Homemade Gift Ideas for Grandparents? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-04-2005, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS #1 is pretty young to come up with many ideas for homemade gifts for his grandparents' upcoming birthdays. He wants to cut out paper swords for them - which is fine, but I'd like to do something more. I need ideas! I was thinking maybe a simple embroidered kitchen towel and stepping stone for garden? (like me writing on a towel, and DS going over it with yarn to say 'Gram's Kitchen", and I'm not sure what decorations, but a stone somewhere saying "Papoo's Garden")
Any more ideas? I am worried about the shipping cost of a stepping stone!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-04-2005, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Craft stores sell canvas shopping bags of all sizes that are good for decorating with fabric paints (and cheap to mail!).
#3 of 6 Old 03-05-2005, 06:44 PM

I made DD's great-grandmother an album of pictures of her - I did it scrapbooking style, but kept it very simple. Just got an album and the plastic dividers and a pack of coordinating paper and then printed the pictures from my computer, cutting them out leaving a white border that acted as a matting and put them in. She absolutely loves it.

Another similar thing I did for the grandparents was to find a small album made entirely of paper, the kind that has about 10 pages inside and fits 4x6 photos - but doesn't have pockets, you have to affix the photos and stenciled 'Grandma's Brag Book' on the front and filled it with pictures of the little one. I didn't make the album itself, but everyone who saw it assumed I did LOL.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#4 of 6 Old 03-05-2005, 06:51 PM

I used the canvas gift idea for Christmas. I painted the kids' hands and they put their handprints on them. They turned out really cute.
#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 02:39 AM

Both Grandmas loved what we did this Christmas. They both write letters a lot to family so it matched them well.

We took cheap, white, blank cards and made a handprint of my toddler's hand on the front of each with different colored tempra paint, and wrote his age next to the hand. We then wrote on the back "a Sam original, date"

I made an assembly line by taping a bunch on cards on teh bath tub wall, painted his hand and then guided his hand. It worked well.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

That's a really cute idea, mammo2sammo!
One grandma's birthday was last week and we made something that was SO cute, I'll definatly have to use it for the other grandma maybe at x-mas. I can't take credit, though - it was from the Family Fun magazine. Find a cheap clock (we got a wall clock at Walmart for 3.99). We cut out pictures of the kids, and one with me in it, and one with DH in it, and put a picture over each number of the clock. Then wrote in the middle "We Love You All The Time!" . It was REALLY cute! And a bonus was that it gave me a use for pictures that I didn't know what to do with ... like I had some really sweet ones of the boys, but DH was in them scowling at the camera . Anyhow, I could just cut out the boys cute faces from those. And I had one that my DH took of us infront of these beautiful mountains - except he didn't want people in it, I had to practically force him to let us in the picture, so we ended up being really tiny in the picture, but it was perfect for a 1" diameter circle!
Anyhow, the grandpa we got an Emeril cookbook from Amazon for $5, figured we should hold off on the stepping stone until we can deliver it ourselves (we'vre moving closer this summer). The other grandma's birthday is next week (she's getting the TWG book), and an uncle as well (cookies I think for the bachelor). sheesh. we get hit hard in march!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page