Describe Your Frugal Lifestyle - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cook homemade meals, baby food, treats....as much as I can which is alot now.
We visit the library and rent dvd's, music, videos, books.
Wait to buy things.....save.
Wait for sales and flyers....for grocery that is a lifsaver! I also found a new produce store near me that just opened and now will buy my fruits and veggies there! SO cheap but good solid food.
Double on meals when cooking and freeze, also leftovers are frozen for Dh's lunches.
DD's school gives out monthly book flyers through school (scholastic) and order books now and then from there only as they are usually a dollar or two at most for good books, and the money goes to her class.
Shop at thrift stores for gifts, toys, clothes.....or Wal Mart type stores.
Consignment stores for buying kids clothes AND getting rid of, use credit from sale to buy more from said store.
No credit cards.
Buy used
Recycyle gifts-regift
Used vehicles only, or older ones
Dollar stores!
#32 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 12:44 AM

two whole days i haven't been on and now there is a new forum.
It is amazing what you can miss working full-time and when your computor has been put downstairs...........
i use cloth mama pads.
dry clothes on the line.
recycle.
pack our one snacks
no juice boxes, only water in bottles for dd and ds at school
buy used whenever possible.
#33 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth4Colin
Also, where can I find really inexpensive baby stuff...clothing in particular...we were getting hand-me-downs from a couple, but their kids kinda outpaced DS after reaching 3-6 month stuff...I'm going to need summer things in 12-18 months and they were already in 24 mo. stuff for summer...
Consignment? How do they usually work???
I got (and gave) lots of used baby clothes from Freecycle, and then there was my daycare provider...many of my clothes came from her, and went right back to her when they were outgrown. There was also a local bulletin board (yahoo group) through which I got some good stuff. I just put the word out in as many local places as I could--networking is a good thing. I had much better luck with networking than with consignment/thrift stores, but then, until recently I was in NYC, which may account for that.
#34 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 03:25 PM

nak

this hasn't been mentioned - a pressure cooker takes less energy than a regular pot, and its great for a whole foods, made-from-scratch diet.

networking for stuff works well, as another poster said.

no shampooing would also save if you are into it, and it works, too.

use a touch of zinc cream instead of deodorant - much cheaper and very effective.

great thread!
#35 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you that sugested freecycle...I just looked into it on their master homepage. We don't have a local group, but I joined one for a neighboring area...hopefully i can get some clothes for DS there. We're running out of clothes he can wear, so I am open to anything right now - I am really thankful for you guys and your very helpful suggestions!! You're the greatest!!
#36 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 09:56 PM

I just had to jump in and say that you are all so inspiring! And granolagirl, I love your idea about the undrunk water (using it for plants). We buy our water (the municipal water is aweful and so chlorinated here), and whenever I have to toss someone elses undrunk water I feel like I am literally throwing money down the drain. I will occasionally toss it right into a plant, but sometimes when I am cleaning the kitchen I just don't think of it. I will be putting a watering can under the sink as soon as I get off the computer! Thanks for all the tips everyone!
#37 of 43 Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 PM

Okay, so what do we do . . . .

Dh carpools to work with 2 coworkers in a company vehicle; they get their gas money from a guy who buys spare metals from the shop

We live close enough to walk to just about anything we might need (library, grocery store, rec centre, etc.), but do have one vehicle (paid for, and dh is an automotive tech, so when it does need a repair he gets parts at cost).

I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash my hair and have finally weaned myself off of toxic hair products. I also clean with whit vinegar.

I try to hang to dry almost all of our laundry (I think it makes clothes last longer too, so I can't remember the last time I bought myself something new).

I loooove hand-me-downs for ds, and if friends offer me clothes (especially mat clothes now) I jump at it.

I make most of our food from scratch, including bread, muffins, and treats dor dh's lunch. Although I find that now that I am pregnant, I am eating a lot more food than before! Also, I am veg and dh enjoys eating vegetarian too -- if he's wanting meat we just go to his moms place!

We don't have cable, but do have 'rabbit ears' and check videos out of the library or borrow from friends (Although dh has been renting a lot from the video store lately -- something that we just can't really afford).

We love gift certificates and got a bunch for Christmas so we feel like we are really splurging when we use them.

Ds was cloth diapered, and now just uses cloth 'pull-ups at night.

Uh-oh ds just started pulling books of the shelf (he said he's the wind!) so I better go! I look forward to more tips!
#38 of 43 Old 02-04-2005, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Wow - this is an awesome resource....

We just moved and I feel like I am hemorrhaging money!!! Not to mention acquiring more stuff.

