Frugal Mamas in January - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Where do you find the vacumn sealed bag at?
I buy it at BJ's Wholesale, a warehouse store. http://www.bjs.com/ I don't have a membership any more as I can't get there much, but every now and again they have a day pass.
#62 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Holly, about the CSA's...is there another name for that type of group? The one I could find in my area requires "farm hours" and "distribution hours", I could hand out the stuff easy enough but the actual farm is over an hour away and didn't sound very kid-friendly. Very rigid rules, also they work in the rain, eeewww lol
#63 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadege5
Holly, about the CSA's...is there another name for that type of group? The one I could find in my area requires "farm hours" and "distribution hours", I could hand out the stuff easy enough but the actual farm is over an hour away and didn't sound very kid-friendly. Very rigid rules, also they work in the rain, eeewww lol
Hmm...there could be. Kinda like a work CSA rather than a paid one? You can go to www.localharvest.org and search for a CSA in your area. My next challenge is finding local, organic meat once we use up what we have in the deep freeze. DH won't go veg, although he's ok w/ a couple veg nights each week, and will take eggs another night or two. Luckily I have a close friend who we get eggs from...free-range, local for $1.50/doz

On a different note, I'm going to start a pantry challenge thread so we can share tips and menu ideas with each other without taking over this thread. :LOL
#64 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose
Hmm...On a different note, I'm going to start a pantry challenge thread so we can share tips and menu ideas with each other without taking over this thread. :LOL
can you post a link when you do?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#65 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
can you post a link when you do?
Yes, please post a link! I am interested!
#66 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 03:25 PM

Wow this is a big post.

WAY much less eating out, and so far so good too. I told my husband that he is limited to X amount for money and that is it so because when spending for toys/food/fun.

I am still working out a menu for a month at a time. Using leftover dinners for our lunches.

Need to get on a food program for my home daycare since they waste SO much food. I am close to telling the parents you back a lunch that I can throw away, just kidding.

No big things to buy except a house, maybe.

Pay off CC debt.
#67 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 03:26 PM

There are no CSA's in my area!
#68 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrisday
There are no CSA's in my area!
Well, that bites!

The link to the pantry challenge is:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=233821
#69 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 06:49 PM

Unfortunetly I need to join all you ladies!!! I'm leaving my job at the end of the month as we await baby #4 - it will be a MAJOR adjustment for us because I currently make the bigger paycheck. I'm super excited about it but nervous about how we will manage money wise as well. We are in the process of trying to sell our house and downsize but until that happens things will be VERY tight budget wise. I get paid monthly and got my last paycheck on the 1st which we put away as an emergency fund to cover the mortgage if need be. I already feel soooo poor! LOL.

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#70 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Just subscribing! I've got some changes financially in my life to make. I've only read a few replies, but I promise I'll catch up soon.
Gotta make dinner.
Later.
#71 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 07:52 PM

I just found this thread, talk about timely. I am expecting #2 in July and just unexpectedly lost my job 2 weeks before Christmas. I still have some income since I am a freelance writer but things are going to be mega tight around my house. Our biggest downfall is eating out, in part dh works from home and I was working from home 2 x a week so for us going out for lunch/dinner is like a socialization thing. We moved to Maine a few years ago and still haven't really made any real friends so going out to eat gets us out. Anyway we spend way too much and with us down to one income its tight. Its funny because our income is too high to be considered poor yet that's just how we feel.

I am definitely interested in the pantry challenge, yesterday I went to the store because I had seen a cool beef barley recipe and spent like $25, same thing today when i got a craving for pork chops. I do that a lot even when I eat at home and while its cheaper than eating out, I am not saving. Thing is I have tons of food stored in my house.

I will be definitely coming back here.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#72 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 08:32 PM

Wow, you ladies are amazing. DH and I have been freaking out lately. We are in such a hole, it's going to take us years to crawl our way out. I'm loving all of the ideas you ladies have. I've been inspired. Thank you all!

Jenn

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#73 of 509 Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 PM

Your tips are all great! We definately need to work on the grocery thing & eating out - It would really help if I could cook!! :LOL

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#74 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 11:55 AM

nak

heads up that the pantry challenge thread got moved to the nutrition & health forum.

won't be around much today. dd & i are taking a day "off" and staying in bed. she hasn't been sleeping so great (starting to teeth maybe???) and i feel like he**. gonna sit in bed all day, nurse, watch movies, and read.

hey, it's frugal though!
#75 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM

Holly, hope you and babe have relaxing day!

