thread!

:
#323 of 625 Old 11-23-2005, 08:24 PM

For my mom, I bought a 13 pocket file folder on sale and I'm filling it with cards, sorted by occasion. The cards are printed off our Hallmark card studio. One of the pockets is filled with return address labels for the envelops. We're doing about fifty cards, total, divided up like this:

5 kids birthday
10 adult birthday
5 sympathy
5 "hang in there"/support
5 wedding
5 new baby
5 graduation
10 blank

Oh, I can't remember the other catagories. Anyway, it is a pretty cheap gift so far, although not $0. My nephews (all toddlers) are all getting blocks make with scrap wood, in little muslin bags sewn by me. I am even decorating the blocks with my woodburning kit. Those are $0 for three nephews. So . . . $0 times 3 nephews = $0 :

This is a great thread . . .let's keep those ideas coming!!

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#324 of 625 Old 11-23-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdypea
For my mom, I bought a 13 pocket file folder on sale and I'm filling it with cards, sorted by occasion. The cards are printed off our Hallmark card studio. One of the pockets is filled with return address labels for the envelops. We're doing about fifty cards, total, divided up like this:

5 kids birthday
10 adult birthday
5 sympathy
5 "hang in there"/support
5 wedding
5 new baby
5 graduation
10 blank

What a nice gift, I wish someone would do that for me- LOL, along with a calendar telling me when to send the b-day/ anniversary cards.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#325 of 625 Old 11-24-2005, 12:08 AM

sorry was under DHs name!
#326 of 625 Old 11-24-2005, 12:10 AM

okay it is me now---

Okay want an easy fudge recipe? This is so super yummy.... I made some for my dad and shipped it to Seattle, my cousin was there when it got there today and he called and said "You made this? this rocks!"

FUDGE RECIPE EASY

1/2cup milk
1 stick (1/2 cup butter cubed)
1 bag 12oz of choc chips (or any kinda chips you want)
4 cups of powdered sugar

Heat the milk and butter until melted then add the choc chips until melted. Then pour it into the powered sugar and mix well add nuts if you like. Put it in the fridge for 1 1/2 hours... So good..... And you can make one batch into several gifts!

Also- does anyone want a really great pickeled egg recipe? My neighbor just gave me hers and it is easy and they are super yummy- if you liked pickeled eggs! so if you want it let me know and I will post it!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

#327 of 625 Old 11-24-2005, 06:33 AM

WOWZERS!

That fudge recipe looks yummy...I think I'll be trying that!

Thanks for posting it!!
#328 of 625 Old 11-24-2005, 02:15 PM

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure whether these have been brought up or not...

I'm doing T shirt pillows out of salvaged T shirts, for all the kids on our list. I sew the bottom, and both arms shut from the inside, then turn rightside out, stuff and sew up the neck. I did 13 pillows with one box of 5# if pillow stuffing.

For grownups, we bought canvas grocery bags wholesale for 1.30 each. We're doing iron on transfers of the grandkids on some, and we made silk screen designs out of an embroidery hoop, paint, pantyhose, and elmer's glue-so some we'll be silk screening a few.

Last year I made boo boo pillows for kids-sewed up rice and peppermint or eucalyptus/lavener oil into small packets to be kept in the freezer for when a cold pack is needed.

We did neck/eye pillows with flax seeds and essential oils last year too.
#329 of 625 Old 11-24-2005, 10:52 PM

Mollysummer- those ideas are all great! where did you get the bags?

#330 of 625 Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 PM

TOTALLY OT, but meemee, I love your signature line! When my dd was 3, she liked to talk about vaginas (also penises, clitorises, and vulvas), often vociferously in public. (As in, "Is that a woman? Why? Is it because she has a clitoris instead of a penis?")

Oye Yemaya oloto

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page