Help me not buy perishable items! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I must throw out at least $100 worth of food a month that went bad either before I had a chance to make the recipe I was planning or when something came up and I didnt make the recipe. I'm mostly talking about fresh fruits and veggies. I know I can buy frozen but for example I was making a recipe involving leeks and they don't sell frozen leeks. So what are my options here?

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can substitute onions for leeks in recipes. I don't consider onions to be perishable- they keep for several weeks at room temperature.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 02:54 PM

I use some really nice containers made by Tupperware that are called Frigsmart. They have kept my strawberries fresh for longer than a week instead of a couple of days.
I am currently using one for lettuce. So far it has been 5 days for the lettuce!!!

not trying to self-promote my business but they really do work. if you want more info or help, let me know or just go to their website.

Amy
#4 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How often do you shop?

Would it work to note those things that go bad more quickly and write out a menu day-by-day with those meals requiring quick-to-spoil ingredients listed first? Our menu is posted on the fridge without days assinged to them. We make what we have time for that night, but we do note which things should be made soon to avoid things going bad.

Also, we do try to "cluster" those meals requiring similar ingredients like leeks to use up the whole bunch. We are also pretty lax with recipes and will toss in a spare leek in place of an onion if it's going to go bad otherwise.
#5 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 03:36 PM

One womans trash another womans treasure...

I have a few of those fridge smarts. If you want them, I would be happy to send them if I cannot get someone else to take them.

I did the whole tupperware thing a few years ago- I have now decluttered it to what I really use.
Lettuce starts to get wilted after 4 days even in fridgesmarts. But wrapped up in a paper towel in your crisper they will also last about that.

I use the rock n serves, larg freezermates, round pie takers for pies and cookies, They are all great but I cannot pay people to take those fridge smarts/

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 05:14 PM

I find lettuce stays well in a plastic bag that's not closed too tightly, if I spray in a bit of water every couple of days to keep the humidity up.

Jokerama, I had the same problem as you. I've been much better since I started shopping for perishables much more often. Yes, I spend more money on gas running to the market every other day (6.5 miles away from me). But I'm certain I save more than that in not wasting expensive organic food. Plus, I try to think out other errands that I have to do so I can combine frequent grocery trips with them. That way, I'm not running to the bank one day, the grocery store the next, the garage the third, and the grocery again the fourth day. Rather, I'll do the bank and grocery one day, and the garage and grocery on the third day.

Currently, I drive really far once every two weeks for almost all my dairy and meat, plus bulk items and some convenience items. In between, I go to the local organic market for produce and a few fill-in meat and dairy items. I also make up large pots of things like chili and soup, which allows me to have a bunch of healthful meals prepared without having to worry about keeping perishable raw foods around and forgetting to use them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page