I have $50 to spend to become even more frugal.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:LOL I know this seems like a stupid question but I have some money and was wondering what I could buy to cut down costs even more in the long run. Make sense? I was thinking along the lines of a pressure cooker so I can get cheap dry beans and not have to soak them overnight. Would that be a good frugal purchase? Can you think of anything else that you would buy to get further along in your thrift?
I could just throw it in savings but I thought I'd see if I needed to spend to save.
#2 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Congrats on the $50! Are your debts all paid off? Car payments? Is your emergency fund fully funded? Your retirement funds? Kids college funds?

Maybe it should go straight to the bank!
#3 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboogrrrl
Congrats on the $50! Are your debts all paid off? Car payments? Is your emergency fund fully funded? Your retirement funds? Kids college funds?

Car payment is 0% financing so I'm not worried about paying it down any faster than the term of the loan. It wouldn't really benefit me. Um no cc debt. I put money into savings all of the time I was just thinking of things I could do to be more frugal and I thought that buying dry beans would help out. I often find myself putting off starting dinner and then I end up doing something quick and not always healthy. Storing canned beans is taking up most of my storage and I could use the space to store bulk items instead of cans. So I want a pressure cooker. I was just wondering what other things could I buy now that would be a thrifty saving purchase in the long run but my thinking could seriously be flawed.
#4 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 04:15 PM

Along the same lines... how about a crock pot? Then you could put dinner on in the morning and it would never be a last minute issue.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#5 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 04:16 PM

keep your eyes open for secondhand pressure cookers. I bought a cooker/canner for $3 at a thrift shop, and replaced the rubber ring and pressure guage, and still came out having spent under $15. I don't often use it as a cooker though, due to the, um, gas issue. Soaking the beans helps break down the protiens.
I assume you already have a crock pot?
I would use that $$ to jazz up my stroller with better tires (it's a jogger, so I can do that) but that's me. I just want winter tires for my jogger.
Let me think about this. That's a tough call.
#6 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Oh, or a bread maker. (No idea how much they cost.) Then you could save money by making your own bread.

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#7 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMama
Oh, or a bread maker. (No idea how much they cost.) Then you could save money by making your own bread.
I make my bread in my KitchenAid stand mixer. I think that bread machine loaves look funny. Yup I have a crock..
Whats this about beans and gas? Could you tell me how to soak beans then please?
#8 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 04:35 PM

basically soaking beans (and changing the water before cooking) will help to get rid of the protiens that cause you to get gas after you eat them. Sometimes I am a rebel and throw unsoaked beans into a crock pot meal. As long as there is enough liquid (and beano ) they cook just fine.
I had one thought: how about some basic tools so that you can fix things around the house? I have my own toolbox with a hammer, a few screwdrivers, a ratchet set, a couple saws, etc etc. My next purchase will be a plane and a set of chisels to fix all the darn doors.
#9 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How about timers for your thermostat or for your water heater?
#10 of 23 Old 02-14-2005, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboogrrrl

very well put- I agree.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#11 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
How about timers for your thermostat or for your water heater?

if i had $50 i would replace the seals on my doors or insulate the garage door.
#12 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I live in an apartment so I don't want to make changes like adding a timer for my thermostat. My gas and electric are each <$40/month. We are fine from a financial standpoint. I don't like to talk about lil details like our retirement and dd's college but its taken care of. I think I'm going to get some flourescent bulbs and put the rest away for a rainy day.
#13 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 12:35 AM

um, maybe some containers and tools to make a little container garden on your patio for herbs and expensive vegetables?
Fluorescent bulbs are a good plan.
#14 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 AM

If you get a pressure cooker- you can also use it some of them as pressure canners. One of my friends does this and she cans beans, salsa, fruit- anything that isn't nailed down. I haven't done this (don't have a pressure cooker) but she claims its easy and saves a lot of money on canned goods.

Of course, fluorescent bulbs would be easier...

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#15 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfeet
I think I'm going to get some flourescent bulbs and put the rest away for a rainy day.
are there ones that don't make the kids look ill? the ones i got make my family look jaundiced.
#16 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I'm going to do a patio garden! What a fabulous idea. I have no idea about the bulbs but I checked and every fixture in our apartment uses big circular decorator bulbs except for our lamp.:LOL
#17 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 02:35 AM

Some thinks I've gotten or have been thinking about:
--seeds for growing my own organic produce
--mama cloth
--cloth cleaning rags and TP wipes (Although I just cut up old towels, socks, T-shirts.)
--cloth napkins
--cloth diapers/accessories
--pressure cooker and mason jars (I'm borrowing the cooker, but they're often for sale cheaply 2nd-hand. The mason jars are also great for pantry storage and can be sealed w/ a vacuum sealer.)
--vacuum sealer (I hate the freezer burn we get w/ regular freezer bags.)
--some books for making my own frugal organic foods, cleaners, toiletries (I checked lots out from the library and bought the few that I wanted to keep. My library can order books 40% off.)
--A chest freezer (Ours was a hand-me-down.)
--What about a sewing machine? You could save a ton of money sewing stuff you'd normally buy. Again, look second-hand.
#18 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 02:47 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#19 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 01:36 PM

I'd buy a freezer if it is allowable with your lease. I wish I could have a freezer.
#20 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 03:35 PM

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but I just bought a solar dryer (ahem - clothes line) for $45. They had to special order it for me...and dollar tree had wooden clothes pins.

I figure just the diapers alone will save me $45 in electric bills for a year.
#21 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM

The pressure cooker is a great idea. Just make sure it's not aluminum. Get a stainless steel one. Most second hand pressure cookers are aluminum. Unfortunately I haven't found a stainless steel one that is not made in China. But we were lucky when my mother in law offered to give us her 30 year old stainless steel made in the usa pressure cooker that she wasn't using. It cuts down on the cooking time (hence energy savings) and the beans not only taste better, but the nutrients are more available to digest once pressure cooked. I've read that cooking beans the old fashioned way for 12 hours is still not enough to make the nutirents available for our bodies to digest. That's why beans are associated with gas.

I've found that asking family members for kitchen items we want is a great source. I just found out my aunt has a hand cranked pasta maker that she's had for 15 years and has never used. She said we can have it.

We have been wanting to buy compact flourescents for our home too but all the ones we've found are made in China. So until they're made in a country with fair labor laws and a similar economy to the USA, we won't buy them.

If I had $50, I would put it away and keep saving for a front loading washing machine.

Lauren
#22 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If I had $50, I would put it away and keep saving for a front loading washing machine.
I do really want one of these.
Anyhow here is how I spent my money.
$33 went to buying 2 cast iron pans. I needed to replace my T-Fal. It is starting to chip and its not something that I want to have around. I was looking at stainless steel stuff but that was pricey. Well the stuff I was looking at was. So I decided to look on Amazon on a whim and found lodge logic 12" skillet for $14.99 (forget msrp) and a 3qt chicken fry pan with lid for $17.99 with a msrp of $49.99. I priced the lodge basic pan locally and it was $30 bucks I think.
Oh and free shipping. I saved $22 on that.
I also took some flannel and serged the edges and now I have cloth paper towels. I'm going to do cloth tp next.
The rest of the money I'm starting a notebook to keep me organized and on track. A place to keep my cleaning schedule and menu stuff. Possibly a price list and such too. I will probably spend less than $5 on that.
#23 of 23 Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 PM

Ooooooh, I've been wanting to phase out my nonstick pans w/ cast iron. What a great idea! And free shipping! I think I may just be getting those, too.

I think you spent your money very wisely!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page