The $0 Holiday Challenge - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 625 Old 09-23-2006, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9m9m9 View Post
This is a great thread and I have really been inspired. I was just thinking that I really didn't want to buy another toy for DD as we have so many but now I have been inspired to make most of her gifts.

I am the kind of person who needs explicit instructions for crafts ... so I searched and found these for the I Spy Bags in case someone else needs them.

http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconferenc...I_spy_bag1.pdf

There are some other cute nice ideas in the same file.

Maggie

You could also print the work pages from that website and put them into page protectors. Put them in a binder. And give to children with a dry erase marker. That way the work pages are reusable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 625 Old 09-28-2006, 01:32 AM

:

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
#423 of 625 Old 09-28-2006, 04:14 PM

we aren't doing a no spend christmas, but more a spend as little as possible. i'm going to have to go back and read the whole thread after the baby goes to sleep at night. i'm looking forward to seeing what evreyone has in store for this year.
#424 of 625 Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM

It is going to be a tight one for us as well. Though goodness knows dd will **** get a craplaod of stuff from other people!
#425 of 625 Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 PM

I don't remember if this was mentioned or not, but I go to the dollar store and get 8"X10" frames really cheap. Then I have DD *draw* a picture on computer paper with colors that match the recipient's home decor. I wrap them up, and voila!

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#426 of 625 Old 10-01-2006, 03:36 AM

I just stumbled upon this link for making gift baskets:

http://www.creativeladiesministry.com/gift.html

Some great ideas here!
#427 of 625 Old 10-01-2006, 09:20 AM

Can someone suggest where to find canning jars? I haven't seen any in a long time, seems like. I want to make some of those cookies/drinks in a jar for Christmas presents

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#428 of 625 Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
Can someone suggest where to find canning jars? I haven't seen any in a long time, seems like. I want to make some of those cookies/drinks in a jar for Christmas presents
Grocery, Wal-mart, and Agway all carry them. Ask someone, you have probably walked right by them.
#429 of 625 Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
I am trying to think of ways to decorate a rice sock, so it deosnt look like you are just giving a sock!! ANy ideas?
im' still on page four : but i'm totally LOVING this thread! just wanted to throw out this idea for the socks.... to dress up a rice sock so it doesnt look like its just a "sock" - how about making a face on it, and adding some yarn scraps for hair (or even "rags" for hair?? or a quick hat sewn from scraps) and then call it a "boo boo buddy". put big lips on it, with paint or fabric scraps, so it can "kiss" the boo boos away. include instructions to place in the freezer for a nice cold compress, or to warm in the microwave for a warm snuggly.
#430 of 625 Old 10-03-2006, 08:59 AM

Gift Certificates for DOING things to help your gift recipients.
We (DH & I) - Are building a dividing wall in my moms basement. She is paying for the materials but we are giving the labor. For my daycare parents I am giving them each a g.c for an evening out for childcare. I'm still working on things for the rest.
It sounds horrible but we are trying to come up with frugal ideas for everyone else so we can buy each other a few surprises - This will be our first Christmas to stay in OUR home in 7 years! So we each want a few surprises for ourselves & DD under the tree!

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#431 of 625 Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 AM

I plan on making most of my gifts this year as well!

For Dss I'm making a gamer shirt, and also a book on strange/wierd facts that I have been scouring the Internet for.

For DS#2 I'm making a personalized Vancouver Canuck shirt, pillowcases and new curtain for his bedroom. My mom his making him a new blanket for his bed, so I'm co-ordinating with it :P

For DS#3 I'm making the I spy bag, wooden blocks (dh is doing that), and puppets

For DH I'm making spiced nuts, homemade aftershave and a tshirt

My sister is getting homemade hair sticks (made from chopsticks), also bobby pins Decorated with beads, and other "girly" things

For Grandparents I'm making (with the help of the kids) wind chimes, tshirts, various baking
Also another thing I'm doing for the gparents, is getting Ds#2 to draw pictures on grid paper and then I'll use his designs to make cross stitch bookmarks

For friends I'm going to make Eye pillows, and sugar scrubs.

That's my "to do" list so far

I also made Hors devours "sticks" (ha, I don't know what to call them)
What I did was take 5 bamboo skewers and cut them in half, and then glued seashells onto the tops. They look quite neat.

Also another idea I found somewhere online was to trace the kids hands on paper, cut them out, and laminate them to make coasters.
#432 of 625 Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 PM

I'm going to set a $100 limit for Christmas spending. I'm making gifts for my nephews (knitting hats, already own the yarn), making food gifts for DBs and SILs (apple preserves and apple butter). Family photos for all the parents. DS will only get one toy and a book from DH and I. His grandparents will probably over do. We will buy a tree (farm around the corner has CYO for $15). The meal will be special because we'll have dessert. I may get some wine for our Christmas dinner. Birdseed for the birds and apples for our horses.

