what is on your monthly shopping/necessity/household list? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so glad we have this new forum....I am hoping it will really help me run my household better! The one thing I really struggle with is necessity vs convenience/impulse. I am curious to see what other mamas use every month in their homes. Once a month, i buy
Shampoo
toothpaste
floss
fem products
tp
paper towels
napkins
liquid soap
bar soap
facial cleanser
wipies
comet
bleach
tide
downey
bounce
garbage bags
foil
ziploc bags
motrin or tylenol (kids and adult) (once every few months)
vitamins
desitin
hairspray (every few months)
dish soap
dishwasher soap
then there's the additional impulse buys like an extra lipgloss or pack of gum or woops, we're out of batteries or lightbulbs or bandaids etc.....just always something......
I also go to Starbucks once a day (that's my necessity...help me quit)
Well, that's our basic household type stuff every month....anyone use less stuff than me?

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#2 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 02:20 AM

Hm...

Well, we buy shampoo and conditioner, but not on a monthly basis. (I shampoo every 3-4 days, dh does every day, and we buy a HUGE bottle of it)
dish soap (not every month)
dish detergent (so far, every month and a half)
TP
toothpaste (but not every month, we get a large tube)
mouthwash (again, not every month)
laundry detergent (but we stock up when there's a sale, so not every month there either)
trash bags (but we buy those every 6 months or so... I don't know how, I just know that we've only had to buy more once since I"ve been married (9 months)
freezer bags (I don't reuse them. I just can't bring myself to)
liquid soap (but we buy in bulk there too, and refill our own dispensers, so only once in a blue moon)
baking soda (bulk)
vinegar (a gallon at a time)

Thinking about what's in my cabinets.... that's all I can think of. I hardly ever buy more than one or two of those in any given month. But there's just two of us.
#3 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 02:34 AM

Cut your dryer sheets into thirds- you don't need the whole sheet per load. Some here will tell you not to use them at all( I love the scent) but I have heard you can use foil and it works as well for that.

I am glad that you posted this- cause last night I made a list of what I needed on a monthly basis to survive- I figure if I can cut our monthly grocery down to 200$ a month- which is down $250- I can pay off all our doctor bills in one year!!!!
And then next year I can pay off our credit card-!!! That is 3,000 a year savings!!!

Here is my list I made
TP 13$
Pasta- 15.00
Diapers- 25.00
wipes- 7.00
paper towels- 10.00
Olive Oil- 4.00
Cheese- 10.00
ground beef- 10.00
tortillas- 4$( would like to learn how to make my own)
bread- 10.00( buns loafs- etc)
chicken- 8.00
lettuce- 4.00( one head of iceberg per week for salads for lunch- and dinner)
tomato sauce- 6$( i just stocked up on this- 10 for 10- love those deals!)
tomatoes- 10.00
fake meat chicken patties for ds.?
yogurt- 15.00( ds loves yogurt)
bottled water- 10.00
pepsi- 10.00( my biggest weakness)
beer- 15.00
frozen veggies- 10.00
Fresh fruits- 10.00
Beans- 5.00
I have a ton of bulk stuff- so I should not have to buy sugar flour- etc etc etc. in a long time....
Anyone think of anything else I need- or not need!
We just got a great deal on trash bags- two boxes of Glad bags for 5.00!!!!
One box was originally over 6$!
#4 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 03:53 AM

I don't buy all of these every month, but here's what I buy:

shampoo and conditioner
toothpaste
pantyliners (but only til I get some sewn- I already use a Keeper and cloth pads)
paper towels (only for really disgusting jobs, like pet messes and toilet cleaning- all else gets cloth)
facial cleanser
body wash
dish soap (use it for hand soap also)
flushabe kids wipes
laundry detergent
Bon Ami- only about once every 6 months
ziploc bags
dishwasher soap
toilet paper
mouthwash
kleenex
trash bags
lotion

that's all I can think of.
#5 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM

These are the things from your list that I don't buy at all:

fem products
paper towels
napkins
liquid soap
facial cleanser
wipies
comet
bleach
downey
bounce
ziploc bags
desitin
hairspray (every few months)
Starbucks
additional impulse buys

These are things I do buy, but not every month:

Shampoo
toothpaste
floss
tp
bar soap
tide
garbage bags
foil
vitamins
dish soap
dishwasher soap

