The $0 Holiday Challenge - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 625 Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw these in a catalog and they were fairly pricey, so I'm making them for my Dad this year. They are circular pieces of heavy paper or stiff fabric that go around the bottom of wine glasses. You can write the person's name on them and they have a slit for putting them on (they rest on the base of the wine glass). I hope I explained that ok.

Anyway, I was planning to make a bunch, decorate them myself and add people's names that usually drink wine at their house, so they will be all ready to go (I'll also include some blank ones as well)
#242 of 625 Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 PM

I am loving all of these ideas!
#243 of 625 Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 PM

Quote:
My cousin Adrienne has started a GREAT trend. Whenever she gives a gift, she uses old clothes or scarves rather than wrapping paper. She goes to a second hand store and picks out the most outrageous prints on dresses, pants, etc. and then cuts them up to fit the size of the gift. This is eco-friendly in three ways -- the clothes probably would have been thrown out (ugly clothes make great wrapping paper), she avoids using wrapping paper herself and then encourages her recipients to use them to wrap future gifts. Imagine how much wrapping paper would be saved if we all did this!
I found this on another website. It would be neat to cut things up with pinking shears for people who don't sew, or finish the edges and then attach with pins or maybe twine or cotton string.
#244 of 625 Old 11-02-2005, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone knows how to make fleece ponchos (sp) I think I will post in the craft area too- but I want to make some for both my girls and my 2 nieces.

Also, I was thinking I am going to go over to the second hand store and get some adult dress shoes for my DD and my niece (she is 3) and for my nices I am going to have Rainey decorate them for her. Also, how can I make a tierra (sp) (head dress?) I want to make some for the girls too.

Also I was thinking I have a ton of newborn clothes from my baby and I think I am going to give those to my nieces for their dolls.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#245 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry
I found this on another website. It would be neat to cut things up with pinking shears for people who don't sew, or finish the edges and then attach with pins or maybe twine or cotton string.
That's fabulous! I've been wrapping some of my gifts in fabric for a few years now, but I have always had to have enough fabric to gather it up and tie with a ribbon. Now I can just use safety pins. I just wish I had thought of it myself.....feeling a little stupid now.

Also, I've decided to make bean bags for my son and nephew (both 2 years old) and would love to include a laminated tag with ideas for what to do with them. Any ideas? The only thing I can remember playing with beanbags for was to learn to juggle (which they are too young for) and playing Hot Potato.

I'm also using Kool Aid to dye silks I bought from Dharma Trading for them. A laminated tag with ideas for this would help my SIL as well. My nephew has a ton of platic crap that his momma buys him (Nik has plenty, but nothing like the amount of non-imaginative toys Jonah has) and I know she is going to look at the silks and wonder "what do I do with these?" So what do your kids do with their silks?

For the baby (3 months) I'm making cloth balls and cubes for him to play with. I'll have to buy some fill, but I have plenty of fabric scraps around for the outsides.

I'm making my mom homemade all-purpose cleaner, un-paper towels and trying to come up with some other things to throw in that are the same theme. For her b-day (the 26th) I'm going to make a memory jar (print out special memories on cardstock and fill a Mason jar with them…..then pretty it up with ribbon).

For my grandma I think I'm going to do the Home Organizer from earlier in this thread (a binder with calendar pages printed from the computer and pockets for bills, etc.)

My brothers will be getting homemade treats. That's all they'll want anyway! Jeremy (32) isn't married yet and can always use some good food to snack on and Jake is a chef (also not married, but only 24 so....) , but he doesn't bake.

Marc (DH) will probably get coupons for sex, get out of housework coupons (he helps me soooo much ), homemade cookies (he loves chocolate chip but I'm not crazy about them so I rarely make them...how sweet of me, right? : ), etc.

My dad is getting a frame ($2.50 at WalMart) with a poem printed on cardstock and Nik's handprint at the bottom. This gift is already done.
Quote:
My Handprint
Author Unknown

Sometimes you get discouraged
because I am so small,
and always leave my fingerprints
on furniture and walls.

