Frugal Mamas in January - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2005, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more question:

I'm having my first baby in May, where is the best place to get cloth diapers?

Thanks!

Jenn

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 03:58 PM

Amy, can you please give me your bread recipe?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Anything that requires heating uses a ton of electricity.
Also including electric ovens. Gas ovens obviously use a different energy source. I would bet that heating up the oven uses as much energy, if not more, than running a bread machine. If you are heating the oven of course, it is frugal to bake as many things as possible at one time.

That said, I do make my bread by hand and it works just fine.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Jenn, the diaper question is a loaded one on these boards! :LOL What kind do you want to use? Prefolds, fitteds, AIOs? Any would be money saving compared to sposies but prefolds will be the absolute cheapest. LMK what you are looking for and I will offer more tips.

Oh another laundry tip! Take out your lint filter and scrub it or just spray some really hot H2O water through it. It gets so much buildup that it becomes very inefficient taking clothes longer to dry. Start by dropping a few drops on it and see where they go. You will see that the holes are no longer open. I do it about once a month and it does shorten drying time.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice
One more question:

Motherease! Their one-size diapers truly do fit all sizes, and the Airflow covers are the best I have ever tried. When my daughter was little we had ME one-size snapping diapers lent to us by a friend. I think my dd leaked two times in her entire diapering career. The diapers were SUPER easy to use.

For my son, we were worried because he is such a heavy wetter. We had him in disposies when he first came because he had worms. But as soon as the worms cleared up, we put him in cloth. We bought Motherease Sandy diapers (the heavy-wetter diapers) and they are GREAT! He was in one for 5 hours one day and it was not even saturated. And they contain his poop WAY better than the disposies.

Motherease has great shipping, too. I paid $3 shipping for the Sandy's diapers.

Namaste!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:06 PM

We used to make our own bread in the machine but we stopped because our daughter didn't like it. Every whole-grain recipe we tried was so dense! Also, I could never figure out how to slice it well. I always got weirdly sized pieces.

We now buy Wonder Whole Wheat for $0.92 a loaf at the bread outlet. I know I could do better. Let's talk about making bread at home! Tell me about doing it in the oven and about how to slice it!!

Namaste!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:11 PM

:
Old 01-11-2005, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
we used to have a bread machine, but sold it cause we needed the $$$, and i have to admit, i love love love making bread by hand!!! my son loves doing the kneading and rolling too. our favourite is Sunflower and Millet bread from the Enchanted Broccoli cookbook by molly katzen.. i can post the recipe if you want it, but it's pretty long to type out and i'm nak'ing right now i also have a really good Whole Wheat and Nut bread, that is just a quick/non-yeasted bread that is SO yummy and good for growing kiddo's ohh!! and Pumpkin Raisin bread, also a quick one can you tell that we like bread in our house LOL

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 01-11-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama
We used to make our own bread in the machine but we stopped because our daughter didn't like it. Every whole-grain recipe we tried was so dense! Also, I could never figure out how to slice it well. I always got weirdly sized pieces.

We now buy Wonder Whole Wheat for $0.92 a loaf at the bread outlet. I know I could do better. Let's talk about making bread at home! Tell me about doing it in the oven and about how to slice it!!

Namaste!
nak

i make bread both ways. imho it's almost impossible to make homemade bread that has the exact consistency & shape of a store bought loaf. if anyone has tips on how to improve that lmk we live 40 miles from the king arthur outlet & i'm dieing to take a bread baking class there!

one of our fav bread recipes is "family yeast bread". i really like this cause it makes like 4 loaves. they freeze well too. this comes from hillbillyhousewife.com :LOL i know it sounds funny, but all the recipes i've tried are good. she also gives lots of direction & descriptions. i've just cut & pasted from her site. oh, and i should add that this is a white bread recipe. i use unbleached organic all purpose flour. the only whole grain bread like is store bought 12 grain. :

another fav is the cuban bread recipe given in the tightwad gazette books. we like it topped wth garlic.

