Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are?! Where? When? Yay!!!!!
#422 of 509 Old 01-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dready*mama
We're moving this Summer, and already getting into gear. I'd love some frugal ideas for moving cross-country. What we've thought of so far: buy the utility trailer, instead of rent from u-haul (then just sell it when we get there). Get rid of as much stuff as we can before we go (this has already started). Well, I guess that's really all we've thought of! Any other ideas? How much money would you take to move (not counting the cost of your new house, etc.), but money for the road, lodging in the new town, emergency, etc.?
Whoo Hoo for the new Frugal Living Forum!!!
As far as frugal moving.... hmm.... one way that we saved some money was to use our sheets/ towels for packking fragile stuff (like dishes). When you get to your new home, just wash the towels and sheets. You don't have to pay for packing stuffing and you're not stuck w/ boxes and boxes of paper when you unpack I can't think of any more tips right now.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#423 of 509 Old 01-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Dready*mama: are you moving towards or away from family/friends? If you are moving away, what you do is box up some things that you don't want to give away but can be without for a little while. Then give a box to each of your friends and family. Then once you've moved and settled in, invite them all over for a house-warming party and thay can bring you your things! hmmm, just reread that you're going cross-country, so it may not work. Sorry. But it sounds like you've got some good ideas already. I would never have thought of buying the trailer!
#424 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 02:35 AM

Where did the news about the New Frugal Forum break out? It's not in the weekly newsletter, or is it? Is it out already? Where?

Sorry, : so many questions. Very curious.
#425 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

I am so excited about the new forum! Three cheers and a glass of for all!!!

The news about the new forum is in this here and specifically in this post.

Julie, best of luck with the move. I spent a ton when I moved to Ohio. Does TTG talk moving at all?
#426 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 AM

TTG? do you mean TWG? If so, Amy D. does talk a little about it, but for some reason there's alot of focus on hiring movers. yay right!! which is really uncharacteristic of her books, so I was surprised. We got the idea of buying/reselling the trailer from a friend who's done that several times. Also I like the idea of storing stuff at family's house. We're in CO and moving to NC. Next month we go visit my mom in Omaha who's got TONS of storage space not being used. So I called her last night, and am waiting to hear back, if I can load our minivan with stuff to take to her house when we visit to lighten the load of moving. Then we can go visit from NC and get some stuff. I was thinking we could bring things like: seasonal boxes (I don't think I'll die if we don't have our christmas ornaments for one year), clothes that are way too big for the boys (we do it TWG-style and have lots of boxes with clothes going up to size 10/12!), and maybe our big African drums. Hopefully I'll think of more.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#427 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dready*mama
TTG? do you mean TWG? If so, Amy D. does talk a little about it, but for some reason there's alot of focus on hiring movers. yay right!! which is really uncharacteristic of her books, so I was surprised
I'm guessing this is cause her dh was in the Navy and they paid their moving expenses. You may want to check out www.stretcher.com -- go to the index & look up "moving". Good luck, we've moved a lot & I'm afraid never been terribly frugal about it. :
#428 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 02:59 PM

Just got caught up on the other thread about starting the Mindful Home Management!

Ask and you shall receive.
#429 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 03:01 PM

Here's a frugal way to relax after a long day of frugalling!

1 c. rock salt
1 c. epsom salt
1 c. baking soda
2-4 tsp. mineral oil
6-12 drops of essential oil of your choice

Mix very well.
#430 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Dreadymama, you might have already known this but craigslist (if you have one in your area) is a great source for free boxes and packing materials. We listed ours (enough for a 2000 ft house) after we moved and there were lots of other listings at the time for free boxes. Also liquor stores have great sturdy boxes for glasses/books.

Good luck with your move!
#431 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Mama
Here's a frugal way to relax after a long day of frugalling!

1 c. rock salt
1 c. epsom salt
1 c. baking soda
2-4 tsp. mineral oil
6-12 drops of essential oil of your choice

Mix very well.
Rock salt as in the kind that melts ice on sidewalks? Is that safe to be putting directly on skin?
#432 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 05:46 PM

432 posts? Holy Cow!
#433 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 07:08 PM

rock salt that you would buy to use in an ice cream maker.
#434 of 509 Old 01-21-2005, 09:29 PM

Moving: We moved from OR to WI about 18 months ago, and packed our utility trailer completely full, but still had a few boxes that couldn't make it into our cars. We found out that both amtrack and greyhound will ship boxes from point to point for a very reasonable charge, provided that they have space and that the boxes aren't *heavy* -- They don't care about whether they're *large* and they charge by weight. I'm thinking that when we make our triumphant return to the west after college, I'm going to ship lots of light but bulky stuff like extra bedding through greyhound and save the space for denser things like books.

