If you shop at Wal-Mart... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
then get a cart from the parking lot and take it inside with you! Talk to the door greeter and make sure s/he gives you the form to fill out.

You can get entered to win a $25 gift card...which you can use in the store, (of course, duh, lol) or at their Murphey gas stations (which will also give you a 0.03 per gallon discount).

Just thought I'd pass it along. I asked the doorgreeter that I spoke to if this was an all-over contest, and she said that is was, as far as she knew.

so good luck! I'll find out if I won on monday.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#2 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 06:28 PM

I tend to avoid WM like the plague, but good luck to you....I hope you win
#3 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Walmart is persona non grata around here.
#4 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM

Good tip. My little crunchy-less town has few choices, walmart being one of them. We have one natural/health food store, but it only stocks a very limited amount of groceries.

Those of you that live in an area where you can get what you need WITHOUT going to walmart should consider yourselves VERY fortunate.
#5 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAida
Good tip. My little crunchy-less town has few choices, walmart being one of them. We have one natural/health food store, but it only stocks a very limited amount of groceries.

Those of you that live in an area where you can get what you need WITHOUT going to walmart should consider yourselves VERY fortunate.

Well, at least two stores have shut down around here BECAUSE of Walmart. So, the very presence of Walmart makes it more difficult to get what I need! I will drive as far as I need to drive; I will never darken the doorway of Walmart again. (Or evil-Mart as we like to call it.)

Anyway, sorry to thread steal. Good luck with that contest. Of course $25 is a very, very small drop in the bucket to Walmart.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#6 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 07:31 PM

Just a thought---I save so much money NOT going to Walmart. I haven't been in over a year, and find that I "need" so much less. We would go in there and get lost. Plus I no longer get headaches. That place seriously gave me headaches.

Good luck on the raffle though.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#7 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAida

JoAida......sounds likeyou live in my town. Same tiny health food store. Same Walmart not to mention the Dunkin Donuts, Blockbuster, Fashion Bug etc. that came along with it. When I drive by that strip mall I think of all the wild things that used to live in the beautiful field it once was.

PS -I too am sorry for getting off subject.
#8 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

I must be very desparate to shop at Walmart.

I am not presently that desperate.

Debra Baker
#9 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 07:49 PM

Not even a free giftcard could get me in the doors of that place.
#10 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting contest. I often take carts into stores with me, and I try to take the ones that aren't in the corral, or if I see someone loading their groceries into their trunk, I will offer to take their cart back into the store for them.

One day I went around TJ's and spent a good half hour at least collecting carts from all over the place. It's a neverending job!
#11 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Thank you for the tip Christy. Even though lots of MDCers don't do Wal-Mart, I'm sure just as many will find it helpful.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#12 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:05 PM

I'm glad you are all so well-off that you can avoid Wal-mart but as someone who's family makes $28000 a year I am very thankful for Wal-mart as it is the only place I can afford to buy my children new clothes. Or are "poor" people like me just supposed to dress our kids in your cast-offs at the thrift store? I was just at Wal-mart today and managed to buy my kids each a new pair of shoes, really nice spring jackets and sunglasses for $65 dollars. Yep I'm lovin' Wal-mart. If I went to a local store I would walk out with maybe one pair of shoes or one jacket for that price. Glad you're not that "desperate" but I am.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#13 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:11 PM

For me personally I don't avoid Walmart because I'm "well off", I avoid it because the place is always too crowded and it literally gives me a headache when I go in. I can't stand watching parents ignore their children and/or scream at them in an aisle. Every time I've ever gone in it's been a horrible experience so I've vowed to never walk in one again if I can avoid it. Oh and Walmart put my sister in ICU a few years ago because they used some sort of odorless chemical cleaner that literally took her breath away and she passed out (she's severely asthmatic).

So instead of shopping at Walmart I go to Target or Ross or Marshall's or TJ-Max, etc. There are a lot of bargain stores around here where I can get everything else I need without having to go to Walmart. I'm fortunate enough to live in a city where there is a huge variety of shopping centers and stores of every kind. If I only had one choice to shop I would have to go to Walmart...it would be a non-issue.
#14 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 PM

:
#15 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Well, since the topic is at hand, I don't specifically avoid Wal-Mart. I actually stopped shopping there several years ago for the simple fact that I hated the shopping experience and the way the store was laid out, and I liked Target much better. I have been in the Wal-Marts this year and they have changed the layouts, so the shopping experience is better, but I still try to avoid Wal-Mart and Target and even the grocery store somedays. I always spend so much money when I go out, I've been trying to avoid most shopping. I actually do get clothes from my kids as hand me downs from other people or from resale shops. I'm happy that people recycle clothing. My ILs buy them new stuff and, well, I do to sometimes, usually online because I can control my spending better there.
#16 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:36 PM

I have been Walmart-free since December, And, for the record, I am clothing three children on a pastor's salary, which is signifigantly less than $28,000 a year. I would not want to clothe my children at the expense of other children working in sweatshop conditions in other countries, nor do I want to support a company that routinely discriminates against women and tramples over local small businesses.

And, even if I had tons of money, I would still proudly shop at thrift stores, rummage sales, yard sales, and ebay, because recycling and reusing is a good thing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#17 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:38 PM

let's see: activism or frugal living
#18 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:40 PM

Wolfmama, you psychis, do you see a voe in the future?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
I have been Walmart-free since December, And, for the record, I am clothing three children on a pastor's salary, which is signifigantly less than $28,000 a year. I would not want to clothe my children at the expense of other children working in sweatshop conditions in other countries, nor do I want to support a company that routinely discriminates against women and tramples over local small businesses.