FAMILY YEAST BREAD :

* 4 cups warm tap water (not hot)
* 2/3 cup non-fat dry milk powder (instant powdered milk)
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 2 packets or 4 teaspoons dry yeast
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 1/3 cup melted margarine or oil
* 12 cups flour (approximately)

The first thing you need is a big bowl or clean dish pan to mix this up in. I use a huge metal bowl that is made of stainless steel. But I used to use the same plastic dish tub I washed the dishes in. I would wash it with a little bit of bleach, rinse it really well, and then dry it completely. In some ways it worked better because it fit on my lap more conveniently due to the rectangular shape. But the shiny stainless steel one does look more like I know what I'm doing. So much for appearances.

So anyway mix the water, dry milk powder and sugar in the dishpan or bowl. Add the yeast, sort of sprinkled on top. Allow the mixture to sit until the yeast dissolves some, this will only take a couple of minutes. Add the salt, margarine or oil, and flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until it gets too stiff and then dig in with your hands. When the dough is in a nice cohesive ball, turn it out onto a floured kitchen table or counter. Or if you are using a dish pan, you can just leave it in there.

Now start kneading the dough with all of the love you have for your family. Press the dough and send big love vibes into it. Stretch the dough and impress all of your compassion and generosity into it. Remember why you love your kids, and your spouse and your mom or you dad, and just put it all into the dough. Knead it like this for a full ten minutes. Add more flour if you need to as you go along.

Coat the dough with oil, about 2 tablespoons of it, and put it into the bowl or dishpan. Cover it with a towel or plastic wrap and let it set in a warm place to rise for about an hour or so. It should double in bulk. It may take up to two hours on cool days, or in the air conditioning, so be patient.

Punch down the dough by literally pressing your fist into the center of it. Divide the dough into 4 equal lumps. Coax them into loaf shapes and place them into large (9 by 5-inch) well oiled loaf pans. If you don't have enough loaf pans, use casserole pans or cake pans, or whatever. Cover the dough with a cloth or more plastic wrap and let it rise again. It should take less time for the second rising. When the dough is risen up enough, bake the loaves at 375° for 40 minutes.

You can tell the dough is done if you turn it out of the pan and thump the bottom with your finger. It should make a dull hollow sound. If it doesn't sound hollow, put it back into the pan and cook it some more. Makes four loaves.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4
we used to have a bread machine, but sold it cause we needed the $$$, and i have to admit, i love love love making bread by hand!!! my son loves doing the kneading and rolling too. our favourite is Sunflower and Millet bread from the Enchanted Broccoli cookbook by molly katzen.. i can post the recipe if you want it, but it's pretty long to type out and i'm nak'ing right now i also have a really good Whole Wheat and Nut bread, that is just a quick/non-yeasted bread that is SO yummy and good for growing kiddo's ohh!! and Pumpkin Raisin bread, also a quick one can you tell that we like bread in our house LOL
nak

please post these if you have a chance. i'm desperatly trying to learn to like non-white bread.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:35 PM

I hated our bread machine. mine always comes out better by hand for some reason.

anyone have any frugal decorating ideas btw?

heket- I have never seen a recipe for baby conditioner but you could probably use jojoba oil or something like that. you might find a recipe to adapt here possibly
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyhair/hair.html

btw there are a bunch of other baby recipes here
http://www.freebies4ya.com/beautyrec...utyrecipes.asp

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:38 PM

My favorite is an oatmeal molasses bread very similar to this http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/vt/l/vtl68011.htm

I substitute 2 c whole wheat for the white flour. Also, you don't need to soak the oats for an hour--until they are lukewarm will do just fine. I simplify this by adding the yeast right to the soaked oatmeal when it has cooled to be warm to the touch, but not hot. I use 2 1/2 c boiling water, since I don't dissolve the yeast separately.

