Frugal Mamas in January - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 509 Old 01-28-2005, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
Does anyone save in most areas of their lives so they can spend a bit more in other areas?
I'm insanely frugal to be able to afford my husband. He lives under the impression, make more money = buy more stuff. He's a kayaker, snow-boarder, tele-mark skier, hiker, rock-climber, home-repair guy, indoor gardener, not to mention working as a sub-contractor and buying the BEST tools he can find. That being said, it's taken 5 years, but I've finally converted him to buying things used. Which doesn't make it cheap. But at least we're not living on the street corner surrounded by a whole bunch of expensive brand-new crap he buys. This has and I'm sure will continue to cause major marital stress, but we're makin' it. I finally had to just open up a seperate savings account from our joint account, so he couldn't get in and raid it.

I wonder when we'll get the new forum! Soon I hope

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 509 Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 PM

Dready mama your dh is a tele mark skier--that's awesome. I come from a big skiing and snowboarding family, and even we're too chicken for that!

I didn't always live in Wisconsin

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#483 of 509 Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Jennisee-

If you're a frugal phony then I am noe too. I spent almost seventy dollars on a highchair for ds on Tuesday

I was going to get a cheap, basic highchair because ds loved the one he sat in at my mom's last weekend. So I went to the secondhand store and they had a sort of crummy one that wasn't a great bargain, so I went to Target (and I could have asked around for a used on, I know *tons* of people with kids) yo get a chair and they had a very basic, decent one for 27.00. did I buy it? No, I bought the $68.00 one with three different trays, wheels on casters, and a reclining adjustable seat. Why? Because I am a frugal phony. I am frugal with myself but if I see something I think ds will like (and he LOVES his chair) I always want to buy it for him. I need to get over this before he's old enough to actually want things or I will be in deep trouble.

And by the way, we went to my moms, a six hour drive, last weekend. I went to the consignment shop before the trip and spent almost thirty dollars on toys to keep ds occupied. And before that I was doing so good.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#484 of 509 Old 01-28-2005, 10:00 PM

titania-re:heap unschooling-places that have a school rate (like museums, IMAX, Space and Science Center, ect) will also give that rate to homeschoolers! And it's usually either free or very minimal.

Pandora Noir- Thank you for that info on catfood. I wonder why dogs' aren't as picky nutritionally? We aquired one of those today, too. Dogs, I mean. Sometimes I think we are frugal just so we can afford our pets.. :

Anybody have cute, cheap ideas for a growth chart?
#485 of 509 Old 01-28-2005, 10:15 PM

Okay, so it's the end of the month, but I'd still like to be on the thread. DH and I are generally very thrifty, but make big purchases on occasion.

We buy all of Jett's clothes from consignment or thrift stores...too bad the ones around here suck badly. We buy our own clothes from consigment, TJ Maxx sales or eBay.

We don't have home phones, but use our cells which are required for our jobs. We don't have any tv service, we share internet access with my grandparents who live two doors down, utilizing DH's computer skills to use their wireless access. Oooh, and our internet terminal computer is from 1996, but DH masterminded the situation and we paid $120 in total for it, it's upgrades, etc. and now it's a good, solid machine, if not state of the art.

We bought our Eco-Wrecker 1996 Explorer for $750 and make a point to drive it as little as possible. The benefit of this truck is that we can go camping/off-roading for free entertainment, it does great in the snow and we can move big things with it, which oddly we seem to do pretty often. And, hey, nothing's as stylish as riding around in an SUV with a real, honest-to-God bullet hole in the door! LOL

Our diesel Jetta gets 50 mpg and we're going to convert it for $500 to run on used vegetable oil (free from Chinese restaurants.) The joys of watching others gawk at car exhaust that smell like egg rolls is indescribable, I'm told.

We use small, cheap towels instead of paper towels.

We eat organic, which is a budget-buster, but do whole foods and bulk only, which helps lower the impact. We have gardened in the past, but have been unable to do so for the last two years due to moving a few times. That was a nice help, though, when we did.

We don't buy any cleaning products except laundry detergent, and handwashing/machine dishwashing soap.

We housesit/rent from a family friend, which is quite a symbiotic relationship. Cheap for us and keeps his house from sitting vacant. We keep the temps low and wear sweaters, we are careful with our water usage by sharing showers/bath water. We are good with our electric consumption.

I'm sure we do lots of other stuff, but I'm drawing a blank.

Our pitfalls? Eating out, computer/techy stuff, and sometimes sporting goods.

We are addicted to really high-quality bedding and clothes, but manage to find killer deals to enjoy them while remaining mostly frugal.

I noticed the new forum is approved and can't wait for it to start. That'll be awesome and such a benefit to MDC!!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#486 of 509 Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 PM

Eating out is definitely my weakness. We spend was too much and have nothing to show for it at the end of the month.
#487 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 12:05 AM

I just made my own butter.
I am never buying store bought buttern again- seriously!
It took maybe 30 minutes to make enough butter to last us several weeks (unles I go on a baking binge), and it is *so* much better than store bought butter. Plus, you get the buttermilk as well. What a bargain!
#488 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrisday
It took maybe 30 minutes to make enough butter to last us several weeks (unles I go on a baking binge), and it is *so* much better than store bought butter. Plus, you get the buttermilk as well. What a bargain!
You can't tease us like that!!!!!! Now you're gonna have to post the recipe so I can try it out too!!!!!

