Cheap eco-safe cleaning supplies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-11-2005, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in a spring cleaning frenzy here (a bit early, but the bug bit) and this year wanted to clean with eco and family friendly cleaning supplies. BUT - I don't want to spend big bucks to get the commercially produced eco friendly cleaning supplies.

Any great tips out there for cleaning in a way that won't introduce noxious chemicals to my household but will also be inexpensive?

--Kari
#2 of 8 Old 03-11-2005, 10:46 PM

vinegar cleans shower heads, faucets, toilets...just let the vinegar soak a few minutes in the toilet and scrub it away.

Baking soda cleans the sink, tub, counters, etc. Just wet the baking soda and it works like comet. I use a fabric sheet to dust because it's an awesome dust collector...I of course use one I've already used so getting two uses there.

Hmm that's all I can think of at this time. HTH.

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#3 of 8 Old 03-14-2005, 05:57 PM

Castile soap works well too and a bottle lasts a long time.
#4 of 8 Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Check your local library for a copy of Clean House, Clean Planet. There are recipes in there for absolutely everything! Off the top of my head, the key ingredients are vinegar, baking soda, borax, cream of tartar, washing soda, lemons... I think those things will basically help you clean anything that needs to be cleaned, and do as good or better a job than the commercial products.

We pretty much clean everything with either baking soda or vinegar. Vinegar whenever we need a spray - faucets, mirrors, windows, floors, dusting; baking soda whenever we need to scrub - tubs, counter tops, sinks.

Happy cleaning!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#5 of 8 Old 03-15-2005, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I'm going to also check out the book!

--Kari
#6 of 8 Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just did an online search of my library and put a hold on the book!
#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2005, 10:52 PM

We use baking soda and/or vinegar on everything!
Baking soda paste is a non-abrasive scrub. It works well on counters, sinks, toilets, etc. I also sprinkle baking soda on our carpets and let it sit for a few minutes before vacumming. I also use baking soda to wash dishes and clothes.
Vinegar works well on counters, sinks, mirrors, walls, woodwork, floors, dusting, etc.
If our toilet gets really icky, I first scrub the bowl with baking soda, then pour in vinegar and let it fizz ... let it sit for a while, then flush and it's sparkling clean!
Once or twice a year I use lemon oil on woodwork. This keeps our cat from scratching it, gives the wood moisture and rejuvinates it.
Baking soda and vinegar are also environmentally safe!

We also use baking soda and vinegar on our hair! The males in our family use apple cider vinegar rinse on their long, curly hair (a tablespoon of vinegar in a big spray bottle) and my dd and I use baking soda rinse on our hair. (Vinegar makes the folicles lay smooth and makes my boys' tangly hair extremely easy to comb and super soft! Baking soda is good on oily hair and on people whose hair needs more body, as it makes the follicles stand up and makes hair appear fuller ...and nice and soft, too!)

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#8 of 8 Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

KoalaMama:

I got the book from our library and love the recipes! I especially like how the author rated the different cleaning recipes to let the reader know how much effort they would take to use.

-Kari

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page