Where do you get your coupons? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2005, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find only a few each week in my Sunday paper, what other sources do you use?

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005, 05:06 PM

I started a coupon train- we have a group of 5 people who send coupons to each other. I get my coupons, initially, from the newspaper, packages, magazines, and I send e-mails to companies when they are offering them, or to ask them for coupons. I also send genuine compliments & complaints to companies, which often result in very good coupons.

That said, I am very careful about how I use coupons. I only use them for things I either buy anyway, or want to try and would have bought eventually, even if I had to pay full price. (Or, of course, when I get ones for a free item.)
Old 02-06-2005, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've found that I spend less money when I DON'T use coupons!!

I used to put a lot of effort into matching up coupons with what's on sale at what store that week- and found myself buying a lot of things we didnt' really need just because it was "such a bargain."

The stuff that has coupons (AND the stuff that goes on sale) tends to be the items that have a pretty high markup to begin with. I do stock up on items I use when they go on sale, but my local stores tend to put generic items on sale just as often as brand names- I stocked up on store-brand butter a couple of weeks ago when it was half-priced. I've discovered that a fancy new flavor if instant oatmeal might have a coupon but it's rare to find a coupon for the big tub of to-be-cooked oatmeal. A big package of rice is cheaper than a pre-seasoned mix, even when it's on sale plus you have a doubled coupon.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 AM

Coupons in the paper can be hit or miss. You can go weeks w/ nothing or very little and then, wham, there'll be several thick fliers. In our paper, organic and natural coupons are starting to pop in--Boca, Morning Star, Stonyfield Farms, Sun & Earth, Terra. From time to time, I'll notice a good coupon in a magazine, but not often. Some of my best coupons are on the packages of the items themselves. For example, Earth's Best cereal has coupons on the outside of the box, and Cascadian Farms often has coupons on the inside of the box. I've been meaning to e-mail some of my favorite brands and ask for coupons, and I've recently joined a coupon train.

User Tag List