And, even if I had tons of money, I would still proudly shop at thrift stores, rummage sales, yard sales, and ebay, because recycling and reusing is a good thing.

#20 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 09:06 PM

I also avoid walmart like the plague, despite not coming anywhere near a salary like 28k/yr. It gives me a headache as well, and I prefer to support Canadian retailers.
Those "thrift shop castoffs" are awesome! I got my DS's winter wear at the thrift shop and clothed him completely for under $30 including a Mountain Equipment Co-op (awesome co.) parka and high-end rain pants.
Besides, i would rather spend $5 for a near-new shirt at a consignment store than spent $5 for the shirt at wal-mart because I have found that their clothes pill and wear after the first wash.

I can pull myself back on topic.
Thank you for the tip, Christy. I will tell my mother who does not have the same "issues" as I do. My dog is old, and for whatever reason tolerates the walmart brand dog food better than any other.
#21 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Wolfmama, you psychis, do you see a voe in the future?
:LOL excuse me frugality, not frugal living
#22 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 09:28 PM

I did want to say that I am not condemning anyone for shopping at Walmart- we all weigh our choices and decide what's best. But making it sound as if you are forced to shop at Walmart seems disingenuous to me. It's honest to say, I want to buy as many new things for as little money as I can, and Walmart allows me to do that. That's not my personal moral code, but I know to some people that is important, just as leaving a small ecological footprint is important to me. There are almost always choices.

#23 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 PM

well said.
I also do not fault anyone for shopping anywhere that is their choice but to assume we avoid somewhere because we are fantabulously wealthy is just silly.
#24 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 10:18 PM

What really made me stop shopping at Walmart a couple of years back was when I got a really clear insight into how predatory they are - do you realize that they will go into a small town, usually within 30-45 minutes of a larger Walmart store, open a new Walmart, wipe out all most local businesses, then close the store, with the idea that they then force the residents to go to the larger store ? It's entirely predatory. They are wiping out so much of small town America. It's amazing.

And I say that as someone who doesn't make that much $$, who really did at one point appreciate the low prices, who does clothe the family in thrift store 'cast-offs' (which are so much better quality than what I could have purchased at Walmart).

I know you didn't mean to turn this into a Walmart debate, but I know that I wish I would have had an earlier insight into the nastiness of this particular corporation. Hopefully some of this thread will also enlighten.
#25 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Me see I can shop at Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Shopco. They all sell the same stuff only Wal-Mart is cleaner and cheeper. The mom and pop stores sell the same stuff also but their prices are sky high and they dont have a good selection. The local mom and pop store also have major attitudes, I'll shop Wal-Mart thank you.
#26 of 49 Old 03-29-2005, 11:49 PM

Thank you from a fellow WalMart shopper! I totally forgot about checking for the form because my greeters don't seem to regularly pass them out.
#27 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly
I'm glad you are all so well-off that you can avoid Wal-mart but as someone who's family makes $28000 a year I am very thankful for Wal-mart as it is the only place I can afford to buy my children new clothes. Or are "poor" people like me just supposed to dress our kids in your cast-offs at the thrift store? I was just at Wal-mart today and managed to buy my kids each a new pair of shoes, really nice spring jackets and sunglasses for $65 dollars. Yep I'm lovin' Wal-mart. If I went to a local store I would walk out with maybe one pair of shoes or one jacket for that price. Glad you're not that "desperate" but I am.
We make less than that and I don't consider ourselves "poor." $65 is a lot to spend on clothes in my opinion. I could get a whole year's wardrob for my son at yard sales and thrift stores for that. Oh, and I shop out of season at upper class department stores and get things on clearance much cheaper than wal mart with higher quality. I got a $70 snowsuit for $6.99 and several really nice sweaters for $3.99 each at the classiest store in town. People rave at the cute stuff I buy and never guess that it is "second hand" or clearance deals. Don't assume that because people avoid wal mart that we are rich. (I honestly have saved a TON of money since I stopped shopping there.)

And I'm not trying to condem people who shop at wal mart, just saying that it is possible to not shop there on a limited budget.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#28 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the tip! Dh goes to Wal Mart to buy his fav gummy bears. That's all he gets there, I think. I'm against shopping in general. The only fun store for me is Trader Joe's. I hate going out to buy my kid's anything. I can get some good clothing deals at Target (it's closer to our house than Wal Mart). When the Lands End stuff goes on sale (like clearance) it's usually a great deal. I got my 13 year old three turtle neck's, two flannel shirts, and a jacket for $25 from Land's End a few weeks ago! I was excited. It's hard to find good deals for decent clothes for an older child. Esp a boy. I fail to see the diff between Target, Wal Mart, and the like. They are all evil, I would think. That's the world we live in, eh?

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#29 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I would not want to clothe my children at the expense of other children working in sweatshop conditions in other countries, nor do I want to support a company that routinely discriminates against women and tramples over local small businesses.

Yeah, what she said.
#30 of 49 Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 AM

I dont' shop walmart to often anymore but i do sam's club wich i think is owned by the same people but it's how i manage to feed my family for only $150 a month and get to be a sahm... I also live in hick ville with VERY few choices the other store i would pay atleast twice this to shop at my local groshier... so sad that the choice are so limited... i mainly do save a lot or aldies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page