I can't think of anything that is on my list on a monthly basis that isn't food except for cat litter. We have pretty much quit using disposable items or things that need to be replaced frequently. We have found that, for us, they are budget busters and they also aren't generally good for the environment. My mom complains all the time that we don't have paper napkins or kleenex, but for us, cloth napkins and toilet paper-used-as-kleenex (or even better, handkerchiefs, although I wouldn't offer a visitor a handkerchief) are sufficient. (I have bought kleenex exactly once ... my daughter had a terrible cold and her nose got so raw it was bleeding. We used three kleenexes and then I gave the rest to my mom.) We don't generally medicate our kids, I have a no-maintanence hairstyle, and I have never used any sort of fabric softener. I hand my clothes to dry and have found that if I run them in the dryer for 10 minutes before I hang them, they are not stiff (and even if I don't run them in the dryer, they aren't bad).

Namaste!
#6 of 11 Old 02-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Here's our list (non-food):

TP
baking soda
vinegar
Borax Solution
toothpaste
shampoo
bar soap
Arm & Hammer Free liquid detergent - we try and make this last for three months, using only a teeny bit each time and only on certain things
trash bags
#7 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 01:42 AM

Hmm.. this should get me thinking, :LOL. Let's see, what do we buy on a monthly basis??
Shampoo (we don't buy this on a monthly basis, I shampoo every few days, DH every day and we also buy a BIG bottle)
toothpaste (not every month b/c I stock up when there's a sale and I have a coupon)
tp (I use cloth wipes for myself, DH uses tp so it's not a "monthly" buy)
paper towels (same thing, I try to use cloth, so this isn't monthly)
napkins
liquid soap (same as shampoo)
bar soap (only DH uses and I buy in bulk, lasts a LONG time)
tide (stock up on the BIG container and we use 1/2 the reccommended amt. for washing)
bounce (cut these in half for loads, the scent gets TOO overpowering)
garbage bags (buy large boxes of, so not a monthly purchase)
ziploc bags (really on the freezer ones for us, I can't bring myself to reuse them either)
vitamins (I'm still on my prenatals)
dish soap (I stock up on sales)
baking soda (buy a BIG bulk bag, so not EVERY month)
vinegar (buy by the gallon, but not monthly)
razors (for DH and me)
shaving gel for DH (buy alot on sale)
saline solution for DH's contacts

I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time, so hair products last me a while. We have a membership to Costco so we buy a lot in bulk. I can't really think of too much else right now

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#8 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 02:03 AM
nym

Hrmm... I buy..

TP
toothpaste
laundry soap
Garbage bags (occasionally)
ziploc bags (sometimes)
shampoo bar
baking soda and vinegar (buy the big containers so not very often)

Thats about it
#9 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
Well, that's our basic household type stuff every month....anyone use less stuff than me?
I would say we definitely BUY less stuff. But then again, there are only the three of us, and no pets. Also, anything with * is supplemented with free samples in the mail.

Compared to your list:
Shampoo- DH's a big bottle 2-3x year, mine smaller bottle 4x a year*

toothpaste-3-4x year multi-boxes*

floss-from the dentist and give-aways by insurance company at work*

fem products-maybe 4-6x a year- and I am going to switch to either Diva or moon cup and all cloth soon (not only for enviro concerns, but also, I am allergic to latex)*

tp-big pack from BJ's 3-4x a year

paper towels-see tp, though I try to use kitchen towels. DH is not very good about this.

napkins-1 or 2x a year for parties, otherwise I prefer cloth
liquid soap-maybe 2x a year

bar soap- don't buy this*

facial cleanser-don't buy this

wipies-maybe every 2 months. Used some cloth when we cloth diapered DD, but her skin was too sensitive and we couldn't find a detergent that wouldn't turn her VERY red.

comet-don't buy this (just use baking soda- HATE chlorine bleach)

bleach- see above. I use the sun and borax/ammonia/washing soda when I need extra cleaning or whitening

tide- I stock up on another brand when it is on sale b1g2, which is like every 3 months, but I alwayse have more than I need, and am experimenting for the first time today with homemade detergent

downey-don't use

bounce-don't use, although I do have a box of cheapie stuff, cut in half, in the cupboard that I bought 3 or 4 years ago.