Of course I have to bring this up to DH. Having a white Christmas would help. DS has winter boots so we can all go outside and play in the snow.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#433 of 625 Old 10-04-2006, 08:21 PM

Wow what a lot of great ideas! I'm subbing!
#434 of 625 Old 10-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeiouys View Post
For Grandparents I'm making (with the help of the kids) wind chimes, tshirts, various baking
How are you doing this?

ETA: I mean the wind chimes.
#435 of 625 Old 10-10-2006, 09:05 PM

: bump
#436 of 625 Old 10-10-2006, 09:08 PM

Someone on another thread in Frugality and Finances brought up the Little House on the Prairie books and Christmas.

In the Ingalls household, Christmas was a loving family affair where each child recieved one useful gift and a piece of candy.

I like this concept of simplicity and utilitarianism. I am thinking of employing it with my own family!

Christmas should not be about consumerism, but about family traditions and celebration.
#437 of 625 Old 10-16-2006, 02:12 AM

I have read the entire thread. I feel that is a major accomplishment in itself. Setting my options to display 200 posts per page helped, it was only 3 pages.

I am in trouble. There are SO many good ideas, I want to do everything. I'm already in love with the I spy bags, got to do those. I also love the idea of alphabet bean bags.

I am thinking I'll teach myself to make homemade candy and do gift baskets - I already have some apple butter canned, so that's a start. I'm pretty good at cooking and I already know how to make toffee covered pretzels (yum) so I'm thinking a few more things - peppermint bark sounds good, gingerbread loaves and fudge and I'll have a pretty yummy gift basket. I just got to figure out what I could freeze beforehand and what needs to be made right before giving.

I'm thinking for the grandparents (especially my grandma) of making a fabric picture display thing - dunno what to call it, but basically a fabric wall hanging with clear plastic pockets pictures can be tucked in.

We did the children's picture calendar's last year, that was a big hit, but I want to make them homemade this year instead of slapping down $20 each (I think my mom actually bought them last year)

I love the firestarters for my grandparents & my parents who both do fires all the time, but they need to be classy - I like the pinecone/raffia idea for that.

I love the hand cozy things someone posted for the kids (fleece sleeves that go over the thumb and up the arm to keep kids wrists and hands cozy) and I also like the idea of hand warmers for everyone.

My eyes are bigger than my stomach so to speak. Not sure I have enough time for all this. And all my crafting stuff is still packed in my mom's attic. Buh!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#438 of 625 Old 10-16-2006, 10:20 AM

Ok,
I'm starting my to do list here (will hopefully keep me accountable):

1. Grandparents get: framed photo of the girls, a cherry pit bag, and wool scarves (for the cool-weather GPs), home canned hot pepper jelly for the granddads.

2. Siblings/sibs in-law get: cherry pit bag, wool scarves, homemade goodies of some sort.

3. Niece-I Spy bag, mini cherry pit bag, felted wool crown, maybe scarf/hat. Heavy baby for her Dec. birthday.

4. Nephew-teethig ring kit, snoedel doll, felted wool balls

5. DH-wool scarf, my endless love, whatever else I can think of

6. DD#1-Mermaid Waldorf doll, I spy bag, cherry pit bag, clothes/diapers for her Waldorf dolls, some little dolls, gnomes, or furniture for a treehouse dollhouse (some of this will probably get bumped to her birthday because she always gets way too much stuff from others for the holidays)

7. DD#2-wooden teething ring, small waldorf doll (bunting baby maybe), "lovie" size quilt.

While it's not going to be $0 exactly, I have most of the materials here and have been trying to accumulate the rest via swaps or by buying a little each month so it won't be a big expense all at once. My hope is to firmly cement a tradition of a 90% or more homemade holiday vs. a get stressed out shopping and overspending holiday tradition. We'll see how it goes.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
#439 of 625 Old 10-16-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I love the hand cozy things someone posted for the kids (fleece sleeves that go over the thumb and up the arm to keep kids wrists and hands cozy) and I also like the idea of hand warmers for everyone.

My eyes are bigger than my stomach so to speak. Not sure I have enough time for all this. And all my crafting stuff is still packed in my mom's attic. Buh!
Ok, I think I missed this one, where is how to make the fleece sleeves? My sons would love those!

Loving these ideas, I think my kids (and freinds' too) will end up with more gifts than usual just so I can try all the ideas out lol
#440 of 625 Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apryl Srissa View Post
Ok, I think I missed this one, where is how to make the fleece sleeves? My sons would love those!

Loving these ideas, I think my kids (and freinds' too) will end up with more gifts than usual just so I can try all the ideas out lol
There wasn't a how to - just a link to something someone was selling:
http://www.wristies.com/shop/item.as...id=41&catid=18

But I think I could manage to make my own patter for it.