But everyday I'm growing big
and soon I'll be so tall.
Then all my little handprints
will be hard to recall.

So here's a special handprint
just so that you can say;
this is how my fingers looked
when I placed them here today.
I really need to figure out what to give my MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL, Grandmother-In-Law. I'll be watching this thread for more fabulous ideas!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#246 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 PM

I've been trying to read all of the responses and maybe I missed this but what about the tree?

I do not want to buy an artificial tree. That is a huge chunk o' money anyway.

Tree lots are getting WAY expensive.

If it were up to me, I'd skip it. But the kids...even the older ones...love the tradition of the tree.
#247 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM

Well, I went to the dollar store and we got a 2 back of little yard trees- like 24 inches and we wrapped them together to make one fuller little tree- they came with lights aleady and it was under 5 bucks total! I am not spending 30-60 bucks on a tree...

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#248 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica*
Also, I've decided to make bean bags for my son and nephew (both 2 years old) and would love to include a laminated tag with ideas for what to do with them. Any ideas? The only thing I can remember playing with beanbags for was to learn to juggle (which they are too young for) and playing Hot Potato.

After reading all the great ideas on this thread I am going to try and make bean bags for my 2.5 year old son that have X's on one side and O's on the other. Then he can play X's & O's as well as what ever other games people can suggest.
#249 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinEmily
After reading all the great ideas on this thread I am going to try and make bean bags for my 2.5 year old son that have X's on one side and O's on the other. Then he can play X's & O's as well as what ever other games people can suggest.
I did this last year for my nephew. It was a big hit. I went to my local feed store and got growned corn- it was cheaper than beans and works just as good... I think I got 15lbs for like 3 bucks.

#250 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 06:19 PM

If you make two sets of prints/colours for the bean bags you won't even need to add the Xs and Os! The game could be called 'reds and greens'.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#251 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 07:15 PM

Great ideas! You've inspired me to make beanbags for my nephew (nearly 2), also. When I made them for my boys a couple years ago, we cut 3 or 4 long strings of ribbon and sewed them coming out one side (like a tail). Much more fun for throwing to play catch! I was racking my brain of something to make for nephew that wouldn't be terribly costly or time-consuming. Last year I made him a Waldorf BaBa doll, and I think his folks just kinda tossed it aside with all the crappy stuffed animals

My DH is getting a coupon book as well, and I think I'll do the same for my best friend (although she will NOT have the same coupons as DH , I'll give her 5 or so free babysitting days/nights).

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#252 of 625 Old 11-03-2005, 08:59 PM

About the tree: Sometimes they cut fairly big pieces off the top of the big trees in order to give them a better shape, which they might be willing to sell for very little or even give you. Making, in effect, a tiny tree. I love tiny trees. You can put one on an end table or the like, then there's plenty of room for presents and/or nativity scene underneath the tree and underneath the table. Extra ornaments and trimmings can be used to decorate the rest of the house. This is what my mom and I do most years.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#253 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 01:03 AM

Throw pillows-

I just found this LINK I was thinking of making my sister and who ever else some of these pillows- I may use other sweaters (not only wool) because it is cheaper than I can get wool sweaters for- but hey it is a really cute idea! And I think it could be pretty cheap!

#254 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
I've been trying to read all of the responses and maybe I missed this but what about the tree?

I do not want to buy an artificial tree. That is a huge chunk o' money anyway.

Tree lots are getting WAY expensive.

If it were up to me, I'd skip it. But the kids...even the older ones...love the tradition of the tree.

I don't know the area up there, but if there if there are any BLM offices near your city (maybe in surrounding towns?), they sell tree permits for $8-$10. Of course there are some guidelines (can't be within 100 ft of road or trail, can't cap tree, etc.), but you can just cut your own tree on public lands.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#255 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 10:29 AM

Bean Bags are great for: skip counting - balancing on your head, shoulder, elbow (learn body parts) - place letters on the ground and throw bean bag on the T, etc... -

We find a "free" real Christmas tree each year some how.... even if it is a Charlie Brown tree - either on a friend's land, our property, etc.. We could not pay the $30.00 at all either.

