#61 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
peaut brittle, microwave version

1lb shelled p-nuts
1c light corn syrup
1c sugar
~~put these into a big 8-cup glass measuring cup and microwave on hi for 5 minutes. stir~~ microwave for 3 minutes on hi, then add:
1ts vanilla
3tbs butter, the real stuff, or margarine, not a veg spread like country crock
~~microwave on high 3 miuntes, then add
1ts baking soda, stir very quickly to mix it all together, then pour it onto 2 foil-lined cookie sheets that you sprayed with no-stick spray. spread it with a butter knife you also sprayed w/ non-stick spray.

allow to harden, then, using the foil, pick up the brittle and drop on the counter a couple of times, then pick up the bigger pieces and break by hand.

i did this from memory, so i hope it's all right, lol...i've made it enought that i ought to know it by heart, lol.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#62 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 01:19 PM

does anyone have a good gingerbread recipe? like the actual bread, not the cookies...

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#63 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja mama
I've actually tried to tell all my friends that we're either making or recycling all of the gifts that leave our house. Somehow that was the hardest thing. Once I'd mentioned what we are doing, I feel absolved of the guilt. Now if they choose to buy us gifts, it's because they want to, not because I expect them to spend money.

I just phrased it as a novel idea I'd heard, trying to cut down on consumerism, handmade and chosen from our house gifts mean a lot more...
I so respect this. I also understand how hard it is- I've never made a formal announcement and have always felt worried about how the handmade gifts were received. This year I'm going to "recycle" or "borrow" your idea and tell everyone this ahead of time to clear the air.

Thanks for posting that.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#64 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 03:24 PM

Wow a whole thread filled with great ideas- thanks mamas.

Even with wonderful ideas, I'll have to work on what the OP talked about with not getting overwhelmed too.

On the subject of beanbags- I have made alphabet beanbags and they are a huge hit.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#65 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone have some ideas for men/boys?
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#66 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 03:41 PM

My dh makes an awesome aftershave that we both love. I can get the 'recipe' from him if you like. I think he found it on care2.com

I know it uses tea tree oil, witch hazel, aloe vera gel, rose water, etc.

all the other things that have been posted, btw

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#67 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 03:42 PM

That would be great, thanks!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#68 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 04:15 PM

you all are awesome!! thank so much for posting your ideas!

the only thing i have come up w/ that is not listed is making home made granola.
making granola is pretty easy ( i used to make it at a restaurant i managed) and so yummy! i'm sorry- i don't have the recipe anymore.
#69 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 05:30 PM

I love this thread, I have made my DD and my niece 9 bean bags each- in pretty girl colors- I have them all sewn but I need to get the filler- should I use rice, or beans or birdseed? I made my nephew 10 beanbags 5 with "X's" and 5 with "O's" I have to also fill those. I will post photos when I am done. I am looking for a winter fleece hat pattern- I want the one that kinda looks like a box- does anyone know a good online pattern?

The peaut brittle looks easy enough and my dad loves it! So I am going to make some of that for my family.

Anyone have any good places to get info on how to make non-bake cookies?

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#70 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 05:54 PM

the beanbag I have is filled with feedcorn. It can be heated in the microwave (or frozen) and stays warm for a loooong time. I used it a ton on my back when I was pregnant.
#71 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 06:22 PM

Feedcorn huh??? How much does that cost- I am thinking I would need about a 5lb bag. I should call my feed store.

Okay- I have a ton of plastic milk jugs- the gallon kind, what can I do with these? Something cool- I am going to go research google!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#72 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 06:41 PM

okay here are some IDEAS!!!

Magazine House

Using an old catalog or magazine, cut out pictures of chairs, tables, curtains, bathroom fixtures and other furnishings. Spread out a newspaper or large sheet of drawing paper. Sketch an "open sided" house. Have children place the pictures of the furnishings in the rooms of their choice. They can cut out more pictures to redecorate their house, cut out pictures of people, toys, pets, anything they like!

Alphabet Catalog Collage

Using old toy, clothing, and plant catalogs, have the kids cut out colorful pictures that begin with a specific letter of the alphabet. Have them glue the pictures onto an index card and give the gift to other kids who are learning their ABC's

Tea Lover’s Gift: So many people today love tea. Of course this gift could be given to a coffee lover too, substituting a small pouch of flavored coffee instead of tea. All of your discount stores carry large varieties of oversized mugs. Get an oversized mug you think your recipient would enjoy most. Next you’ll need a box of quality tea—either herbal or a good Earl Grey or English Breakfast. A nice box of gourmet tea biscuits are available at most of the large grocery store chains for under three dollars. Throw in a chocolate coated spoon (also usually available in the gourmet section) and you have a tea (or coffee) lover’s delight.