Id like to join the tread! We are ona fixed budget and all these ideas and recipes are inspiring! We have a garden and I'm going to read "Square Foot Gardening" to get more out of it! We bought a house last spring and I have a freezer, a coldroom and a yard I'm going to fill with garden and fruit trees! I can, freeze and dehydrate all year. About 2x a year, I organize a ffo coop and we get wholesale on bulk organic grains and beans, ect. The $ min is high and it is a lot of work so I don't do it more often! I don't really thrift because we don't really buy anything but food but I might start going to garage sales next summer when the kids's d has them every second weekend! We use hand me downs and just make do with what we have. I usually feel pretty good about it because we are treading so much lighter on mama Earth now.

I try to do most everything from scratch and am looking for the following scratch recipes- cat food, rice milk, rye crispbread crackers. If anybody has them, I would really appreciate them!

I really enjoyed reading everybodies posts and look forward to everybodies ideas! The birthday ideas are great,I might use the eclectic tea party set idea for my spiritdaughter for next fall!
#76 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 01:57 PM

So far, so good...but it's only been a day, lol. I made enough last night to last for lunch and dinner today. Does hummus freeze well? I know the rest of it will. I'm thinking about making chicken/black bean soup after we wade through the leftovers. Any one have a good recipe?

Terrarose- I found this site. It seems to have some good recipes. DH used to make horchata a lot and I never realized it was just rice milk.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#77 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 03:49 PM

"Those little packets are way too expensive. I agree. I think they are 2 teaspoons and 1/4 teasp but I could be wrong."

Just lurking on this thread and wanted to confirm - I always buy the jarred yeast and it is 2 1/4 tsp to substitute for a packet.

Thanks for all the great ideas, ladies! Too bad I'm trying to watch my white flour because I am really in the mood for pizza now

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#78 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Why not make whole wheat pizza? I find that the crust is a little more dense, but not impossibly so.
#79 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrarose
Holly, hope you and babe have relaxing day!

I try to do most everything from scratch and am looking for the following scratch recipes- cat food, rice milk, rye crispbread crackers. If anybody has them, I would really appreciate them!
First, thanks! We are having a nice day. Just came down to have a bite to eat & check the boards for a sec.

Second, try www.pet-grub.com for a cat food recipe. Honestly, we tried this recipe & my cats (we have 9!) don't care for it. But I know other people who use it without any problems. Then again, finding one food that all 9 of my cats agree on & doesn't make at least one of them sick to their stomach is a challenge. Purina One is the only one we've found so far.

Good luck!

Holly
#80 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throkmorton
Why not make whole wheat pizza? I find that the crust is a little more dense, but not impossibly so.

Actually my pizza recipe I posted can be subd two cups wheat instead- but add a bit of white flour. Since your only watching it!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#81 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 07:08 PM

I use a baker's choice whole wheat flour. It works great and doesn't make the dough more dense. Check your local natural food store. I was able to buy a 25 lb. bag for $15. I'm making a pizza right now actually.
#82 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 PM

ok, so we are going grocery shopping tomorrow for the next 2-3 weeks of food. During this time I am going to use A LOT of my icky pantry stock and all of the odd cuts of meat in our freezer! Yeah! I am going to try to do all the shopping on less than 100.00 dollars, I will report back tomorrow and let you know how I do. The sooner I get this stuff cooked and out of here, the sooner I can go back to all scratch cooking! Yeah!
#83 of 509 Old 01-07-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrsmom
OMG, this is my favorite MDC thread in a long time!

Also, I used our ham bone from Xmas to make stock but it is just sitting here. What should I do now?
13 Bean Soup!!! Yum! One of the things I miss about being biblically kosher!

