Can you make a mistake doing your taxes with turbo tax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and if so.. what happens if we made a mistake? will they contact us?

We filed our taxes last night using Turbo Tax by web. We entered everything right (we think) but our refund is HUGE compared to last year's.. so we're thinking there's something wrong with it. Turbo Tax says there were no errors, and before we e-filed it said everything looked good but how can you know for certain? will they call us from the IRS to let us know if we made a mistake? we also put our info for direct deposit, so would they let us know before they're supposed to deposit the money?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 01:20 PM

I dunno but I always use Turbo Tax. Just check your numbers and if they look right then go ahead and send.

If the IRS catches a mistake then they'd audit you later.
#3 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

but they actually deposit the money? how long does it take?
#4 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM

I have used Turbo Tax for years and as long as you entered the #s correctly, it's always been accurate for us. They deposit it 10-16 days after the tax authority accepts the return. It's always been 10 days for us. I have never found an error with them. Last year, I even amended the prior years taxes due to some missed income and everything went fine. It's kinda nerve racking though, isn't it, the IRS is (to me) the scarriest federal agency out there!!
#5 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

why? what can they do to you? LOL this is new to us, it's our second year doing taxes here since we lived in Chile before that
#6 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 01:30 PM

Carmen, Turbo Tax garauntees that it will be correct. Unless you entered erroneous data, it is most likely correct. I have used Turbo Tax since it came out and have a pretty high regard for it. With all the tax law changes that continue to occur, there is a good likelyhood you were eligible for deductions you wouldn't have realized you were eligible for doing it the pen and paper way.

Since you e-filed, you will probably get a deposit within the next two weeks.

Congrats on being done. Some of us slackers are rather jealous.
#7 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 01:30 PM

Yeah of course they deposit the money. It usually takes about two weeks I believe. I got a ton of money back last year because I had opened up a home business and I wasn't sure if it was right but I never got audited. I guess it was right. I hope it was right cause it was all long ago spent.

I think you only get it not accepted if you did somethign way obviously wrong.

Then you only get really looked at very closely if you get audited. So yeah I'd double check my figures and make sure you put in all the right numbers cause being audited could never be fun.
#8 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortsmommy
I got a ton of money back last year because I had opened up a home business and I wasn't sure if it was right but I never got audited. I guess it was right.
This is how we felt last year too! But ours was due to capital losses and the new tax code. The money was nice, but I'd rather have National Health Care. But that's another thread...

I've always felt that quiver of uneasiness when filing with Turbo Tax, though I've only ever used Turbo Tax. I think it feels much better than trusting my own math and ability to figure the whole thing out. :LOL As long as your input is right, you should be all set.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#9 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 03:20 PM

The IRS has 3 years or so to decide to audit a person, don't they?

Not trying to freak anyone out...just saying. Not getting audited (yet) wouldn't mean much to me.
#10 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 05:00 PM

I've never done the Turbo Tax via web thing -- we have business, rental and adoption stuff to file, so I've always just done the pen & paper method. For those of you who have done Turbo Tax, how does it work? You enter your numbers as it asks? Does it give you a chance to review it before sending it? Like, if I want to compare it to what my paper figures are before submitting it? Sorry, these questions probably sound stupid. :LOL
#11 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

yes, it is almost like an interview and you can decide how complicated you need it to be, or how basic you need it to be. It lets you print before you even file, or file by mail if you wish, so you can definetely compare with paper. this is how it didnt fit, dh's paper calculations were much lower than what turbotax said we're getting, but dh didn't know about earned income tax, which we qualified for last year, and that's giving us quite a big chunk of $$$.
#12 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 05:12 PM

Go back and recheck each entry individually. We have used Turbo Tax for years and this was the first year it made a mistake. When calculating the child tax credit, it somehow entered a wrong number and showed us getting a return about $3000 more than we should have. The IRS bounced it back and we figured out the mistake and forced it to enter the correct number. If it did make a mistake, you can file an ammendment.
#13 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks LMB, I'll have to try it out this year.
#14 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 06:09 PM

You're probably getting more this year b/c of your new baby being born in 04, assuming your sig is correct. We're looking at a ton more this year also, and I'm assuming it's b/c we have another dependant and dh never changed his withholding on his paychecks.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#15 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 06:54 PM

I love TurboTax, it's done a good job for us for the last five years (and we've had self-employment stuff and other complicated items to file).

