Protesting credit report? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went to TAO to post this, but it is apparently closed due to people not posting things where they belong, among other things. So, here I am posting something where it doesn't belong!

Anyway, has anyone ever had to dispute something on your credit report? Or know how it is done? I know that there are three different credit reporting agencies, but not all their names. I know one is called Experian. Do you have to dispute the report with all three, or just one? I know I can go online to do this, but other than that I'm clueless. Can anyone help me out?

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#2 of 10 Old 03-15-2005, 07:47 PM

My best friend is dealing with another thing on her credit report due to identity theft. I'll talk to her tomorrow and find out what you need to do. She's unfortunately and expert in this stuff!
#3 of 10 Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM

Go here: www.creditboards.com

Click on the Credit Forum. There is SO much good information there about exactly what you're asking.
#4 of 10 Old 03-16-2005, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just went through this myself. In fact, I got the corrected report yesterday from Experian.

You only need to dispute with one of the major agencies (Experian, TransUnion, Equifax). Once the dispute is settled, it will be updated on all three systems. You will receive confirmation of this from the agency that you placed the dispute.

Good luck!
#5 of 10 Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 AM

I don't think that's necessarily true. Sometimes an error isn't ON all three reports. You have to dispute with the company that has the erroneous report. I know b/c I had a DIFFERENT error on each of the reports & had to dispute each error individually.

AmiBeth

#6 of 10 Old 03-16-2005, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually, my error was only listed on Experian and TransUnion. It was fine on Equifax. After the confirmation with Experian yesterday, I called TransUnion to insure that it had been corrected, as Experian claimed.

Sure enough, it was. TransUnion told me they received the update a week before I received my written confirmation yesterday.
#7 of 10 Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 PM

Just an fyi- MDC does have a financial area. I think it's a subforum of mindful home management. If I knew how to post a link, I would SO do that for ya!
#8 of 10 Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM

Moving this to finances where it is absolutely does belong!
#9 of 10 Old 03-16-2005, 04:50 PM

To clear something up you'll need to get a copy of your report and then follow the dispute instructions on the report. Most you can handle online.

Someone stole my identity a couple of years ago and I have cleared things up on each of the reports only to have them show up again later.

I check my report every three months (as allowed by law for id theft victims) and sure enough, this last time I checked (last week) an item showing an inquiry that the thief did online is showing up again on one of the reports. I'm going to have to contact the agency again and tell them to remove it again.

It's the same inquiry, over a year old, but somehow it keeps popping up.

If you do clear it up with one be sure and check the other two to verify they've corrected it, too.

It's a fairly easy process as far as giving them the info and waiting to hear back from them but it can be time consuming and just a huge hassle to deal with.

Best wishes!
#10 of 10 Old 03-17-2005, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody! I did go to Experian's website and found it very helpful. I had no idea that MDC had a finance forum. Go figure! It has become so big and overwhelming I pretty much just stay put in the parenting forums and don't venture out much. I joined about 5 or 6 years ago when there were only about half a dozen or so forums! I did check the other forums when looking where to put this, but didn't think to check the subforums.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page