I suspect many people who are frugal, are frugal in many ways to afford other things - for us, it's to own a house in a great neighbourhood, and have J. work 40 hours a week and me able to stay at home, yet still able to live a little. For us, we never eat out, and barely ever get new clothes, try to cook most things from scratch and use our freezer tonnes, etc but the kids are in some great arts programs and we're setting aside chunks of money each month so we can do a major renovation to our kitchen and bathroom - I don't mind going a bit into debt to do it, but I want to save up most of it first.

It's great to read this thread to get new ideas and have support....I find for myself that when I hang out with friends who are buying new clothes and funky shoes, etc. and I start to feel a little deprived, I picture how awesome it's going to be to have a "new" (with salvaged components and donated windows from a job site, etc) kitchen and it's all worth it again!!!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#489 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 02:06 AM

I like to picture our future home!! I want to own one SO bad!! I, too, sometimes get spendthrift envy, but wonder how much in debt those folks are, or if they'll be renting the rest of their lives or something? hmm...

I think to make butter, you just whip up cream, right? I know there's been several threads on it over in Nutrition & Good EAting.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#490 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 02:14 AM

I have been so inspired by this thread! I am a frugal newbie but I am excited by the challenge. I had a huge wake up call when I ran my category summary of expenses on Quicken for 2004. OMG! We have been living way beyond our means. Now I'm running an experiment to see how much we can not spend and how not deprived we can feel. Does tht make sense? Anyway, thanks for the great ideas and inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrarose
t I wonder why dogs' aren't as picky nutritionally?
Just in case you really wanted to know the answer dog's aren't as picky because they are omnivorous. Coyotes, for example, would prefer a nice fat squirrel but will eat berries and vegetation. Cats are strict carnivores and will only eat meat (protein). Yes, they will eat vegetation but not to sustain themselves. A bobcat will sit on a rabbit trail for hours waiting for a rabbit to come by and totally ignore the berry laden bush that they are hunched under.
#491 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Butter! Butter! Tell me how to make butter!!

Namaste!
#492 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 02:57 PM

Yes! I want to make butter!!!!!!

I REALLY hope its with a churn (yes, I'm odd but i know there's someone else out there who yearns to churn). there is a farmer supply store down the road and i was exploring it several months ago and upstairs they had some dusty old churns just waiting to be bought.... mmmmmmmmm

Writer, teacher, and mama to Rhiannon Morningstar 6/28/05
#493 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE
Our diesel Jetta gets 50 mpg and we're going to convert it for $500 to run on used vegetable oil (free from Chinese restaurants.) The joys of watching others gawk at car exhaust that smell like egg rolls is indescribable, I'm told.

I noticed the new forum is approved and can't wait for it to start. That'll be awesome and such a benefit to MDC!!
we wouyld do this if we had a diesel vehicle. that would be awesome.

cant wait for the new forum!! this is exciting!

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#494 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 05:14 PM

DH and I scrimp and save and never buy anything new that we can get used, or used that we can borrow or freecycle all for one great and over-arching goal: Travel. We're both the sort of people who get itchy when we can't go places often enough. We sate the urge with long roadtrips to visit friends and family but try to get out of the country at least once a year on as much of a cheap vacation as we can possibly manage.

We save frequent flyer miles, ALWAYS complain to the airlines when something isn't right (We did this on our honeymoon, and got two vouchers for 250 euros of plane fare), scrabble for cheap airfare and other transportation deals, eat a lot of supermarket food and takeaway and take public transportation when we travel, but so far we've managed to go to over a dozen countries in our short married lives and one of the things we're most looking forward to is sharing the world with our children.

I always remember being little and being told by my mother and grandmother than money should be used for experiences and not for things, because things fade away but experiences last for a lifetime. And so far it's been totally worth the hard work and doing without to see the things I've been able to see.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#495 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:

yes, definately please share how.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#496 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 05:33 PM

tiny vent:

I am on the freecyclers for my area. Never fast enough to get any todder carseats or strollers (mine just broke use for daycare).

But that really isn't my vent.

For my early childhood class we are to add an element to one of the 7 areas a child plays in. Well I want to add one of those Igloo large plastic dog houses. They aren't cheap and we aren't suppose to buy but make or recycle. So I ask on the Freecyclers. I get one person that wants to "sell" their dog igloo. Find I will bite how much? $80 bucks! I think not. I didn't even reply. Just kind of grumpy that they are using a FREE place to make money.
#497 of 509 Old 01-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather
I always remember being little and being told by my mother and grandmother than money should be used for experiences and not for things, because things fade away but experiences last for a lifetime.
That is what I am trying to do and trying to convince hubby to do as well. I think that is a good motto to live by.
#498 of 509 Old 01-30-2005, 12:30 PM

About the Freecycler who's trying to sell stuff: Report it to your moderator. It's not just unfriendly, it's also against Freecycle rules. I'm a Freecycle mod, and ban members for stuff like that. Most will just give them a warning. But if he's had warnings before, he could be banned.