As far as being audited -- there is a statue of limitations on certain things but if 10 years down the line the IRS finds out you earned money that you did not claim they can still come after you for it plus penalties and interest. I'm not sure on all the details but that one I know I've read about.
#16 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 07:30 PM

I just did ours on turbo tax but ours was pretty simple. We are just getting EITC AND Add'l child tax credit, We might have qualified last year, I'm not sure. It was just a lot more than I was expecting.
#17 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you think Turbo Tax would work for us?
Dh is a pastor so there are weird tax laws that apply.
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#18 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Do you think Turbo Tax would work for us?
Dh is a pastor so there are weird tax laws that apply.
Annette

if you use the online one (Turbotax), and choose to do the full form instead of the simple one, there's an entire section relating to clergy .
#19 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmmmm- that's good to know!
Thanks!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#20 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 10:20 PM

last year we got our state refund deposited 3 days after we e-filed! the feds realized we had put the wrong amount for the (stupid in my opinion) midyear refund we got from W, fixed it and that deposit was in within a week

(i would laso rather have national health care ...)

Amy
#21 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

MY TAX RETURN WAS ACCEPTED! what does that mean??? that they accept the federal refund that I am claiming??? I went onto turbo tax by web, and it said that our tax return was accepted!!!! is that a good thing???
#22 of 36 Old 02-04-2005, 10:47 PM

It just means that the govt received the return electronically. That means you will get the refund in the usual time. Basically, it's confirmation it was delivered.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#23 of 36 Old 02-05-2005, 03:15 PM

I use Turbo Tax also and have never had a problem.
#24 of 36 Old 02-06-2005, 09:35 PM

I just filled out our tax return using Turbo Tax and it said we owe $1500 even though DH earned the same amount as he did last year AND we have an additional dependent now. And last year we didn't owe anything. I double-checked everything I entered, so I can't see what the problem is.

Namaste!
#25 of 36 Old 02-07-2005, 03:21 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama
I just filled out our tax return using Turbo Tax and it said we owe $1500 even though DH earned the same amount as he did last year AND we have an additional dependent now. And last year we didn't owe anything. I double-checked everything I entered, so I can't see what the problem is.

Perhaps your dh had less taken out of his paychecks for taxes this year. Have you checked the actual amounts taken out for state and federal?

Also, did your dh earn the exact same amount, or just really close to the same amount? If you were close to a tax bracket, and went over the tax bracket, the amount you owe can go up widely, even if your income just went up a little.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#26 of 36 Old 02-07-2005, 11:16 AM

Well, what happened is that I got so mad at TurboTax that I just logged out and closed the computer. An hour later I went back and logged in and our $1500 bill had "magically" been transformed into a refund. I don't know how or why this happened, as I didn't change ANYTHING! I just logged out and later logged back in.

??????

Namaste!
#27 of 36 Old 02-07-2005, 06:12 PM

Turbo Tax is great, but you still need to understand what you're doing. It keeps you from having to re-create the wheel, but you need to be able to read your tax return and understand what is on there. You need to have that same level of understanding if you do it on paper or if you hire a tax accountant. I've had friends hire tax accountants and end up paying in more than they thought they should and then they found an error on their return and got a refund instead.

I would suggest you first compare the two returns - this year and last year - side by side and see what lines have very different numbers. It could be simply that less money was withheld one year than the next. It could also be the addition of a child. We paid in $200 one year and got back $1500 the next, all thanks to the birth of our first child - there were no other changes to our deductions or anything like that.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#28 of 36 Old 02-07-2005, 07:44 PM

I tried it this year, and it did clue me in onto a credit I didn't know about. So that's cool. But it didn't bring up our adoption credit -- I had to go digging to find it. And even with the new credit, the bottom line doesn't change for us. It just rearranges our credits. I'm still going to mail in our return, but it does seem to be a somewhat useful tool. Totally NOT worth the $20 to file state returns though. :LOL
#29 of 36 Old 02-07-2005, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

ok what I don't get is... after you send it in through turbo tax... do you not hear anything until you get deposited money? will someone call me and let me know my return is correct? will I get the money anyway?
#30 of 36 Old 02-07-2005, 11:11 PM

You just get the money. Same as when you mail it in.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page