Quote:
please post these if you have a chance. i'm desperatly trying to learn to like non-white bread
If you try the above shortly after it comes out of the oven, you will never feel the same about white, I promise.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:39 PM

Stephanie-

The bannana bread recipe

Banana Bread by Martha Stewart

1 stick of unsalted butter room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
½ cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan or four small pans
With mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs beating well.
Sift the dry ingredients together and combine with the butter mixture. Blend well. Add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla. Stir well. Pour into pan.
Bake one hour after cake tester comes out clean. Turn onto rack to cool

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-11-2005, 04:45 PM

Wow 10 pages!

This bannana bread recipe I also posted on the pantry challenge and a few mamas over there made it and loved it as well.

Stephanie- all these great laundry tips, keep em coming before my next big day next week for laundry!

For making own bread- the recipe posted is great! Also kneading is great exsercise for the body and therapy for the brain. Also kids can help. Give them a chunk and let them roll it, smash it whatever. Bake there's next to yours and they made their own. We use our stone to bake it in the oven. Also put a small glass bowl or small loaf pan in there containing a 1/2 cup of water or so to create steam. Its great for the crust. I usually just use my pizza crust recipe to make bread and we make them into baggettes. You can also put it into a standard loaf pan greased with olive oil and it comes out well too. Too find out if your bread is done, thump the bottom. You should hear a good knock and you have a done bread.

We gave our bread machine away, we just didn't use it since we did it by hand.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-11-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon
I
anyone have any frugal decorating ideas btw?
this is a loaded question, what do you want to do? I have a ton of ideas.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM

right now I need ideas for my bedroom, ds playroom and living room.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:15 PM

I just got back from the children's thrift store, and they're starting to put their winter clothes on clearance, and I know lots of other places are starting to do the same. Now would be a great time to stock up on next year's winter clothes. I bought all the girls' 24 month clearance clothes they had for about $10. (AND a Baby Bjorn for $6.50!)

Something that we did this past fall was put off purchasing things we needed and asked for them for Christmas. (I have very generous in-laws.) So, DD got a new convertible carseat b/c she was growing out of her infant seat, and DH got gift cards for some MUCH needed work clothes--instead of the battery-operated plastic we'd have gotten otherwise. We're going to do the same thing for DD's birthday since she really needs 18 mo and 24 mo clothes.

Also, if anyone or your spouse works for an employer who offers an FSA, I'd recommend looking into it. We put aside $3,000 for medical bills for DD's birth and routine baby care. Since that's tax free, we probably saved $750.

And speaking of taxes!!! If you can't afford to have someone prepare taxes, but you don't like doing them yourself, see if there's a VITA program near you. (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Volunteer tax preparers will help you prepare your taxes for free. The volunteers range from college accounting majors to CPA's, but they all have to pass the training course. There's usually an income limit. DH ran a chapter in college and is trying to get one set up here. Here is some inforrmation. I can't find a site that gives locations, but they're usually held at places like libraries, schools, senior centers.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
this is a loaded question,
That phrase is getting a lot of use here today. :LOL

Thanks for the bread tips. I think I will try to make some soon. Right now my babe is really sick and I only have a couple of hours while she is napping to do anything with 2 hands. The rest of the day will be spent rocking and cuddling. That is why I have been able to be here so much.

We just completely finished/furnished our basement/playroom for not too much $$. I bought oops paint from Home Depot for $5 a gallon. They had some neutrals but I went for the "ugly" colors. The bright greens, oranges, etc. I did each wall a different color. Try freecycle for a children's table. We bought flash cards with both upper and lower case letters and taped them on the wall above their arts and crafts table. Much cheaper than buying the things at the Teacher Store. We bought carpet 12'x20' for under $200 at Home Depot. It is the stuff they have on the roll rather than the samples they have. We also bought a 5'x7' are rug for the extra corner, it was $14 at Meijer. Our big splurge was huge beanbag type chairs. They are like this and this. They were not cheap per se (I think it was $350 for both including shipping and liners) but cheaper than couches and chairs and the kids can jump on them as much as they want and I can wash the covers easily.

