Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to b
#32 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

let me just say...*WOW*...I didnt know what I was starting here, lol!!

My mom, dad, me, and DH have all worked for wal-mart at some point in our lives. my mom is the only one that's still there. There's alot of things wrong with WM in general, but I still go there. They are next to an outlet mall, where there's a Carter's store where I can get a 4 piece outfit for my DD for $3...but i still go to WM to get food and other things i need b/c they are cheaper than the local grocery/drugstore/convenience store. I also shop at Sam's (altho I dont have a membership atm) b/c it is cheaper and I can feed my family for a much cheaper price than if I bought food at the local grocery.

I didnt' mean to start a big debate about WM or anything, I was just excited and trying to help some other mama win a gift card so maybe she could buy clothes/shoes/food/drinks, heck even gas, just for bringing a cart into the store!

I didnt know we had a frugality board, else I would've posted there to begin with, sorry mods!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#33 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 01:45 AM

:LOL
I saw this title thinking.. OH boy! What's gettin started now?
:LOL
Thanks for the tip! We do go to Walmart about once-a-month to meet my DH's crap-food need :LOL and get dog food and cheese (white cheddar for cheap! ).
just my .02 though, I would never buy clothes there (well, okay, I did buy a pack of socks for DS once!). But their clothes are of poor quality, and the "cast-offs" at the thrift are good stuff! (why get Faded Glory brand when you can do some hunting and fine Patagonia, Hanna Andersson, Oilily, Gap, OshKosh, Merrell shoes, etc.????)

whomever posted that they think walmart has better quality clothes than thrifts and yardsales - go check out the thread of all the great scores mamas have gotten from thrifts and get inspired! This is the Frugality board afterall

ETA: If you really love Walmart clothes... the thrift stores and yardsales are LOADED with those too!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#34 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 04:33 AM

Walmart here is too expensive for me to shop there regularly.

But I do go about 2x month late at night. Its the only store within 25 miles that has things I need. I don't get much there but what I do get is cheap.

I can't stomache driving 50 miles at 11pm roundtrip to avoid Wallmart. Plus the GAS cost.

I used to boycott Walmart, before I had twins. :LOL

To the OP, thanks but I won't even remember it when I am there next.

Twin brain....
#35 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

Walmart is a recent thing around here :LOL. We had one open up about 20 minutes west. Funny they have hitching posts for the Amish and the Amish and Mennonites love the place

We had another Walmart open up in our local shopping community but it just isn't nice (have only gone in twice in the past two years it's existed.)

I have been poor, dirt poor with lots of children. I clothed them with thrift shop and garage sale finds. The quality of the clothing was far superior to anything I find in discount stores. I also shop TJ, Marshals and (I understand there are ethical issues) the sales rack at the gap.

I feel sorry for people who feel as though they have no choice but Walmart. I can't get past the feeling that a small dynastic family is taking advantage of the poor (especially rural poor) people of this world.

Debra Baker
#36 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 AM

Pay now or pay later.....

I live in a town that is being ruined by Walmart. It might be cheaper to get stuff there but the money I save is not going to bring back the small town charm that we used to have here. I refuse to shop there no matter what. There are things I thought needed that I can only get at Walmart. Turns out that with some creativity, I do not need to go there. I shop the thrift stores and garage sales. I shop online when I absolutely have to. And I go without for anything else. Even if I wanted to break down and go there, I cannot. I have a very recognizable car, this is a small town, and I have written too many letters to the editor.......
#37 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopervegan
Even if I wanted to break down and go there, I cannot. I have a very recognizable car, this is a small town, and I have written too many letters to the editor.......
#38 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure if it's also in Canada, this contest.

OT, For my city, it has taking a tole on local business but it is cheaper to go there and buy clothes. The prices of food is the same or a bit more expensive than the other stores, so I go else where. We don't have a thrift store here, so WM is the place to go for cheap clothes. Zellers is one too.

