rotisserie ovens-are they worth the $$$$ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-17-2005, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband LOVES those chickens from Sam's, Wal-mart, Safeway,etc. and buys them often for lunch while at work. They're about $5.00 a chicken. I've checked into the George Foreman ovens and one can be purchased on ebay for a lot cheaper than at local discount stores. Are they worth it or is it just another big appliance on the small, small counter that never gets used? REcommended brands? Does the BAby George (I thinks that's the name) cook turkeys? We are a family of seven, would the Baby George be sufficient? Thanks for your feedback.
#2 of 6 Old 03-17-2005, 01:58 AM

I love rotisseried chicken and roasts

I had an old one that the door wouldnt stay closed nor did it have all its feet so I threw it out. Oh do I miss the yummy meats that it cooked.

One chicken isnt big enough for the 5 of us though only 4 of us eats.

I would just get a cheep rotisserie oven.
#3 of 6 Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 AM

How does a chicken cooked this way differ from one roasted in a pan in the oven?
#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2005, 04:08 PM

we rarely use ours on the account that it takes so long (20 min per lb or thereabouts). Those take out chickens are usualy a "fast fix" for us. Tho DHs fave roast chicken comes from a middle eastern place that serves them with humus pita garlick sauch tomatoes and pickles -- yum! Something I can't quite replicate. Get a cheap one and give it a try. The grocery store does sell "roasting cheickens" they are bigger, jucier and more expensive. I'm not sure of its worth the extra $ or not...
#5 of 6 Old 03-21-2005, 12:45 AM

I find it's often cheaper to buy those cooked rotisserie chickens than to buy and cook them at home anyway. To buy a fancy little oven would make it even more expensive. Just my opinion, though.

Kerri
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 10:37 AM

There is a recipe for 'Sticky Chicken' that's been floating around the 'net for years. You rub seasonings onto the whole chicken, stuff it with chopped onion, and marinate in the fridge overnight. Cook it slowly at 250 or something for 4-5 hours. I do these two at a time, and it really does give a rotisserie flavor. Try google, as there are *tons* of websites with the recipe.

You can also marinate the whole chickens when you get home from the grocery store (from stocking up on a chicken sale!), and freeze them until you want to roast one.

I'm not troubled by the whole slow cooking time, as I'm careful about how I thaw & handle the birds before they go into the oven, and always check the internal temp before I serve it.

simply being a mama to 5!loving, living and learning at home...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page