We had money given to us for our kids for Xmas so this is what we put it towards. Had we not had that, we probably would have done quite a bit less. Total cost for the whole thing was probably about $700. It was so worth every penny. The kids love the room and I have a bit of my sanity back. s
Old 01-11-2005, 05:40 PM

I may be a bad frugal person tonight, well kind of. Since the babe is sick, I have not made dinner yet. The kids have some McDonalds GCs they got for Xmas so I might have dh grab something for them there on his way home. I guess it's still frugal since we have the GC but so not natural, healthy, good, etc... :LOL

I just needed to confess.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrsmom
I may be a bad frugal person tonight, well kind of. Since the babe is sick, I have not made dinner yet. The kids have some McDonalds GCs they got for Xmas so I might have dh grab something for them there on his way home. I guess it's still frugal since we have the GC but so not natural, healthy, good, etc... :LOL

I just needed to confess.
First, thanks for the tip about the ergo. I'm going to have dh spot me while I learn to put her in the sutemi on my back.

Don't feel bad about having the kids get dinner @ McD's. The beautiful thing about being frugal is that when something comes up -- like a sick kid -- we're able to make a conscious choice to do something like that. That's way different than the usual scatter-brained, last minute way I'd normally decide to go out.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 PM

This thread is terrific. Don't really have any new ideas to contribute, but lurking.

Thanks for whomever posted the reference to simpleliving.net. That place is awesome!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:06 PM

As long as were fessing, I had McDon's for lunch. DD also has been sick and wanted fries. Coming off my cleanse I needed junk food so I was game as well. Also, being frugal, you can afford that once in a while.

We also put a carpet from the home depot rolls in our playroom/tv room. It was $30 and it sits on the tile we put in there from 2001 when our president gave us a $600 tax rebate in july that year. I bought a chalkboard from hobby lobby for $9, and dh made her playkitchen for xmas. Its solid wood and was left over from another project. Her toys are in our old kitchen cabinet turned on its side with no doors. Great shelves. Small toys are in ikea bins ($1 each). The best thing (thank my wonderful mil) is the Elmo pictures. MIL took DD's bday cards which were Elmo cards and cut out the elmos. She glued them on wood boards, FIL used a jig saw and cut them out. Then she put lacquer on top. They surprised us when they babysat and hung them. Very cool!

The cheapest and brightest way to liven up a room is paint. The oops section in all paint depts and stores is an excellent start. Also go check out fabric stores bargain tables. Make draperies and matching pillows or bedskirts from there. I found a checkered fabric there a few years back. 3 yards, $9, its part of the toy kitchen set now.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice
One more question:

Thanks!

Jenn
Over half my dipes come from the TP. The rest are from e-bay. I have maybe 3 I've bought new. We have all sorts cause (as anyone who's gone to the diapering board knows) it's a little addictive. :LOL On the bright side I can resell most of them & since I buy used I have a really varied stash for a fraction of the price.

Really though, we'd have been fine with prefolds, good quality covers, and a few Fuzzi Bunz for nights (I can't bikini twist & snappi a prefold half asleep...)
Old 01-11-2005, 06:19 PM

Hey I pay for a large fry and small drink from McDonalds just so my son can play in their playground that is safe and indoors.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmysue2
Hey I pay for a large fry and small drink from McDonalds just so my son can play in their playground that is safe and indoors.
: that would be me too!

Old 01-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Here's where you can find out if there is a ReStore near you
http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.html
Old 01-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Great thread!

I think there should be a financial forum of some sort.

It could have sub forums like:
Frugal moms
Getting out of debt

Just an idea....add any other sub forums you think would be good.

PS Why don't we have a SAHM forum???

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 01-11-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
Great thread!

I think there should be a financial forum of some sort.

It could have sub forums like:
Frugal moms
Getting out of debt

Just an idea....add any other sub forums you think would be good.

PS Why don't we have a SAHM forum???

I have seen discussions started about getting out of debt. BUT the MDC people do not feel that we need our own SAHM area. Also, when ever you start one, where does it fit in? I have tried and so have many others

Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion....

Old 01-11-2005, 07:59 PM

Why are their WAHM and working moms forums???

(Going to check if there are....)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM

It should go in Parenting.

That is where working moms forum is.

User Tag List