I think it all depends on whaht kind of stores can give you all you want to buy. I buy some clothes at wm but not all are from there. And I go do my groceries at a local store, not WM, because it's cheaper at the local.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#39 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The local mom and pop store also have major attitudes
wouldn't you if the local Walmart was driving you out of business?

I've been in both situations: a one-horse town that only had a walmart and a city with many other options. For all the negatives of living in a city, not having to shop at walmart is a big positive!
#40 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Who said "Pay now or pay later"? That is so true! I can 100% guarantee you that the bigwigs at WalMart are NOT cutting their profit margin just to be able to give you lower prices out of the goodness of their hearts. So where's it coming from? It's coming from manipulating & exploiting the labor force here in the US. It's coming from having children like yours & mine work long days sewing crappy shirts for a few cents in bad conditions. It's coming from horrible environmental practices -- who cares what we poison as long as it saves us a buck? It's coming from selling just plain crap, stuff with the same brand names made especially for them out of lower-quality materials. It's coming from tax breaks & ordinances bent out of all recognition for a huge business. YOU end up paying for it later!

You know that scene in Chicken Run? Where the Tweedys give the chickens unlimited grain to fatten them up for chicken pie? And the chickens don't stop to think about it, they just dive in and pig out? I am always reminded of that scene when people rave about how low the prices at WalMart are.

One other thing: It's true that the general run of big-box businesses (Target, Fred Meyer, etc) is not exactly saintly. The point here is that WalMart is *far beyond* the general run. To say, "Well, none of them are perfect, so it doesn't make a difference" is like saying "Well, it's hot outside today, so I might as well switch my oven on to Broil and climb in."
#41 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 11:18 PM

$65 is kind of a lot imo for those three items you purchased. or maybe I'm just super frugal. I buy my kids shoes at Target or Payless for $10-12 each. And jackets at yard sales or resale shops. Most of the clothing is next to new and inexpensive. I personally do not like Walmart's clothing too cheap looking and not well made. I don't really shop at Walmart except that I've been buying their kitten Max food because it's comparable to Nutro Natural Choice, which is a lot cheaper and my kitty likes it much better. nobody should make someone else feel bad about where they purchase their items tho, I see a lot of downtalking towards others and it's just not right.

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#42 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly
I'm glad you are all so well-off that you can avoid Wal-mart but as someone who's family makes $28000 a year I am very thankful for Wal-mart as it is the only place I can afford to buy my children new clothes. Or are "poor" people like me just supposed to dress our kids in your cast-offs at the thrift store? I was just at Wal-mart today and managed to buy my kids each a new pair of shoes, really nice spring jackets and sunglasses for $65 dollars. Yep I'm lovin' Wal-mart. If I went to a local store I would walk out with maybe one pair of shoes or one jacket for that price. Glad you're not that "desperate" but I am.
I make less than half of that a year.

I would rather buy my children quality clothes at thrift stores than poorly made clothing "brand new." I gladly accept hand-me-downs from friends and relatives. My children may not get "new" clothes for Passover this year but they WILL have plenty of clothes that fit!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#43 of 49 Old 03-31-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
One other thing: It's true that the general run of big-box businesses (Target, Fred Meyer, etc) is not exactly saintly. The point here is that WalMart is *far beyond* the general run. To say, "Well, none of them are perfect, so it doesn't make a difference" is like saying "Well, it's hot outside today, so I might as well switch my oven on to Broil and climb in."
Amen, GirlinDocs! I grew up in Minneapolis, which is the home of Dayton-Hudson Corporation, the owners of Target, Mervyns and whatever they're calling the store that used to be Dayton's these days. I've worked for them as a teenager working customer service at Target, and made $2.50/hr over the minimum wage to start with health benefits after 60 days. They treat employees fairly, have good labour practices, promote women, offer maternity leave, and don't lock their maintenence people in overnight. I cannot find any evidence of anything even close to resembling the HUGE class action suits that have been filed against wal-mart (and, mind you, which wal-mart has consistently settled or lost) about Sexual Harassment, Gender Discrimination, Employee Maltreatment, or exploiting undocumented aliens. I'm less than happy about Dayton-Hudson's use of sweat shop labor, but all in all, I sleep better giving them my money than I do giving it to Sam Walton!

