Does anyone else have a soymilk maker? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I remember someone posting somewhere that they had one. Seeing who that was, or if anyone else has one?

Wondering what you use as a sweetener? I've been using the brown rice syrup, like the instructions say, but it's SO expensive!! I know Silk soymilk uses evap. cane juice (sugar). Would that be cheaper? What other options are there?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2005, 01:56 PM

We have one and we just use beans no sweetner. DH likes the soymilk it makes. Frankly, I can only stomach it in baked goods, pancakes.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:55 PM

I had a soytoy for 2 years (recently broke, but thinking about buying another one we liked it so much). We used maple syrup mainly, usually only a tablespoon or so for a quart plus of soymilk.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:30 PM

we had a soyajoy.

I sold it after about 6 months. Could never get it the consistency of silk. Just to runny blech!!

What do you use to thicken it?

We never added sweetner, but it was great warm with cocoa added.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:33 AM

We used a dab (less than 1/16 teaspoon) of xanthan gum. We used a blender to blend all the additions and it came out great.

(xanthan gum for thickening)
Old 03-14-2005, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ours has always been plenty thick. Especially if you shake it before pouring and it gets all the thick stuff off the bottom. Also the thick liquid calcium probably helps with that too.
I did make almond milk one time and it was super thin. But I just hadn't used enough almonds.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 AM

So, how does the price of store-bought soymilk compare with the soymilk you make with your soy milkers? Please add the cost of any additives you consider essential.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Before we had a soymilk maker, we only bought Silk soymilk, and only when it went on sale for buy-one-get-one-free about twice a year. This made a quart cost 85 cents.

With the soymilk maker, the actual beans per quart cost 14 cents, and with the added calcium, sweetener, and few grains of salt, I suppose it might up the price to 20 or 25 cents per quart.

Pretty dern cheap! Of course the price would vary depending on your source for beans. We ordered our mail order for 58 cents/lb for 50 lbs. (no shipping), so this was extremely cheap for organic soybeans, you'd have to figure the cost out with your best price on beans - I think it still would be cheaper than buying premade milk. It takes 1/2 cup of beans per quart with a Soyajoy. HTH!

Old 03-18-2005, 01:00 PM

We used a soytoy and found that a batch cost about 25 cents to make, this was more than a quart-about a quart and a half. Plus, we used the bean mash (okara) in many recipes, so were getting more than just the milk. Usually we buy WestSoy lowfat soymilk, Plain. We stock up on the twice a year buy one get one sale and end up paying about 75 cents a quart.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dready*mama
We ordered our mail order for 58 cents/lb for 50 lbs. (no shipping), so this was extremely cheap for organic soybeans, you'd have to figure the cost out with your best price on beans - I think it still would be cheaper than buying premade milk. It takes 1/2 cup of beans per quart with a Soyajoy. HTH!
Would you mind divulging your source? I so want to buy a year's worth of organic beans and rice while I'm still working to help us through my first year as a SAHM. Even better if I can make my own soy milk! I can't find a mail order source that will deliver here, so I would have to pay UPS. I'm sure your source won't deliver here either, but I have to make sure! Thanks!

Shannon, Single Mama to Delia 9/19/02 : and Mark 5/26/05 :
Old 03-22-2005, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, you'd have to pay UPS shipping from our sourse. It's TCW, a south-western mail-order based out of Tuscon, AZ. They deliver mail-order if you aren't in the southwest. I wonder how much it would be to ship them via USPS (like media or parcel rate). We have a TON of them. I mean, really, when you only use 1/2 cup per quart, and buy 50 lbs, um.... it's kinda alot! It was just so cheap, I couldn't resist! Anyhow, I put a note up at the nat. foods store, but no bites. If you're interested in taking some of these off my hands, let me know I have about 30 lbs. to spare!

Old 03-22-2005, 06:14 PM

It looks like it would be over $20 at parcel rate Thanks for the offer, though! I think I will call the natural foods store that we go to and find out who they order from.

Shannon, Single Mama to Delia 9/19/02 : and Mark 5/26/05 :

User Tag List