Thrift store finds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's some good deals you've gotten lately?

I got a little tykes coxy coupe for $8 last week.
#2 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 02:00 AM

The other day I got a really cute lepoard print cart cover for my 10mo for about $5 and some almost new stride rite shoes for my 5-year-old for $13. Oh and she's a new brownie and I got her the brownie handbook and craft book for $2 each!
#3 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 02:18 AM

I got ds a little bathtub chair for $5.00. Not a *great* bargain but we have gotten a lot of use out of it in the last two weeks. I was on my way to buy one at Target for $12 and I stopped off at the new kids' consignment shop just in case they had one, and they did, for seven dollars less. I was proud that day

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#4 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 02:19 AM

Oh, and I just got a cute pair of Mavi cords, alomst brand new, for $10. I really, really needed pants to wear to work, too. So that was a good bargain.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#5 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 02:41 AM

A couple nice pairs of jeans for DH for $3 each. He wears an odd size, so I was pleased to find a pair of Lee jeans and a pair of Levis in great shape. If only I could find plus-size maternity wear for myself.

I found an older Kenmore sewing machine at Goodwill for $10 several months ago. It runs beautifully and is very solid. I need to have DH carry it up to my sewing room for me, LOL. I'm afraid I'll hurt myself carrying it. Yes, it weighs more than my toddler.
#6 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 10:20 AM

Brand new Carter's spring romper for dd $2
Work pants for DH $4
A bag full of nice clothes for me and dd at a local thrift store's bag sale for $3
I could've filled up a whole other bag for free but they were closing

shershine, I am jealous of your shopping cart cover find! Good one.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#7 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 10:42 AM

a half dozen "appear to be brand new" large fuzzibunz w/inserts ... - $9.
48 empty wine bottles to be cleaned/sterilised for our most recent vinting - $2.40
2 cast iron mini muffin pans and a corn stick pan - $8

that was ALL my spending money for the week - it leaves me with like 60 cents for "personal use" til Friday .. but... IT WAS WORTH IT!
#8 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 12:04 PM

Hi, all. I just found the Frugality forum and I'm glad I did. I'm in the process of trying to find ways to save money.

Mind if I jump in?

A used children's clothing store near me has a quarter sale the last Friday and Saturday of each month. They have tables full of all the clothes they couldn't accept for whatever reason (sometimes there are stains; sometimes the item is a little faded; sometimes a button's missing; more often than not, you can't find much if anything wrong with the clothes).

I've found so many great things there. I got Nike sneakers that were in great shape for 50 cents. I got Gymboree shoes (brand new, but with some light stains that came off in the wash) for a quarter, I got Gymboree Paris Kitty pants (the navy blue ones) for a quarter. They were a tad bit worn, but in great shape. They were too big for my girls, so I sold them on ebay. I also got a great pair of pink Gymboree dress shoes that I always wanted for my girls, but wouldn't spend the money on. They were too small, but again, sold them on ebay.

I went crazy trying to find anything Monsters Inc. a few months back. My kids were obsessed with it, but I couldn't find anything anywhere. I checked e-bay, Freecycle, and even the Disney store with no luck. One month, at the quarter sale, a friend found Monsters Inc. pajama pants and threw them my way. A few minutes later I found the top. My kids were thrilled to have Monsters Inc pjs that cost me a whopping 50 cents.

They have maternity stuff there too. I'm not pregnant, but I'm trying to rebuild my wardrobe (long story, but I loaned my collection of brand new maternity clothes to a family member who threw them away). Pants are hard to find there (which is what I really need, grrrr), but I've gotten a bunch of tops for a quarter each. This past weekend, I got a white sleeveless blouse and an Old Navy 3/4 sleeve top. I can't find anything wrong with them at all.

Granted, some of the stuff is really out of style or faded. I still grab some of those, though, because they're great for playing in the mud.

Every once in a while I do lose money. There's usually an item or two that can't be cleaned or the I realize later there's a rip that can't be fixed. Even then, I'm out less than a dollar.

It's also great because I can get things for friends. I have one friend who gives me bunches of her daughter's old clothes. I obviously can't repay the favor, but I can keep an eye out for things in her kids' sizes at the sale.

I'm going to be heartbroken when we have to move next year. Aside from missing my friends, I'm gonna miss my quarter sale.
#9 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 12:30 PM

You found fuzzibunz at the thrift??!! RAD!! I'm jealous. I've found good stuff to sell on ebay, but nothing for me, lately.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#10 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 01:43 PM

A Baby Bjorn in EC for $6.50. My DD is almost too big for it, but I'll pack it away for the next baby.
#11 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 04:49 PM

i went thrifting last week. i ended up getting the following baby clothes for around twelve dollars. they were all like new.