My plans are this:

*Thrift stores when possible (some things - like DH's pants have to be new or I end up spending just as much to buy used ones that he destroys in a week)

*limit eating out to once a week (would like to get it down to once a month) DH and I also split meals when we go out too. Amazing that you can usually feel quite full and waste nothing when you split a meal at most chain restaurants!

*Making my own curtains for the new place (though I will have to buy rods to put them on...)

*Cooking at home!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE cooking, and I don't do it enough.

*Currently, we only have one car. (mine is still back in colorado.) And he drives it to work - but work gives him a $60 gas card/month. We have a hybrid so we barely use that much anyway! (This is a highly recommended thing - if you can swing the purchase - get one! The amount you save on your gas alone is amazing!!!)

*No cable.

*Netflix instead of movies. (WAAAAYYY cheaper and can make our own popcorn! Not to mention watch the movie in bed!)

I am gonna have to say no to the bulk store idea though. I have found, when actually doing the math - that the only thing that is actually worth buying there is stuff like toilet paper and that type of products....Otherwise you end up spending about the same amount, and often times whatever you buy a bzillion of goes bad before you can use it.

* I cut out paper towels - went to all cloth towels. Less waste!! (Though dh just bought a ginormous amount of paper towels cause all our cloth ones were packed!

*reusable mama cloth/pads/keeper. Huge amount of saving on waste.

*Make your own coffee in the morning! Half the price and no diposable cup.

*If you do drink soda - get the 2 liter bottlles - better yet - stop drinking it all together.

*The less processed foods the better! Better for you and cheaper to buy a box of rice and some spices than four boxes of rice-a-roni.

I can't think of anything else....

But wow, I am gonna love this board - we are trying to save up to buy a house and I am putting us on a tight rein for the next while until we can buy a house.

That is my other huge piece of advice - not too tight a rein!! Know when you need to spend money, and do it. Don't kick yourself for having to, sometimes it just happens. But always ask yourself if you need to....i.e. Do i really need to get my windshield replaced? (YEs!!!) or Do I really need ANOTHER skein of yarn?(NO!!!):LOL

Oh so many things I could cut back on!!! Yay! I will be super happy when my moving truck gets here and I can actually cook again!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#39 of 43 Old 02-04-2005, 02:16 AM

To respond to the PP who doesn't buy bulk food! If you're worried about spoilage, a GREAT thing to do is use your freezer.
One of the best frugal things we've done is buy a chest freezer. Although we buy lots of food in bulk, and hardly any of it goes in the freezer, except meat, and shredded cheeze and juice. Otherwise, it's filled with frozen meals, muffins, breads, etc.
We buy in bulk at sams things like OG salsa, granola bars, butter (also in the freezer), parm cheeze (freezer), pasta.
Please don't let spoilage scare you away from buying in bulk! Most things don't need ref/freezing anyhow.. grains, nut butters, root veggies, baking needs, oils, etc.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#40 of 43 Old 02-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Freezing is a great idea....if you have a freezer big enough! :LOL We lived in a rental - and the freezer was tiny. We couldn't fit more than a couple bags of frozen veggies, some burgers and some ice cream in there. And we obviously didn't have anywhere to put a chest freezer. If you can do it bulk stuff is great - but KNOW if you can - or if you are likely to not be able to do it without wasting food, or money.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#41 of 43 Old 02-04-2005, 05:05 AM

nak- want to post more later, but just had to say this before i forgot

adinal-fallen tree branches make great curtain rods

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#42 of 43 Old 02-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
Wow - this is an awesome resource....

That is my other huge piece of advice - not too tight a rein!! Know when you need to spend money, and do it. Don't kick yourself for having to, sometimes it just happens. But always ask yourself if you need to....i.e. Do i really need to get my windshield replaced? (YEs!!!) or Do I really need ANOTHER skein of yarn?(NO!!!):LOL
this made me think of something we started this month which has helped us tremendously. when i was doing our budget this month, i allocated $25 in pocket money for both dh and i. we can use this money for snacks, food when we're not responsible enough to pack from home, clothing, fabric, books, etc.

dh actually feels rich now because he knows he can buy a coffee or a bag of chips if he wants to. previously we spent at least this amount on misc. stuff, but we'd worry or feel guilty every time we spent $2 because we weren't sure if we could afford it. it's a really nice feeling to have money in your pocket that you know you can spend on whatever you want, even if it isn't that much.
#43 of 43 Old 02-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Fallen tree branches sound great - unfortunately - I have no where to hang them - I need to get the pressure/spring loaded kind of curtain rod - I am in a rental - and there is nothing on these windows...and I can't put anything up. I thought about thumbtacking fabric to the windows - but that might look realy funny....and my landlord lives across the street. :LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page