#441 of 625 Old 10-20-2006, 12:56 AM

Glad we are back! Last year we did jars of spiced nuts and a hot coffee drink mix for everyone. Seemed to be a big hit! We did end up doing something more for Grandparents too, like a frame or small gift. All in all it was less than one hundred dollars for everything for 16 gifts.
This year I want to make everyone handknit dishcloths and include my favorite handsoap from trader joes. I don't know if I can make that many in the time left though. DH says he wants to help too, if I can teach him. Right now it takes me 2 nights to complete one. I know I would love to receive this as a gift, but I'm not sure if people will appreciate them or not?? Then I have to think of cheap but cute packaging. Any ideas?
#442 of 625 Old 10-20-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraven721 View Post
Glad we are back! Last year we did jars of spiced nuts and a hot coffee drink mix for everyone. Seemed to be a big hit! We did end up doing something more for Grandparents too, like a frame or small gift. All in all it was less than one hundred dollars for everything for 16 gifts.
This year I want to make everyone handknit dishcloths and include my favorite handsoap from trader joes. I don't know if I can make that many in the time left though. DH says he wants to help too, if I can teach him. Right now it takes me 2 nights to complete one. I know I would love to receive this as a gift, but I'm not sure if people will appreciate them or not?? Then I have to think of cheap but cute packaging. Any ideas?
I thinl that's an awesome idea...I would just wrap the soap in the dishtowel and tie with a ribbon.
#443 of 625 Old 10-20-2006, 09:58 AM

Last year I found a bunch of different scarves at a thrift store and used those to wrap my mom's gifts, it was really cheap, and looked really nice with ribbon. Plus, she loves scarves, so it was like extra gifts too.
#444 of 625 Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 AM

I am so glad that someone mentioned the pipes.
my dd is really into water so we are making her a pipe set for her to put water in, we are even including some valves for her to turn on and off

another idea is a triangle large enough to attatch a dead bolt, door knob, various hook and eye type closures for kids to practice opening closing and such

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#445 of 625 Old 10-20-2006, 02:22 PM

My kids and I like to make the cinnamon applesauce ornaments every year. They actually keep very well from year to year and they make your house smell great! I usually get some cute plaid ribbon to make a tie bow and hang it on the tree, we have also tied them on the top of gifts and given them alone as gifts.

Anyway, here is the recipe. You can buy cheap bottles of cinnamon at the dollar store.

1/2 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup store bought applesauce (homemade sauce will likely be too watery)
Or, any equal portions of both ingredients depending on the quantity you desire.

Directions:
Stir together cinnamon and applesauce with a spoon until the dough becomes stiff, then use your hands to create a ball of dough.

Place the ball of dough on a sheet of waxed paper, flatten slightly with your fingers.

Place a second sheet of waxed paper over the top of the dough and roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick.

Use cookie cutters or your own template shapes.

Air dry creations on a waxed paper-covered cookie sheet or a cooling rack for at least 24 hours until they are completely hard.

Have fun!
Andrea
#446 of 625 Old 10-20-2006, 05:39 PM

I send for internet freebies throughout the year, throw them all in a drawer and use them for stocking stuffers.
#447 of 625 Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceyy View Post
I send for internet freebies throughout the year, throw them all in a drawer and use them for stocking stuffers.
What kind of internet freebies? Can you post some links of where to find them? I'm intrigued.
#448 of 625 Old 10-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceyy View Post
What kinds of freebies do you find?

ETA - that's what I get for leaving the window open and replying the next day.

#449 of 625 Old 10-21-2006, 10:10 PM

I get all kinds of internet freebies, makeup samples, deodorant, I have two Swiffer dusters, shampoo and conditioner samples, lotions, soaps, coffee, teas, tee shirts, tote bags, books, body wash, detergents,Schick razors etc. I usually send for about 5 per day. Most take a few months to get but Walmart samples usually come within a week. Some of the places I go to are: www.walmart.com
www.startsampling.com
the freebie boards at www.savingadvice.com and www.frugalvillage.com
www.freebiefriends.com

If you Google "freebie websites" , "todays freebies", or "freebie forums" a lot of sites will come up. You can also Google "baby freebies" or "men's freebies".

I don't bother with ones that ask me to fill out a long survey or show 1,2, or 3 steps that you have to complete, because they usually want you to buy something before you're eligible for the freebie. I stick to the short name, address and email forms. If there is a short survey where no purchase is required, I will fill it out.

Some freebies you will never receive but you should receive a fair number of them. L'oreal recently sent me a $13.00 coupon for the foundation makeup of my choice redeemable at any drugstore. I'm diabetic and received two coupons the other day for 12 bottles of a new diabetic drink worth $20. I have 7 tubes of deodorant. Dove sends out all kinds of samples and so does Oil of Olay. Try going to their websites and looking for free samples or follow the links to their products through freebie sites. Tide, Cheer and Gain all have samples available through their websites.

Some people complain that they never get the coffee or toothpaste samples
they sign up for. Some people keep track of what they order and if they don't receive the sample in the allotted time they will send a follow up phone call or email. They say this results in a higher percentage of freebies.

I would estimate I receive about $50 worth of freebies per month.
#450 of 625 Old 10-22-2006, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well, I am back again... I keep getting email alerts telling me of this thread, and I was one of the first ones to post on this- what?? 2 years ago now??? But, here I am back again- yes still fugal and still poor So... I am looking for ideas again! now that I have 2 little girls that are more into the spirit I have to do it up

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page