Frugal mamas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a cheap stash myself (IPFs) except for 12 pocket diapers I have for outings and nighttime.

I don't know if I am frugal or what, but it is almost impossible for me to spend money to replace stuff that is working well. IPFs are so absorbent and fit DS so well... only when they were not working for overnight and were a pain to bring on outings did I go ahead and got pockets.

Ok, PFs are a pain sometimes when DS is too wiggly. I even thought of buying all AIOs last week when I found myself reaching for the pokets more and more because DS was just too irritable to lie down for a change. But then, he went back to his old cooperative self and diaper changes are what htye used to be.

I also thought of more fitted and AIOs because of DH a while back .Then he learnt how to pin and is very proud for having mastered the art :LOL

I am looking into NB stuff righ now and actually thought of buying Kissaluvs and then resalling them afterwards. But then again, I am VERY GOOD at pinning and only had bf blowouts twice.

Now, when I have to buy dipes for other people I have no problem buying the fancy stuff. I got some great AIOs, fitted and covers for a friend's baby shower and it was so much fun. As to my own stash, I just can't buy fancy diapers when the ones I have are working so well already... And DS is just as happy no matter which diapers he has anyways as long as they are soft comfy

I do the same with other things in life too I guess. Though I getting nice stuff for DH, our kids and other people, but it is VERY hard to go ahead and buy myself new stuff becfore what I have is completely worn out.
#32 of 38 Old 01-04-2005, 01:43 AM

Do you realize that no matter how thrifty you are with CD's you're still saving tons over disposies!!!!???!!!

Back in the day, DH was in school, I was a new mom with NOOOOOO $$, nada, ziltch. None.

Soooooo anyway after learning about the wonderful world of cloth thru a Natural Baby catalog I picked up at the OB's waiting rm before Kita was born(some 8 -9 odd yrs ago...)I musta read and re-read those 3 pages on cloth dipes. They looked sooooo cool, and so much better for baby. I added up the disposies we were throwing away from out little bamibino, and it came to about 20 /day!! yikes, and I used the crappy cheapo brand of disposies and they leaked anyway, and stuck, and were sooo expensive. So I went to target and bought a doz prefolds, of course I bought the wrong kind, and they leaked something aweful. kita was about 3 mo old at that time. Undaunted and brave to the finish I knew I had alternatives. I got the gumption and called and placed an order for 24 rainbow contours(should have just got 36, oh well...)and 3 Nikky covers, oooh la la!! $100! I couldn't believe I had done it I had no idea how we were going to pay for it, but I did it! I found a few indisposable aio's at a thrifty store and some nice neighbor GAVE me 10 kooshies aios!! I was in diaper heaven!!!! Never looked back!! We supplemented with Gerber diaper service quality prefolds $20 or so a doz and Litewrap velcro covers$6 ea. Had about 5 doz dipes and about 6 covers per size, we were so set. But..... That all added up to about $400 buckaroos and that was super super thrifty, only prefolds and couple nice covers and mostly crappy covers(they didi work fine though)

Now You realize I could have dropped about $300 for a complete stash of one-size fitteds and really been livin it up!
#33 of 38 Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 AM

I started off being frugal but not by choice (DH was unemployed). I used CPFs and Bummis (I tried Prorap colors and they left bad marks). Once DH got a job, I went crazy. I never got into AIOs (they seem like so much work as far as maintenance) but I bought a lot of fitteds and many different types of hemp prefolds.

One day it dawned on me-- why was I searching for some other type of diaper when the perfect diaper (CPFs) was sitting right in front of me? Super easy to clean, a perfect fit every time, and WAY trimmer than any of my fittteds. I don't have newborn experience with them (I will in April, g*d willing), though. Even though I have some cash for new diapers, I decided "if it ain't broke . . ." and will continue with my CPFs. It truly simplified my diapering life to stick with them!!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#34 of 38 Old 01-17-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignqueen
Before I discovered MDC I was content with my 6 prowaprs and my prefolds. I didn't know much about CD, but was happy (iingnorance is bliss, and easier on the pocket book, at least in CD land )
That's where I was before MDC too- happy with contour dipes and Diaperaps. But now I'm starting a stash of fleece and hemp and whatever else catches my eye!
#35 of 38 Old 01-17-2005, 06:38 PM

I love our prefolds! Dh prefers prefitteds. Usually use dappi pants, though like fleece a lot. Only used 1 wool and it but now it doesn't fit. And a handful of LHC fitteds for night...
#36 of 38 Old 01-17-2005, 07:14 PM

I'm definitely frugal. With ds we used proraps and trifolded prefolds. I discovered snappis when he was a little under two. With dd1, I continued using prefolds but switched to bummis whisper pants and especially for baby pullons when I discovered how nice and soft and inexpensive they are. We're still using prefolds with dd2, with a mixture of covers--pullons, a few Nikky covers I got brand new and very cheap at a baby resale store, and a few wool wraps--Biobottoms and Bumpy--that I got for $6 or less on the TP, ebay, and diaperpin. Now I use pins most of the time with the prefolds, with homemade fleece liners. I also have a couple of FB and HH for nights, and would probably buy more HH if we could afford it and use the prefolds to stuff them.

I find prefolds to be quite trim when pinned, and I think they're adorable and classic. Sometimes I think I'd like fitteds, but I'm so fast at pinning and good at getting a snug fit without leaks, that I don't see what the point would be in spending more than $2 on a diaper.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#37 of 38 Old 01-17-2005, 07:24 PM

I didn't really start out frugal - the thought of prefolds scared the living heck out of me - now it's the bulk of my stash :LOL I LOVE LOVE LOVE my prefolds!!

I am amazed when I sit down and calculate just how much we have saved by cding. I've recently started making longies and soakers out of wool sweaters I've picked up at the thrift stores. I don't know if we will have any more babies (which makes me so sad!) but if we do, I have a nice little stash built up and wouldn't have to buy anything else. I've really become frugal - I hate to spend money, it's so hard to come by lately.
#38 of 38 Old 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM

I my prefolds. We have fewer poop-splosions in prefolds than we did with some fitteds. Don't have any flats... yet.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page