For The SO **

Make a scrapbook of the history of your relationship with the recipient. Fill it with pictures, mementos and memories from the past. Include your own heartfelt note thanking the recipient for the value and warmth she/he adds to your life.

Put your artistic abilities to work and create a piece of art in honor of the recipient. Write a personalized song, do a painting or sketch, or write a poem.

I have written poems and framed them before also photography and framed them- you can get a print for under $0.50 and the frames for a buck or less at the second hand store. This always makes my mother cry!

If you have artistic flair, purchase blank note cards with envelopes. Decorate the cards with your own drawings to make personalized note cards for your loved one.

Use a desktop publishing program or your calligraphy skills to create a wall-hanging featuring a inspirational quote or Bible verse that is particularly meaningful. If you are handy with a needle and embroidery floss, do the same thing using your needlework skills. Display the finished product in an inexpensive, yet attractive frame.

I have taken most of these right off the internet! So, if I get slamed for copying then I will be in jail come the holidays and I guess I will not have to worry about gifts anyhow!

DP needs the computer, but I will keep looking tonight and post more!

#73 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 06:54 PM

am thinking the aftershave would be useful for 2 on my list....

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#74 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 07:03 PM

here's one for bay rum aftershave. My DH it!
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=72514

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#75 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus
tricia, I am in the same boat, my ds turns 8 on the 19th of December. It is hard enough to buy for one thing, but two! whew!!

ditto, ds will be 5 on the 14th...

love the spa day idea!!!!

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#76 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 08:01 PM

I think I got this years ago from Martha S., but not sure. I also have one from a 2001 Issue of Real Simple. I think I got one from the book How to Cook Everything as well.

Chocolate Truffles

Makes about 5 dozen

28 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2tablespoons liqueur, such as Cognac, Grand Marnier, or Poire William (optional)
Best-quality cocoa powder

1. Make the ganache; place 16 ounces of chocolate and the cream in the top of a double boiler, or a heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted; remove from heat. Add butter and Cognac and stir until combined.

2. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until the mixture is very cold and set, but still pliable, about 2 hours.

3. Melt remaining 12 ounces chocolate in the top of a double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted; remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature.

4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Using a 1/4-ounce ice cream scoop, drop ganache onto one of the prepared baking sheets. Chill 10 minutes.

5. Coat the palm of one of your hands with about 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate. Roll balls, one at a time, between your palms until evenly coated with chocolate. Roll in cocoa powder to coat. Transfer to second baking sheet. Repeat with remaining balls, coating your palm with more chocolate as needed. Chill until ready to serve. Truffles can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

I like Sharffen Berger chocolate (melts very well), but any high-quality dark baking chocolate will do.
#77 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

OK< carlasher, can you dumb it and cheapen it down for us common peasants!!??
I need to spend about $1 or less per present
#78 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 09:02 PM

meant to post this earlier...there are lots of cute gifts for kids to make. (I have tons more links like this btw if you need them )
http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-cra...iday_gifts_ms/

#79 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

I am poking around looking for cheaper truffles, but they dont seem to exist How much does it cost to buy those fancy ingredients? I really want this to be aimed at people who are really broke like me, and it doesnt sound like something I can afford to make.

But, while poking around, I came across a few ideas for making heated rice bags :http://www.cancerlynx.com/morericebag.html
This is a cute stuffed animal out of scraps: http://www.dltk-kids.
com/animals/msocktopus.htm

I am trying to think of ways to decorate a rice sock, so it deosnt look like you are just giving a sock!! ANy ideas?
#80 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 09:17 PM

how about fabric painting for the rice bags? you can find lots of painting ideas here btw
www.duncancrafts.com/projects/list.asp

here is a long list of truffle recipes too you should be able to find something to fit your budget among these!
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/candytruffle/truffle.html

#81 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 09:33 PM

Quote:
OK< carlasher, can you dumb it and cheapen it down for us common peasants!!??
I need to spend about $1 or less per present
I gave each person about 2 truffles in a box - so it came down to less than $1
per person. And you can leave out the liqueur as well.
#82 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I am poking around looking for cheaper truffles, but they dont seem to exist How much does it cost to buy those fancy ingredients? I really want this to be aimed at people who are really broke like me, and it doesnt sound like something I can afford to make.