Also, I've noticed a large savings in pre-booking hotel rooms wherever you think you're going to stop, rather than trying to just 'stop when you're tired'... I do a lot better on hotwire.com or whatever than I do just walking in off the street.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#435 of 509 Old 01-22-2005, 05:15 PM

I have 2 questions I want to ask, but I'm waiting until we get a forum, so they don't get lost in the enormity of this thread. :LOL
#436 of 509 Old 01-22-2005, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
I have 2 questions I want to ask, but I'm waiting until we get a forum, so they don't get lost in the enormity of this thread. :LOL
Hee! Me too. I love this thread though. So much coolness in one place.
#437 of 509 Old 01-22-2005, 09:08 PM

That's so RAD we'll get a forum. I think those types of forums do really well on other AP boards, it'll rock out here!
Thanks for the idea of shipping via greyhound, what is an average price for something like that?
We like to pre-book hotels, too. Unless there's a hostel of course!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#438 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 01:32 AM

yay for the new forum! I mostly lurk, but this way, it'll be alot easier!!
#439 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Hello, I am late to join but very excited about this thread. I have been trying to save money on groceries but not doing so well. Someone mentioned they do a meal plan. Could you send me some ideas? I am a vegetarian and just cannot get my meal planning done. I buy a whole bunch of stuff and then it still feels like we don't have anything to eat! Thanks so much.
#440 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 12:21 PM

speaking of frugal....know any cheap yet progressive areas of the country...by cheap, i mean inexpensive land/ housing etc...

also, any cheap unschooling ideas??

i look forward to reading more...
meg
#441 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 12:37 PM

I want to join!!! I have been a naughty frugal Mama since dd was born. My grocery bill has skyrocketed..and I'm just buying things like crazy. If dh knew how out of control I am, he'd have a coronary. :

Instead of trying to read all the previous posts, I think I'll jump in here. Hope that's ok!

Please send some inspiration my way!!! :
#442 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogabug
Hello, I am late to join but very excited about this thread. I have been trying to save money on groceries but not doing so well. Someone mentioned they do a meal plan. Could you send me some ideas? I am a vegetarian and just cannot get my meal planning done. I buy a whole bunch of stuff and then it still feels like we don't have anything to eat! Thanks so much.
I sit down at the beginning of each week and plan w/ DH what we're going to have for dinner throughout the week. There's some room for variation (I have some "quick" ingredients on hand in case he wants something different that night). Then I plan out my grocery list, what ingredients do I have on hand, what do I need to get, etc. I also ask DH what snacks he wants for the week, he understands that once they're gone or if he doesn't ask for it, then all well . This has really helped our food bill cuz I'm not just buying STUFF. I also know ahead of time what I'm cooking and how much prep time it's going to take When I'm shopping, I make sure I stick to my list Another thing to keep in mind is that you really should only get your food items at the supermarket (if you go to a big chain store, we don't have any HFS around us ) Buying items like tp, cleaning products, personal hygiene products etc, at a supermarket is more expensive then say going to Target or Big Lots.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#443 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania
speaking of frugal....know any cheap yet progressive areas of the country...by cheap, i mean inexpensive land/ housing etc...
I haven't lived in many places, but you might like southern Illinois in the Carbondale area. Yes, it is an overall rural Bible Belt area, but there are several small towns w/ strong hippie and Pagan communities. A $100,000 house is a very nice house, and you can get land for a couple thousand an acre in many places. Carbondale is a neat University town. St. Louis is 2 hours away, Nashville is 3 hours, Chicago is 6.
#444 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania

also, any cheap unschooling ideas??

i look forward to reading more...
meg
: I remember a saying I read when we first started looking for our house that we bought 8 years ago. The place that is inexpensive, affordable, or dosen't cost a lot of money - you don't want to live in it or near it.

I don't want the word cheap in front of education, or housing. There are many companies out there making consumer goods cheap. They outsource their services and jobs to India and China making them cheaper and you know what- they are and you realize it when you buy it. How would you feel if you employer wanted someone cheaper?

progressive needs resources to thrive and resources cost money.