Also, about greasels, we have several friends IRL who have converted their cars to greasels. They just get the grease from Burger King, McD's, etc. They have to strain all the fries and junk out through a pantyhose. One of their cats actually ate one of the pantyhose once and pooped the entire thing out! gross, but still hilarious! :LOL I think the downside of those is you couldn't go on really long road trips without alot of extra hassle of finding/straining more grease.

I wonder when we'll get our new forum!??!!

#499 of 509 Old 01-30-2005, 01:41 PM

re: butter

Sorry I don't have a churn, just a kitchen aid mixer. I just had my whipping cream and turn on the mixer to mid-high setting and let it go to town. I go back to it in 8-10 minutes and check on it. Usually by then the butter has seperated and there is buttermilk by product.

If you have little ones you can give them a a mason jar filled half way with butter milk and have them shake it (if you had a marble it goes a tad faster) and you get butter that way too.
#500 of 509 Old 01-30-2005, 03:27 PM

Check out our new Mindful Home Management Forum.
#501 of 509 Old 01-30-2005, 03:39 PM

Such great thoughts on the "bigger picture" of frugal living! My dad and grandparents own ~100 acres in the country that have been in our family for around 175 years. In the 1960's, the government invoked their power of imminent domain (long story) and took part of the land and tore down our ancestral house. No one has lived on the land since, and DH and I want to buy maybe 10 acres from them and build a house out there. We're very torn b/c we probably wouldn't be able to afford to build the house we really want for probably another 5 or 10 years, but we've been examining our life for ways to make that possible sooner, which is why we're continually looking for ways to save money. And, then there are the things so many others have mentioned. It's important to us that I be a SAHM. And I love to travel--it's one of my life's goals to travel the world w/ my children.

So, anyone have any tips for building a house frugally? We're considering having a "shell house" built instead of a "turn-key house," and doing as much of the work ourselves as we can. Also getting materials from places like ReStore and the scratch-and-dent outlet store of the furniture factory. The land we'd build on would need to have some trees cleared, and we'd sell those trees to the lumberers to help cover our closing costs, etc. (I've been told a good tree can bring $10,000+.) Any other ideas? Anyone w/ experience here? I'd be eternally grateful!
#502 of 509 Old 01-30-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
Such great thoughts on the "bigger picture" of frugal living! My dad and grandparents own ~100 acres in the country that have been in our family for around 175 years. In the 1960's, the government invoked their power of imminent domain (long story) and took part of the land and tore down our ancestral house. No one has lived on the land since, and DH and I want to buy maybe 10 acres from them and build a house out there. We're very torn b/c we probably wouldn't be able to afford to build the house we really want for probably another 5 or 10 years, but we've been examining our life for ways to make that possible sooner, which is why we're continually looking for ways to save money. And, then there are the things so many others have mentioned. It's important to us that I be a SAHM. And I love to travel--it's one of my life's goals to travel the world w/ my children.

So, anyone have any tips for building a house frugally? We're considering having a "shell house" built instead of a "turn-key house," and doing as much of the work ourselves as we can. Also getting materials from places like ReStore and the scratch-and-dent outlet store of the furniture factory. The land we'd build on would need to have some trees cleared, and we'd sell those trees to the lumberers to help cover our closing costs, etc. (I've been told a good tree can bring $10,000+.) Any other ideas? Anyone w/ experience here? I'd be eternally grateful!
A few ideas I have off the top of my head would be, looking into straw bale and/or cobb style housing. Put the word out there, you'd be surprised what people have just laying around their house and ready to give away, like lumber, doors, windows, sinks, etc. Start visiting demolition sales and such. Design your house so that you can build one or two main rooms, live in there for a while, and then slowly add on to it until you get the house of your dreams! Or, buy the land, live out of a trailer or yurt for a couple of years and save all your rent pennies towards the house. Set up a house fund, and ask everyone to contribute to it in lieu of holiday and birthday gifts. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, but good luck with it! We're constantly brainstorming about how to renovate our kitchen and bathroom for as cheaply as possible, yet having it be really good quality and how we want it to look! Fun fun fun!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#503 of 509 Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 PM

na na na na na na na

Get jiggy with THIS!!!

We've got our own FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get on over and check it out mamas!

#504 of 509 Old 01-31-2005, 08:34 PM

Where is our new forum sis...??
#505 of 509 Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 PM

go to the Natural Family Living Board, the new forum is called "mindful home managment". Not my favorite title, but click on it, and there's sub forums for Frugal Living, organization, meal planning, off-grid living, etc....!!

#506 of 509 Old 01-31-2005, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=312

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#507 of 509 Old 02-07-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I make my own butter, too.
#508 of 509 Old 02-07-2005, 09:17 PM

SO there is a new FORUM? I gotta go find it. I was wondering why there were only two pages since I last was here.

I am so excited.....
#509 of 509 Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 AM

W

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page