You can leave out the liqueur. It is very optional. Besides chocolate (you can get large bars of dark chocolate cheap at Trader Joes under the brand) the rest is just cream, butter and cocoa powder. I buy my cocoa powder in bulk at most any bulk section at healthy type stores (Whole Foods has it). You dont need a lot of it either.
#83 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks The ingredients sound scary, but maybe I am overreacting!! Thanks for clarifying carlasher.
Rainbow, will fabric paint be safe for the microwave?
#84 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a recipe to make bath salts. They could be made "manly" I suppose
#85 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 PM

Some non-$, non-thing ideas:

* Car detailing. As long as you have a vacuum cleaner and some basic cleaning supplies, this is a GREAT gift! Give them a coupon for COMPLETE car detailing (minus shampooing, unless you have access to a shampooer) that includes vacuuming, wiping all surfaces with cleaner, etc. Sprinkle a few drops of a nice essential oil or tuck some cloves under the mats and return the car!

* Exercise partner. I asked for a yoga partner one year, and DH's aunt "gave" this to me. Once a week she came to my house, brought a yoga tape, and we did yoga together for 45 minutes! It was so nice--and we lasted through the end of March. It motivated me, gave us special time together, and helped get me in better shape.

* If you have a scanner and a CD burner (or access to one), get a bunch of old photos from the person, scan them, and make them a CD.
#86 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 11:00 PM

one thing I make every year (and only once a year) is chocolate covered pretzels! I usually do both white and regular chocolate and use red/green sprinkles.they are easy to make (a little time consuming though)and pretty cheap to make if you buy everything in bulk and you can get tins & colored tissue paper at the $1.00 store..

I think we make make up some jalapeno jelly for small gifts as we have all the canning supplies/pectin (just need peppers which we can get CHEAP)!

my DH has never had rum balls, so I think I may make some of those too just for him

#87 of 625 Old 11-14-2004, 11:28 PM

from care2.com:

Quote:
Some men don’t like having alcohol in their aftershave. This recipe is for them!

2 cups witch hazel extract
2 ounces rose water
2 ounces aloe vera gel
1/2 ounce vegetable glycerin
A few drops of an essential oil of your choice (such as peppermint and eucalyptus), if desired

Combine the ingredients in a jar, and shake to blend. Pat on the face after shaving.

Makes 2 1/2 cups.
my dh skipped the vegetable glycerin and used tea tree oil.
It smells tea-treey for a few minutes and then fades, but still leaves a nice fresh/clean scent

He stores his in a large Frank's Hot Sauce bottle--the shaker top on those is perfect
I forget how much we spent on stuff for it, but the one batch lasts about a year with dh shaving every 3rd day
and we have enough stuff to make probably 2 or 3 more batches (just buying the normal sized containers at the store)
we could make even more if we bought more witch hazel, which is pretty cheap

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#88 of 625 Old 11-15-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980
does anyone have a good gingerbread recipe? like the actual bread, not the cookies...

Here's a recipe....(it's great with or without the spiced Creme Anglaise and you could sub homemade whipped cream with a touch of spice too)

Gingerbread with Spiced Creme Anglaise Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse

1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup turbinado sugar (or "Sugar in the Raw")
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup molasses
1 cup Guinness, or other dark beer
Spiced Creme Anglaise, recipe follows
Confectioners sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch cake pan and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and nutmeg. In a third bowl, combine the molasses and beer and stir to dissolve. Add the dry ingredients and beer mixture alternately to the egg mixture, beating after the addition of each.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake until puffed and set, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Spoon the Creme Anglaise onto the middle of 12 dessert plates. Cut the gingerbread into 12 equal portions and place on plates. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve.

Spiced Creme Anglaise:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar

Combine the cream, the zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and frothy, about 2 minutes. Slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup of the hot cream, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to warm milk and stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thick, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve warm. (Or, to serve chilled, place in an ice bath to cool, then cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.)

Yield: 2 cups Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 6 minutes Inactive Prep Time: if chilled, 2 hours

I was wondering if any of you mamas know how if that recipe would work in coffee cans?

My mom used to do that with banana or zucchini breads. She would bake them in there and then I think she would wrap the cans in nice paper and give them as gifts (I'm not one hundred percent sure if she did that or put them in nice bags).

I love this thread!
#89 of 625 Old 11-15-2004, 12:44 AM

The truffle recipe really doesn't sound that daunting. I'm definatly going to try it! I thought semisweet choc. was like chocolate chips, no? Should definatly be dark chocolate?

Rainbowmoon~ we do the choc. pretzels for stockings and for filler for easter baskets, as well. Takes the focus off the name brand candies!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#90 of 625 Old 11-15-2004, 12:46 AM

I'm making dressy scarves for some of the women in my fam by sewing two strips of this nice green crushed velvet we have together, and doing some fringe beadwork on the ends.

I'm totally loving all these ideas---I want to send gingerbread & make truffles this year!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page