You know you can make your own "convenience" foods, freezer or pantry....Let me know if you want more info on that.
#84 of 509 Old 01-08-2005, 02:50 AM

Can someone remind me what the disgusting price difference between cloth and disposables is?
#85 of 509 Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 AM

here's a good article kindacrunchy with breakdown in prices for sposies vs. cloth diapers.
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5...iaper-cost.htm

crazy, huh?

btw I have been making cloth wipes like crazy this week out of leftover flannel! so far I have about 5 dozen (and am making another 5 dozen to put away for when the new baby arrives as well) I made them double sided then turned and topstitched with different colored thread. DH says they are too thick but I how they turned out.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#86 of 509 Old 01-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindacrunchy
Can someone remind me what the disgusting price difference between cloth and disposables is?
Just had to add my 2 cents 'bout the whole price difference thing. Yeah, cloth is *definitly* A LOT cheaper. Even I've still spent less on my cloth than I would have on sposies & I use all-in-ones, fitteds, wool, etc in addition to the standard pre-folds. Plus, I'm at the point now where I can start reselling & take the money I make from that to size up.

Where I'm going with this that I'd *still* cloth diaper even if it cost the same as sposies. Probably even if it cost a bit more. Kind of like why I use wheat litter, natural/organic toiletries, and try to buy organic food. Some things I'm just willing to pay more for. Then again, I can usually afford to pay more for those few things because I do other things like make my own cleaners & cook from scratch.

Not only is cloth better for the environment because you're saving all the landfill space and not using up the petro chemicals to make the plastic dipes, but you're not exposing your kiddos to all the chemicals that are in sposies. Plus, cloth is SO much cuter.

This is just my opinion obviously. I realize that for a variety of reasons using cloth doesn't work or appeal to everyone and that's fine, so no flames please! Just saying that everyone always focuses on the cost savings with cloth (and obviously this is a frugal thread so cost is on all our minds!), but I feel there are several other very valid reasons to use them and for me the cost savings are a super, extra nice bonus along the way.
#87 of 509 Old 01-08-2005, 11:35 AM

Yesterday was Rachels' birthday and everything went great! I made dinner for everyone without having to get anything at the store.

We used cloth for a long time but both of my dds are having skin issues with cloth so we have been in sposies for a couple months now and will stay in them. The only thing I can imagine is that it is something in our water. I have tried everything else that I can think of. We use Huggies Supreme whick admittedly are the most expensive but they fit the best and work the best for us.

Off to toss dinner in the crockpot. Saucy beef and noodles.
#88 of 509 Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Cool breakdown on cloth versus sposies.

Happy birthday to Rachel! Stephanie, I am so glad everything went great. Mmmm saucy beef and noodles.

The last few days have been frugal shopping days. Yesterday I went to Target's 90% off to shop for Christmas stuff for 2005. I got holiday toe socks, 2 chip/dip platters, 2 china dessert sets, 3 rolls of wrap, 4 small stuffed animals, 2 bath/shower gel kits and a few other odds and ends for $20. We have DH's family and the women in my family take care of completely, or 12 people for $60 in all.

Also, I finally received my last paycheck from the job I quit last year... 5 weeks late, but it was a nice surprise.
#89 of 509 Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Gald the party went well!

Do you have the recipe for your saucy beef w noodles?

#90 of 509 Old 01-08-2005, 04:01 PM

Good morning, Frugal Mommies! I find myself really looking forward to reading this thread! I've gotten good ideas and recipes but mostly it just keeps frugality in my mind! I know there are more ways I can save $, like I have to get a drying rack so I hang clothes instea of use to dryer. Or just hang a rope down in the laundry room for right now. Also, we have to cut our water bill down. My ds(3) is the "bath king" and I don't have rain water barrels in the summer.

I got my vitamin order from www.vitaminshop.com yesterday. Brand name vitamins at a significant savings and shipping is free on orders over $50.

quest4quiet- I checked out the link- that's what I was looking for, thanks!

Holly- I'll look at the recipe for the cat food tonight. I can't see our cat being too picky because she eats out of the compost bucket often enough : Thank you!

MommytoMJM- I would love convenience recipes for things like bean soup in a jar where you just have to add the tomatoes and water- is that what you mean?

I use cloth diapers, too. Ds(3) only uses them at night now but I have to layer 5 or 6 (with a cover) so our bed stays dry, they are very worn out. I got my money out of them! I bought some, made some and thrifted some with ds#1 but nothing further since then!

Wondering if everybody would mind sharing the gifts they have gotten from being frugal? I see it as being a very positive way of life but I do ccasnaly get into a negative mental rut.

Hope everybody has a great day! We're going to a party later and I'm going to try to make a bunch of food without having to buy any ingrediants. I as tempted just to go to the store but I'll try to resist.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page