*gap denim overalls
*old navy button down shirt
*dallas stars romper
*old navy thermal onesie
*thermal onesie (can't remember the brand)

it was a pretty good haul, i guess, but i can't wait until it gets warm enough for garage sales again. they're way cheaper than even the thrift store, and there aren't any good thrift stores here locally anyway.
#12 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 05:57 PM

Saturday I found a dressy maternity dress to wear to my brother's wedding for $3.

In September I found four small bummis covers, a polar babies fleece cover, an unopened package of sposies, and some wool yarn for soakers all for less than $10. The geek that I am I still get excited when I think about it.
#13 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 06:45 PM

I found Dr Sears' The Baby Book and 3 pairs of GAP socks for my toddler for $3.50. I also got 6 small diaperap covers for $12. I was pretty happy with those finds.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#14 of 71 Old 01-31-2005, 07:11 PM

I LOVE thrift storing-----when we need something I always try there first.
In past week we scored a baby patagonia jacket 2T--winter squall type...was 3.99, I think......and a puffy down North FAce winter parka for big brother next year(or year after-but couldn't refuse)--5.99!!
It seems like if I think it----it'll come....heeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I got a great pair of ambercrombie jeans for myself-like new-perfect fit for 4.00

oh!!!! and boardgames...1.29 each--I figured they may be missing pieces, but o.k. gamble for the price--well both were like new---not even played--the pieces still intact in their baggies......WHOOOOO---HOOOOOOO..............makes living frugally, living VERY WELL!!!!!!
#15 of 71 Old 02-01-2005, 07:58 AM

i posted this in another thread, but i want to brag some more...

i got a bread machine for $7
spice grinder $3
popcorn popper $3
cord pants for dh $3
cord skirt for me $3

our salvation army has a terrible baby section. goodwill is better, but it's further away. i'm going to start buying adult stuff in nice material and sewing baby clothes out of that.
#16 of 71 Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM

Yesterday our thrift had a half-off sale. Which is good, b/c they tend to be overpriced. So found 6 board books at 13 cents each, and 3 pairs of brand new Carhartt bib overalls for $5-$8 each. Those went on Ebay last night!
I can't wait to go up to Denver in a couple weeks. I'm sure I"ll have major scores to post here They have these enourmous (for profit - not charity) thrift stores, that are more like warehouses. They only mark up the ghetto wear stuff (jinkos, adidas, etc.). There's a Hanna Andersson outlet in Denver, so there's always TONS of Hanna stuff for under $2 a piece. yay! I usually leave those stores with a garbage bag or two stuffed!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#17 of 71 Old 02-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Here's a photo of the stuff I got at Goodwill on Saturday. They were having a 50% off everything sale.

For Abi:

4 Tshirts (her favorite is the Spirit one with a horse on it)
1 pair jean overalls
1 pair shortalls
2 pairs shorts
2 shortsleeved shirts
1 longsleeved shirt
a Little People Noah's Ark

For Nitara:

2 cold-weather PJ's including a Pooh one
1 long romper
1 sailor dress (to grow into)
1 pair Pooh overalls (to grow into)
1 butterfly crib sheet
1 cloth book "The Rainbow Zebra"
1 soft doll with eyes that open and shut

All the stuff is in great shape, some name brand things

Grand total: $19.97

---------------
My all time best deal was a Peg Perego Primo Pappa highchair for $6.50!! It needed a new cover and a good cleaning, but was otherwise in great shape. I also got a nice jogging stroller for $25.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#18 of 71 Old 02-01-2005, 12:08 PM

i just got a london fog full-length raincoat with a liner for $13. it's missing the belt but is otherwise in great condition. [any tips to replace the belt?]
#19 of 71 Old 02-01-2005, 12:22 PM

I got a Mimi Maternity Black top, missing a button, but still had the baggie with the extra button and the price tag($68!!) for $5.99
A Motherhood top for $2.50
Maternity jeans that are long enough! for $5
And, I posted this already in Sewing, I got a bag of 8 crochet hooks for under $2 and 3 sets of knitting needles for $3. Oh and a package of birdseye flats for $1.
#20 of 71 Old 02-01-2005, 10:02 PM

..I tend to spend more in thrift stores than regular stores - because its so cheap. THis is a habit I have to curtail. I never buy anything totally frivolous, but I do tend to get my daughter too many toys.

