Bill collectors, what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I got a copy of my credit report a few months ago and noticed a medical thing on it that I did not recognize. I contaced the agency to find out what it was and found out that it was a bill from a video X-ray of my uterus.
It's a long story but basically I bought medical insurance while in school and found a way to have my appointment covered by insurance (or else I wouldn't have gone). The doctor did all the tests he could in his office and then sent me across the hall to a radiology department for one last look to be sure he was seeing what he was seeing.
The docs appt was paid for (I had a small co-pay) but radiology billed under a code that the insurance would not cover it. They called it infertility (I had 1 child at the time ) and my insurance co. calls that a pre-existing condition and they woulon't pay so I got the bill. When I called the hospital, I told them they filed wrong and that if they could file correctly, they would get paid.
I never heard from them again. I thought it had all been taken care of.
Well, it wasn't.

They refiled incorrectly again and didn't get paid at which time they sent it to a collection agency.

When I called them they said they had sent me out 2 bills just this past November but I never got them. I asked them to re-send the bill and they did, it never got here. They do have my correct address.

Anyhow, I called the hospital again and they said they were willing to re-file again but the problem is that it was so long ago that my old insurance co. won't pay now.

I am absolutely not going to pay the bill and am doing fine with it on my credit so that is not the issue here and please don't give me any feedback on this.

Now the collection agency, whom I have never heard from EVER, is calling me roughly 10 times a day even on Saturdays. I never answer and I they won't leave a message. What can I do about getting them to stop calling me?
I don't want to create legal troubles by saying I have absolutely no intention of paying you back ever so what can I do?
#2 of 6 Old 04-04-2005, 04:19 PM

i may be wrong about this but i believe if an account is being contested then the collections company can't call you.

sorry you're having to go through this!
#3 of 6 Old 04-04-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if mine is technically being contested. I think I could have denied the validity of the charge during its first month in collections if I had even known it was in collections. There must be somewhere I can find out about the legalities of all this.
#4 of 6 Old 04-04-2005, 07:58 PM

As far as I know, you have the legal right to tell them to never *call* you again (they can send you mail) and they MUST desist. If they do not, tell them you will contact the police and then do so (make sure you get their info first).

#5 of 6 Old 04-04-2005, 10:12 PM

There is a legal right to have them never call you again, but you have to send them a letter telling them that you're excersising your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act to have them not call you anymore, and then as soon as they recieve the letter (or should have recieved the letter... they can't say "Oh, we didn't get it..." forever) then they have to stop calling you.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#6 of 6 Old 04-05-2005, 04:53 AM

stretchmark, have you spoken to the insurance about this? I had a bill paid by insurance that was never paid after I was off the insurance before, as long as it was within the times I was insured. I'd give them a call and maybe not give specifics, but just say "I have a bill that hadn't been processed correctly while I was insured by you, it is x months old" or something, yk?). Just an idea. Would be nice to get it off your record entirely, yk?

Can you call your phone co. and get that number blocked? I think that's possible but I'm not 100%.

Frustrating insurance companies!!!!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page