(That said, why in the world is it that the good sugar-free candies that calm my morning sickness are made only by Wal-Mart? It's like torture, I swear!)
#44 of 49 Old 03-31-2005, 01:36 AM

I found this article interesting ... http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05031101.htm

but the interesting part was that "For a two-hundred-employee Wal-Mart store, the government is spending $108,000 a year for children's health care; $125,000 a year in tax credits and deductions for low-income families; and $42,000 a year in housing assistance. The report estimates that a two-hundred-employee Wal-Mart store costs federal taxpayers $420,000 a year, or about $2,103 per Wal-Mart employee. That translates into a total annual welfare bill of $2.5 billion for Wal-Mart's 1.2 million U.S. employees."

How much do I really save at walmart?
#45 of 49 Old 04-07-2005, 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=yoopervegan}

Even if I wanted to break down and go there, I cannot. I have a very recognizable car, this is a small town, and I have written too many letters to the editor.......[/QUOTE]

Just drive to Appleton, WI like all the other people in the UP. (Just kidding). I avoid Wal-Mart for many reasons, but have never out and out boycotted it. I bet I spent less than $100 in there in the last 12 months and darkened the door just 3-4 times. I bought DVD's at xmas time for my neice and nephew there only because if they already had the same DVD the could be returned easily.

I also live where the grocery business is very competative and Wal-Mart is definitely not the cheapest, doesn't have the best selection, or the best shopping experience. For this I will be eternally greatful.

I also love the thrill of the hunt with thrift shopping. I want to go were Dready Mama goes to find the Hanna stuff though. I think I find way better stuff for less $ that way. And if something gets wrecked I usually only out a dollar or two.
#46 of 49 Old 04-16-2005, 10:13 PM

if you want to shop at walmart more power to you, i just choose not to and i can..........there is everything i need here close by
#47 of 49 Old 04-17-2005, 08:17 AM

Just a little support for the OP---
I am so not ashamed in the least that I shop at wal mart for many household items because it IS the cheapest, and that is where our family is at right now-- buying what we need for the obviously cheapest prices.
I will be entering that contest that you posted about, and I thank you for informing me about it. I am there at least a few times per month, and every $25 would help!
Thanks for sharing.
#48 of 49 Old 04-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Banned

Allie,

I can understand your perspective but Walmart sells junk and they format their stores in a manner that many (dare I say the vast majority) of shoppers buy things that they didn't go into the store to buy.

Along with finding the best prices for goods it is also important not to buy things you don't need!!! So perhaps walmart is good on the one hand but it is horrid on the other.

db
#49 of 49 Old 04-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
Allie,

I can understand your perspective but Walmart sells junk and they format their stores in a manner that many (dare I say the vast majority) of shoppers buy things that they didn't go into the store to buy.

Along with finding the best prices for goods it is also important not to buy things you don't need!!! So perhaps walmart is good on the one hand but it is horrid on the other.

db
I've never met a store that DIDN't do that!! Every grocery store in Amerika has candy in their checkouts, and items nicely displayed so you'll buy more. that is the reason ANY store has a sale. Is to make you come in there when you normally wouldn't - with the added hope of you buying things there you didn't intend to buy. Our natural foods coop has nice magazines and candies in the checkout, as well as samples set throughout the store trying to make you buy things you didn't come there to buy. Even the thrift shop sells gum trying to make even that extra quarter.

BACK to the topic!! I still keep forgetting to ask Walmart about that contest! I go there very infrequently, so I need to hurry up and remember! Does anyone know when it ends?

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page