We decorate with greenery we cut ourselves and bows.

Bartering is also a great way to not spend $.

This is a great thread and I still need to read through all of the previous posts.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6
#256 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM

The latest Hathor cartoon has a wonderful idea for "big" kids: http://www.thecowgoddess.com/archshow.asp?var=187

Oye Yemaya oloto
#257 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 AM

I am looking for feedback...does anyone think it would be worthwhile/useful to have all the ideas and links organized into catagories in one thread (removing duplicates) from this listing?

Or is this just fine to read through?
-
#258 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 11:26 AM

I,for one,would love these great ideas all in one thread or post!
#259 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 11:47 AM

I always make presents, and try to keep them as much to $0 as I can.

A few things I have done over the years...

You know those borderless glass picture frames with the little clips that hold them together that you can get in a 3 pack at most Dollar Stores? Well, I bought a bunch of those, collected a bunch of leaves in the fall (dried them in books for a few weeks), cut a piece of wax paper the same size as the picture frame, glued it to the back pieces of the frame, arranged a few leaves on top of the wax paper, put top of frame on and clip back together - VERY PRETTY! Then wrap in brown paper and seal with string. Instead of a card or tag, you can wrtie your message right on the brown paper!

I always made jams, jellies, pickles, cranberries, etc and do up baskets (say 3 or 4 different bottles in each) for firends/neighbors. I just ask for my mason jars back when they are done so I can do it again the next year (and I find that people look forward to this now that I have done it for a few years).

I also do up xmas morning breakfast baskets of cookies, muffins, bread, tea, dried fruit.

One year I did up sets of my homemade cleaners (in mason jars) and gave them out.

With old clothes or rages, you can always make a rag rug (sew strips to gether then braid and wind) or doll clothes.

Oh - and one year I did up cook books - boughts some nice notebooks at the Dollar store, and then hand wrote in a bunch of my favorite recipes (time consuming but worth it).

Oh - you know how you can get personalised calendars made at Walmart, etc with your own pictures, etec - well , get some family pictures out and some construction paper and art supplies (ruler, glue, scissors, markers, etc) and make your own! Great present for grandparents.

I can't think of anything else right now... but I'm sure there are more things that I have done.
#260 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 04:55 PM

I am making a car rug for DS. really excited. I can personalize it with his and other family member names, and pick ideas that he likes such as a monster truck rally, airport, rotary, etc.

I am thinking that I will need fabric paint for it, but am wondering if I need to coat the paint with something else to make it more resistant to play.

I guess Ineed to get busy.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#261 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 07:40 PM

I just read through this entire thread! Tons of great ideas! Things I have done in the past: TIns of cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, Soaps, bath salts, lip glosses, hand bags, mason jar~ play dough, brownies, cookies, soup, a cocoa kit in a big mug with, mini marshmellos, semi-sweet chocolate chips & a cinnamon stick, homemade beer & wine, I often take these ideas & make a basket. Like for a couple with a young babe who rarely gets out I've done a basket for a romantic night in containing a bottle of my homemade wine, a really cool wine opener, fire starter candle things, bread sticks & bruchetta, a dark chocolate bar. For a girlfriend a couple different scented soaps, a jar of bath salts, lip gloss, & a loofa. I usually make our christmas cards too.

I had a skirt that was too roomy that I got 2nd hand It is so cute so I cut it up & I'm making a cute designer looking hand bag out of it. It still has the little tag with the RL that sticks out the side. Right up my sisters ally!

I love the cleaning kit ideas! I have been handing out microfiber cloths that I serged! I wish I had though of this before I gave them all away!

I want to do little babyfood jar snow globes.

If I think of something else I'll post again!

I love the bread of the week idea too (it was posted last year earlier on this thread) I'm just not sure I have the discipline to carry it out for 6 weks or how ever long.
My problem is I procrastinate, & run out of time!