This last week, hmm:
3 melissa and doug puzzles for $2 each
A whole bunch of pictures books for my DD who loves books at 69 cents each
6 bumpkins bibs (I love those!) for $10

I am also a craig's list / freecycle / classified ads junkie!
I got a large Little Tikes Easy Store slide for $10 for my daughter who was outgrowing her little one.
Also, after lots of research I decided that I wanted a MacLaren Twin Traveler for the kids when the second one arrived - I managed to find a year old one that was in brand new condition for $175, so I'm thrilled about that - cuz I know if we don't beat it up too badly I can sell it for at least half of that.

But I've bought too many things we 'need' now we are overbudget - I'm going to have to stay away from the thrift stores for a while

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#21 of 71 Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 PM

My find of the week: a brand-spanking never been worn wool and cashmere herringbone coat for DH for $5.00. It's classic and fits him perfectly (Although he's still whining that he wants a trench. Silly DH. It's -17 degrees out and he wants to run around in Polyester?)
#22 of 71 Old 02-02-2005, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer
shershine, I am jealous of your shopping cart cover find! Good one.
Yeah, I was stoked on that one. I've been wanting a cart cover for ages but couldn't justify the price tag (sometimes upwards of $40!). They're even expensive on ebay!
#23 of 71 Old 02-03-2005, 05:05 PM

Hey Countrymom- It tried to explain that to my dh. When I need something I just kind of put it out there. The latest thing was,"I really would like to find a pair of dressy boots for ds." I ended up getting a pair of like new european boots for $4.

I've had some good luck. A great Patriots snowsuit for $3, awesome mom made kitty dress (people ask about it all the time) for dd $1, Patagonia jacket for $3,

I try to stick to what I need but sometimes it is hard to resist a bargain.
#24 of 71 Old 02-04-2005, 01:48 AM

We only have 3 thrifts in our town - so they're pretty easy to hit em all up in cycles.
Today, one had a $5 paper grocery bag sale. We got about 15 items. This involved serious tight-rolling the clothes to make them all fit!! 5 Patagonia items to Ebay, one NWT Walmart item to return for store credit, REI jacket, a few Old Navy and Gymboree items for DS, socks for me, and REI thermal long underwear for DH. S-C-O-R-E!

#25 of 71 Old 02-04-2005, 02:10 AM

I got a nearly new bedding set from JC Penney- tag said it was 295.00- I got it for 30$
It included comforter, bed skirt- cutains and two pillow shams!!!
That is a deal!
I tend to go there a couple times a week- I fear that I will miss out on a good deal if I do not!!!!
I try to only shop 2nd hand if I can. All kids clothes are .50 up to size 4- so I find a bunch of great stuff there.
I CAN NOT WAIT FOR GARAGE SALE SEASON!!!!
Emilie
#26 of 71 Old 02-04-2005, 02:17 AM

..I second that, I love garage saling. Something about the hunt...

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#27 of 71 Old 02-06-2005, 04:52 AM

I just bought several books from the Babysitters Club collection for when my daughters get older. Also found a Ramona book and many classics that I read when I was younger. We're building up a library since we decided to homeschool, so we are definitely looking for discount books. I spent 50 cents for each book. On Tuesday, they're having a 1/2 price day so I'll go back and get more books - can't beat 25 cent books! I love Goodwill!

hang.gif  

#28 of 71 Old 02-06-2005, 08:00 AM

All with tags still on:

Bloomingdale's black slacks for me (plus sized, so a REAL steal at $1!)
T-shirt for nephew (says dyed with genuine kid dirt, WASH ME) for 75 cents
Jeans for niece for $2
Jean shorts for DD $2

No tags, but look brand new:
Starter winter coat for DS $1
A book on the civil war he wanted to buy last month but it was $15...$1

And not at a thrift store, but at a flea market...brand new Sunbeam 2 pound bread machine for $10.
#29 of 71 Old 02-07-2005, 01:33 AM

Ooooh! Two weeks ago I got a bread machine for $10. Never used, still in box. I won't be buying bread anymore. Tomorrow, half price on everything. Will I find the children's table I've been dreaming of?
#30 of 71 Old 02-07-2005, 08:38 AM

Do any of you have any thrift store buddies?

I wish I had a girlfriend that enjoyed this as much as I do. My dh is great with the tag sales but it isn't the same.

I think most people think the stuff I find is cool but I don't know if they would enjoy what you need to do to find some of this great stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page