garbage bags-box from BJ's, 2-3x a year

foil-3-4x a year

ziploc bags-3-4x a year, trying to cut back by using my reusable containers more

motrin or tylenol (kids and adult) (once every few months)- maybe once a year, although this year I have already bought two bottles because I was taking it constantly when I had the flu (3 weeks). I should also add I get this for a steal from th pharmacy at work (hospital)- I think I pay $1.80 for 75 count extra strength tylenol. We don't normally use meds.

vitamins-1x a year for me and DH each (huge BJ's bottle) and 4-5x a year for DD's liquid from the above work pharmacy

desitin-don't buy (still have the samples we were given- a little goes a long way and we only use it when she needs it)

hairspray- big bottle 1x a year or less

dish soap-3x a year

dishwasher soap-4-6x a year

We buy a lot of big sizes- they are generally less expensive, but it pays to actually compare prices, because not always. We get most of the above stuff from BJ's. But your post has prompted me to be more mindful of ways to cut back on these types of items.
#10 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 05:36 PM

EMILIE- I have some suggestions for you to think about. Do you have a BJ's or Sam's or Costco near you? Our membership is $27 to BJ's (discount from my employer-- normally $40) and we save a lot of money on th following items from you list:

TP 13$-
Pasta- 15.00
Diapers- 25.00
wipes- 7.00
paper towels- 10.00
Olive Oil- 4.00
Cheese- 10.00
bread- 10.00( buns loafs- etc)
Fresh fruits- 10.00 (we get DD's bananas there)

I don't know exaclty how much we spend on these items, but some are either less than you are spending monthly, or I know they are cheaper at our BJ's than I can get them anywhere else. Of course, you may use more of this stuff, so I don't know if I am comparing apples to apples, but it is worth looking into.

I know people don't like Wal-mart, but they are the only store left in my little town, so I do a lot of my shopping there- I can't apologize because the only other choice is to drive a long way (40 miles) to get to another store, so please don't flame me, anyone. Anyway, I buy my bottled water there- Sam's choice, and I spend $8 a month and prefer the water to any other water- I take it everywhere with me and won't drink other water if I can avoid it (it is a taste thing.)

Also, I don't know if you have time, but we got a free breadmaker from my parents when they bought a new one. I use mine a lot to make dough then cook the bread in the oven or toaster oven. Rolls are very easy, but of course, you need to have the time to do this.

I also shop at Aldi's when I am near one- I don't go out of my way to get there, since the two closest are both about 40 miles. I have not had any problems with any of their foods tasting inferior. I stock up when I am there.

Also, consider using more dish towels and fewer paper towels. DH's grandmother sends me dish towels ALL the time, so I have a huge stock to choose from, and I use them a lot. The cost of tossing a couple in a load of regular towels every couple days is negligble.

Do you use dried beans? They are MUCH MUCH cheaper than even the cheapest canned beans, and don't take that much actual time to prepare. I mean, they might take a while to cook, but it is basically get 'em started and forget 'em. You can even do a bunch up at once and put them in the freezer.

Anyway, sorry to offer you unsolicited advice, but I thought it might be helpful. If not, feel free to ignore. In either case, good luck paying your bills. If you don't mind a Christian website, you might want to check out www.daveramsey.com for inspiration.

Sorry to highjack, OP.
#11 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Let's see....

We use:

*paper towels (only used when I'm way behind on laundry and the cotton towels aren't clean.)
*paper plates/bowls/cups (only used when I'm too sick to deal with washing dishes.)
paper napkins (for the table)
ivory bar soap (used in showers, bathtub, and as shampoo.)
liquid dishwashing liquid (about every 2-3m)
baking soda (used for lots of cleaning stuff, including laundry.)
moisturizing lotion (about 2X a year)
*dishwasher detergent
*toilet paper
*tissues
*trash bags (about 2X a year)

(items marked with an * my Mom picks up for me at Costco and usually pays for.)
what I DON'T use:
shampoo or conditioner (small amounts of soap, no conditioner needed.)
disposable feminine products (I use a divacup.)
disposable diapers or wipes
laundry detergent (just baking soda for wash and vinegar in the rinse)
fabric softener (either liquid OR dryer sheets.)

I buy about 2-3 bottles of water a month and refill them (I never freeze water in them or store them filled- I rinse out and refill before each use to minimize toxins leaching into the water.)

Anyway, this thread just reminded me of laundry I need to wash so I can stop using some disposable stuff :

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page