You can reuse priority mail bags! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just checked at post office. You can reuse them (right side out) to mail other priority packages.

You can not turn them inside out or mail otherthan priority. Can't mail out first class, etc.

We have discussed this before a few times so I thought I would pass that on!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#2 of 16 Old 02-22-2005, 10:12 PM

Can I turn a used one inside out and use it for something other than Priority Mail?
#3 of 16 Old 02-26-2005, 12:30 AM

I turned a priority bag inside out today to mail a package. When it's inside out and taped shut, no one can tell that it was once a priority bag; it just looks like a white bag. Well....I was out of packing tape, so I was using the packing tape at the PO. The postmaster saw the priority logo on the edge of the package as I was taping it up and said, "You know that can only be re-mailed priority, right?" I asked, "Even if it's turned inside out and you can't see the logo?" "Yup," she said.

Granted, this same woman has given me incorrect information before! So take it w/ a grain of salt. But I'd still tape up your packages at home so they can't tell it's a reused priority bag! :LOL
#4 of 16 Old 02-26-2005, 12:40 AM

I've turned them inside out and re-used them for mailing things first class or parcel post... I guess they don't want people to do it, but what they don't know can't hurt them! :LOL
#5 of 16 Old 02-26-2005, 01:04 AM

It depends how picky your USPO is, mine is REALLY picky (of course I wish my mailman were as picky, he's a big slacker). I sent my DH to mail a pkg either parcel post or first class in an inside out priority mail envelope. Well, they got REALLY picky about it and refused to process it unless he paid for priority (which I wasn't about to do, b/c it was a very light pkg). So, I had to re-pkg it at home. I ended up buying a bunch of tyvek envelopes and plastic envelopes at a paper supply shop (they were 25 cents each), and now I use those, b/c I hardly ever mail priority mail and don't want to, "get in trouble" again.
#6 of 16 Old 02-26-2005, 01:47 PM

I think the official USPS "rules" definitely are that you have to re-mail them priority, which I honestly think it ridiculous. I can TOTALLY understand if it had not already been used to mail something priority, but the USPS is actually going to advocate wastefulness just because they want it to be sent priority? I understand that since they pay for it, they wouldn't want the package to be used solely for a cheaper class mail as they would be losing money. But they expect most people to use it once, and then it gets tossed, no? So what harm comes from it being re-used instead of tossed or before it gets recycled? I wish more people were aware of this and would make a stink about it. It is wasteful and the USPS should be ashamed of themselves.
#7 of 16 Old 02-26-2005, 01:52 PM

Huh. I turn them inside out and mail first class/parcel post all the time. I can't even guess how many times I've done that. Never had a problem. .

But then there is no consistency w USPS anyway. At my old p.o. they didn't like brown paper covering boxes. At my last p.o. they said if the box is not plain cardboard to begin with, you HAVE to cover it with brown paper. At my current p.o. they don't care either way. At my old p.o. they wouldn't take a flat rate envelope if it had any tape on it. At my last p.o. they didn't care. At my new p.o. if you didn't put tape on it, they put the tape on themselves. (I mean, they, themselves put the tape on the envelope... not that they adhere the tape to their own bodies. :LOL ) So who knows? I just do my thing and wait to get yelled at.
#8 of 16 Old 02-26-2005, 09:36 PM

Quote:
So who knows? I just do my thing and wait to get yelled at.
Well *there's* the real issue, it has nothing to do with brown paper, tape, any of that---- they just want to yell at you!

#9 of 16 Old 02-26-2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
Well *there's* the real issue, it has nothing to do with brown paper, tape, any of that---- they just want to yell at you!
Better yelling than shooting, I say.
#10 of 16 Old 03-01-2005, 09:17 AM

I just wanted to come back to this thread and say, that if you decide to reuse this, some post offices (including mine) are now charging the receiver the difference of not shipping priority if you choose to ship it first class.

This has happened to alot of women in my eBay group where we have been selling for many years, so if you choose to use the tyveks for first class, don't be surprised if you a) get an email from someone saying they were charged the difference of shipping or 2) get a package returned to sender.

Yes, I know your (general) lets you do it, but during checks and balances some post offices are known to reject packages without the proper amount of shipping.

Just thought I would let you all know.
#11 of 16 Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid
I just wanted to come back to this thread and say, that if you decide to reuse this, some post offices (including mine) are now charging the receiver the difference of not shipping priority if you choose to ship it first class.

This has happened to alot of women in my eBay group where we have been selling for many years, so if you choose to use the tyveks for first class, don't be surprised if you a) get an email from someone saying they were charged the difference of shipping or 2) get a package returned to sender.

Yes, I know your (general) lets you do it, but during checks and balances some post offices are known to reject packages without the proper amount of shipping.

Just thought I would let you all know.
and they can open the package if they think it's "improperly packaged" meaning they think it's an inside out priority bag...
#12 of 16 Old 03-01-2005, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Just follow the rule mamas
It can be a BIG deal if you are caught.

They have the policy because they provide FREE packaging for priority mail. So it makes it kind of like stealing if you send it in a form other than priority. That is not what they provided the packaging for.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 16 Old 03-14-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillamama
Huh. I turn them inside out and mail first class/parcel post all the time. I can't even guess how many times I've done that. Never had a problem. .

But then there is no consistency w USPS anyway. At my old p.o. they didn't like brown paper covering boxes. At my last p.o. they said if the box is not plain cardboard to begin with, you HAVE to cover it with brown paper. At my current p.o. they don't care either way. At my old p.o. they wouldn't take a flat rate envelope if it had any tape on it. At my last p.o. they didn't care. At my new p.o. if you didn't put tape on it, they put the tape on themselves. (I mean, they, themselves put the tape on the envelope... not that they adhere the tape to their own bodies. :LOL ) So who knows? I just do my thing and wait to get yelled at.
:

I love getting packages wrapped in brown paper. I guess I am old fashioned. I think it looks cool.
#14 of 16 Old 03-16-2005, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesMom
I think the official USPS "rules" definitely are that you have to re-mail them priority, which I honestly think it ridiculous. I can TOTALLY understand if it had not already been used to mail something priority, but the USPS is actually going to advocate wastefulness just because they want it to be sent priority? I understand that since they pay for it, they wouldn't want the package to be used solely for a cheaper class mail as they would be losing money. But they expect most people to use it once, and then it gets tossed, no? So what harm comes from it being re-used instead of tossed or before it gets recycled? I wish more people were aware of this and would make a stink about it. It is wasteful and the USPS should be ashamed of themselves.
OK, but how can they prove the bag was used for priority mail before? What's to keep an unscrupulous person from writing a phony address on the envelope, turning it inside out, and sending something out non-priority? Only by not allowing the bags to be re-used for anything but Priority Mail can they prevent that from happening.

Bottom line: The bags are property of USPS, they can decide how they are used. If the practice bothers you, then don't use the free bags.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#15 of 16 Old 03-17-2005, 11:22 AM

good info about the PO charging the receiver. I didn't know that, and have several times been in a fix and flipped the priority bag inside out. I'd hate for someone else to get charged for it!
So where's a cheap place to get tyvek envelopes? Sam's club? Ebay? hmmm...

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#16 of 16 Old 04-01-2005, 04:49 PM

Ebay has some great deals on poly mailers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page