I need some free entertainment!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-31-2005, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to think of some other things to do to entertain myself besides net surfing and reading. I need to get out of the house more but every time I leave the house I end up spending money. I don't want my recreation to involve shopping, browsing, etc. I don't have any friends and don't have the foggiest idea how to make them. I used to go to the local AP meetings but it was really cliqueish. It was funny b/c they would have a "frugality" topic every so often and talk about how great the Gap sales were, etc. I've never even been in a Gap.

The one friend I managed to make moved :cry Now I work when the meetings are so I can't go.

Any ideas? I feel like I have done the museums here to death. I almost always have a 2 yo in tow as well.

ETA: I'd also like ideas for things to do when I am stuck at home. I often don't have the car.
#2 of 10 Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 PM

Book stores, storytimes, maybe join the local MOMS Club.

Best of luck! I too am feeling housebound in this snow.
#3 of 10 Old 01-31-2005, 08:44 PM

Check and see what kind of free programs your local state parks have -- here they have preschool nature walks, special activites, storytime etc.
These parks are also good places for walks and hikes.
Your library and bookstores might have storytime
In the summer there are often free concerts in the parks.
Many museums have free days once a month.
Not free -- but what about a Zoo membership? Then you can go all the time and see the animals and walk around....
#4 of 10 Old 02-01-2005, 12:00 PM

One winter when I was housebound I made collages for gifts. Even using mainstream-type mags that I wouldn't ordinarily read (like Family Circle, Parents, etc.) I was able to find phrases and words and little pics to fit my family and friends.

I got the mags free from the recycling center or the library (my library had bins of mags they were getting rid of - or you can ask). These days you could probably get some via Freecycle or neighbors or whatever (alternately, there's lots of free mags you can order through the internet). The frames I got sporadically through the year - either on clearance/markdown, through thrifting or garage sales or whatever.

So, yes, this activity does involve a bit of librarying, interneting and shopping, but only a bit. The only other supplies you need are scissors, glue and paper for the base of the collage (I used old bills and statements!). Plus, in addition to keeping you entertained, you get gifts to give!

Does your library (not that again!) have movies? Challenge yourself to watch one movie a month that you would not ordinarily pick. Amazing that you can learn - or even be entertained - from pushing your own boundaries.

If you have gardens, press flowers (also makes good gifts). Get Freecycled puzzles (to pick up when you do have the car!), journal and/or write poetry or short stories, document your favorite recipes, organize your closets, or (my dad's favorite thing) make a list of every blessed thing in your house that needs to be fixed or requires attention and then work your way through them one by one. He claims you'll never be bored again!

Good luck!
#5 of 10 Old 02-01-2005, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thistle ~

I'm not sure how much you're asking for suggestions for just yourself or things to do with your 2 year old or things you can do for yourself while caring for your 2yo.

How walkable is your neighborhood? Can you just go out for a stroll? Look at trees and bushes? We go to the park if it's over 25F. We just bring towels and a broom (for snow).

DH and I do puzzles all winter. We have them set up in a "off limits to toddlers" room and we do them in the evenings. Much better than TV. I'd never thought of getting them from freecycle. That's a good idea. Or trade with friends.

How about a crafty (and cheap) hobby? Knitting is expensive if you use new 100% wool all the time, but cheap if you use thrift store yarn or tear apart thrift store sweaters. Organize the photos? Sew?
#6 of 10 Old 02-01-2005, 04:27 PM

I've been thinking about this and will just go ahead and suggest what I can...First thing I thought of was those cross word/find a word booklets. Not expensive and supposed to be good brain excercise. When the weather is better, gardening, even if it is a small garden or a garden in pots, is a good, fun thing and your 2 year old might enjoy some of it...picking tomatoes, say. Also, journaling. I saw that was mentioned. I have kept a journal for years and really enjoy it. Learn to knit ( supplies aren't so expensive) or quill, or do calligraphy...

I used to sometimes just pick a topic and then research the heck out of it. I wouldn't end up writing a paper or anything, but I learned alot of stuff.

Good luck! TB

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#7 of 10 Old 02-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Art art art. These are things that you can do with your 2 year old and still have stimulation on your own. IF you have taken any instruction in art in the past go back and redo the exercises. If not look at a book from the library. You don't need expensive supplies, you can make pretty things from kids' craft stuff too. By creating you will free your mind and let your ideas flow.

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#8 of 10 Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 AM

hows that for entertainment?

#9 of 10 Old 02-04-2005, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check out the library. Ours has a chess and scrabble club, storytimes, book clubs, etc.

And go outside and play!!!! Parks and your own backyard are still free. Take a picnic lunch somewhere.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#10 of 10 Old 02-08-2005, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, this isn't exactly free entertainment, but I believe it to be frugal -- learn to play an instrument. Many decent instruments are relatively cheap (recorders, for example) and you can endlessly learn new tunes and techniques. Better instruments are often available at second hand prices or even for free from people who couldn't make the committment (I recently gave away a mountain dulcimer and an autoharp I was no longer using). even pianos are frequently available for free. Even if you never play well, you can really keep yourself happy just by fooling around on different instruments... Learning how to sing would be even cheaper! I read about a family that kept a homemade music holder over their kitchen sink and would sing as a family while they did the dishes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page