For BIL's b-days I've done a certificate for a specific favorite meal.
#262 of 625 Old 11-04-2005, 07:44 PM

Subing Opps...
#263 of 625 Old 11-05-2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
I am looking for feedback...does anyone think it would be worthwhile/useful to have all the ideas and links organized into catagories in one thread (removing duplicates) from this listing?

Or is this just fine to read through?
-
That would be fabulous! 14 pages is getting to be a little long for people to read through easily.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#264 of 625 Old 11-06-2005, 02:17 AM

WOW -- just got this idea from the Ikea website: Buy cheap clothesline (or whatever kind of line) and wood clothespins, then decorate the clothespins (e.g. paint designs or images on them). The line and pins are used to display pictures or kids' artwork. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm finding this idea SO appealing: a way to decorate a whole wall without lots of nail holes or tape or money on frames, and I think dd will love using the pins. In fact, I think the pins and line would make a good gift for a kid to use as a toy. I know I used to love washing doll clothes and hanging them out. Not quite $0, but maybe $2 at the dollar store, if you have paint on hand.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#265 of 625 Old 11-07-2005, 02:30 AM

FYI, this month's issue of Bon Appetite magazine has several great recipies for baking projects for gifts, including some cranberry and apple flavored jelly-candies (very festive!) and gingerbread chocolate truffles that look amazing! I'll be giving the recipe a whirl this weekend, and let anyone who is interested know how they taste. We were giving most of my work collegues and our aunts and uncles bottles of home-made Mead, but I think we might do some truffles too to accomodate the non-drinkers in the bunch.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#266 of 625 Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I didn't read the whole thread yet so I hope I'm not repeating . You can make great firestarters with dryer lint, old stubs of candles, and a cardboard egg carton. Essentially, you fill the egg carton with dryer lint and pour melted wax on top. If you cut apart the segments carefully and paint them festively, they would look nice and be a good gift for anyone who has a fireplace or like to camp. Maybe you could top it off with a holly leaf or some tiny hemlock cones, before the wax cools.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#267 of 625 Old 11-07-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom
I didn't read the whole thread yet so I hope I'm not repeating . You can make great firestarters with dryer lint, old stubs of candles, and a cardboard egg carton. Essentially, you fill the egg carton with dryer lint and pour melted wax on top. If you cut apart the segments carefully and paint them festively, they would look nice and be a good gift for anyone who has a fireplace or like to camp. Maybe you could top it off with a holly leaf or some tiny hemlock cones, before the wax cools.
Do you light them? Or put them in with the paper and kindling and then light the paper?
#268 of 625 Old 11-07-2005, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You should just be able to light the paper egg carton part and use them instead of paper and kindling. My brother made some and said they worked great, I made a firestarter by dipping a pinecone in wax and tying some raffia around it. I tested it by lighting it alone. I lit the raffia with one match and it burned big and long.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#269 of 625 Old 11-07-2005, 09:41 PM

My great aunt was very crafty and I can remember one gift specifically that is worth repeating:

She made my brother and me each a square pillow (not too stuffed) out of calico fabric (you could easily use scraps, or even the back of an old oxford or other shirt that's in the rag pile). The pillow was about 10-12" square. On one side of the pillow, she sewed 4 pieces of piping to divide the square into 9 smaller squares - a tic-tac-toe board, essentially (ok, I made that "piping" word up bc it sounded good - she used that wavy stuff you use on the edge of something you've sewn, for decoration? It's like a ribbon but not straight. brickabrac comes to mind, but I don't think that's the right word lmao!). The other side of the pillow had a small patch pocket on it. In the pocket were four felt x and four felt o's that could be used on the other side fo the pillow for a great travel game. We used the heck out of the pillows - playing and resting!

My aunt died 20 years ago, and the pillows were older than that, and my mom still has one of them in her car to use when travelling - her passengers can snooze while someone else drives. Good mileage for some scrap fabric!

Tamara
#270 of 625 Old 11-07-2005, 10:55 PM

tamara, I am laughing too! It's rick rac (but not sure how it is spelled)

I love the idea

and there are so many great ideas here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page