Frugal recipes ( vege ) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-25-2002, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure this is the correct forum for this.

Dh ( the family meat eater ) is going away for a whole week in the middle of september. dd#1 ( the terrible teen ) is coming to stay for the week to keep me company. Well that's the plan anyways if she can drag herself away from the boyfriend.

I am planning for us to all be able to eat meals together which just does not usually happen in our house. dd#1 is a vegetarian. Me & Saffron are vegan. Since dd#1 has left home, she spends her life complaining about not having enough money for food. Altho' she has enough money for lots & lots of new clothes...

dd#1 reckons she learns better by seeing & doing. So what I thought I would do is get her involved in planning our weeks menus. Make them vegan with vege additions like cheese optional. & try to do it to a budget so she gets the idea that it can be done & how.

So, my question is, do any frugal mamas out there have any ideas, menu suggestions etc ?
#2 of 3 Old 08-26-2002, 06:53 AM

Frugal, not sexy and available everywhere. Dry beans being the cheapest and available organic for like, 79cents a pound.

Try a veggie chili or fantastic omelette for dinner. Spaghetti is a fav cheap standby as is lentil soup.

Also having fun with miso soup, oriental noodle soups, stir frys. A grilled tomato sandwich or grill cheese.

Vegetable soup, bean soup, ANY kind of soup (soup is great frugal).

Oatmeal or other grain cereal. Granola (OK, its not cheap but a little bit is very filling).
#3 of 3 Old 08-26-2002, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanx tessami

i spoke to her last night & she wants lots of marinated roasted veges "at least twice "- which should be easy & some pasta.

we'll do the stuff with oats as well. porridge, cookies, flap jacks etc. I'm gonna have to look out a granola recipe & see if I can make some as I've never had any confession or what ?

I love vege chillis & so does dd#2 but not so sure about the teen. I think I'm getting the meat eating boyfriend coming around for dinner all week as well he's big on noodles & likes veges so I may try a noodles & peanut butter sauce with stir fried greens recipe I've got which is really cheap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page