Also, please refrain from using the word "cheap" it sounds so...cheap KWIM?

I am not cheap by any means nor are most of the Mamas here. I try to stretch out my resources as far as possible because to me its a savings to me and everyone else.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#445 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 05:25 PM

As I was updating my meal plan and making it 8 instead of 6 weeks, I thought of some cheap-and-easy meal ideas:

Breakfast for dinner: cereal, waffles, pancakes, eggs, homefries, oatmeal, etc. This is always a hit at our house.

Shepherd's Pie: throw some veggies, some meat (if you desire), and some potatoes in a casserole dish and bake. This is a great way to use up leftovers!

Macaroni and Cheese: this can be homemade (in fact, when my SIL tried to give my daughter some boxed M&C, my daughter said, "WHy is it orange? I don't like it!" because she is used to homemade!), and you can dress it up with veggies or meat (if you desire) in a million different combinations.

Topped Baked Potatoes: top them with whatever you have: yogurt, beans, salsa, steamed veggies, cheese or cheese sauce ...

Fritattas: another easy way to use up leftovers. Just throw anything in a skillet with the eggs and cook until the eggs are firm.

Hummus and pita or Hummus a chips: one of our last un-frugal holdouts (besides my husband's Total cereal) is tortilla chips. We buy the expensive TJ's chips because they taste best and are more healthy than the generics. I have a hummus recipe that is super-easy (doesn't call for tahini) and the kids love to dip their chips in it.

Hope these ideas are helpful!

Namaste!
#446 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 07:01 PM

FWIW~ Cheap is a fine word. It just means not expensive. What you make of it in your head is your business. It's just a word.

In general, it seems the west coast is a hip, but pretty darned expensive place to live. But really it's all relative, right? Like, we thought of moving up to Boulder, and then ruled it out because it's so pricey to live there. Then a few months ago I went to visit and met some other mamas at the park, and was asking them how they afforded to live there. They said when the housing costs more in a certain area, you also get paid more (generally speaking). A really cheap and easy place we used to live was Richmond, Virginia. It's hip, lots of great stuff to do, weather is great, a fair share of alternative mamas. Maybe you could narrow down what part of the country you want to live in, and we could be of more help. As we were moving out here (to Colorado), we were thinking how great it would be to live out WEst. We'd get to travel to so many cool places that wouldn't have been possible from Virginia. But now that we're out here, we've realized that we can't travel anywhere, because we spend all our money going back east to visit relatives. So this summer we're moving to Asheville, NC. It's pretty affordable, and we won't be spending all our savings to visit relatives!

Also, it seems to me that you can live in a cheap house by living on the outskirts or rural communities near a bigger town. Our rent is about half that of living downtown Durango because it takes a 1/2 hour to drive to town.

#447 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 08:16 PM

dharmamama- THanks so much for the meal plan ideas! It really helps out a lot. I can't wait to try it.
#448 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 08:29 PM

Hey all, I'd like to join this thread. Dh and I are finally buckling down to get out of debt and start living frugally/simply/sustainably , so I thought I'd hop in for some ideas! I heard about this thread on the thread about the new forum. I'm so excited about it! Literally feel like dancing!

Quote:
Rock salt as in the kind that melts ice on sidewalks? Is that safe to be putting directly on skin?
Just wanted to say in relation to this that ANY kind of salt, even the good celtic sea salt many MDCers eat, will melt ice. Just because a product has an industrial use does not make it toxic. I use raw vinegar to clean my toilet, but that doesn't mean it's unfit to eat, kwim?

Thanks dharmama for the food ideas! We have leftover baked beans and mashed potatoes in the fridge, so I'll be making a shepherd's pot pie for supper tonight with those

Okay, I'm off to read this loooooong thread from the beginning. Thanks mamas!

Mandy
#449 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 08:29 PM

Dharma mama,

Will you please post that Hummus recipe? I tried to make some the other day (with tahini) and it was awful. :Puke I mean, so bad even dh couldn't eat it and he will eat pretty much anything!!
#450 of 509 Old 01-23-2005, 09:43 PM

nak.
titania, I agree w/ dreadymama, pick apart of the country first and secondly dont be afraid to look out a bit. I live in an area w/ 5 colleges, and student housing is crazy around here, I pay half, literally, what a ffriend of mine pays for basically the same square ft plus I have way more privacy out in the woods...not to mention all the great wildlife i get to see. We have a mamabear that lives around here w/ 3 cubs! priceless!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page