Cardboard! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-10-2005, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hooray for Cardboard! I'd love to hear how other families use it, esp. to entertain the kids.. It's free around every alley, so one of the most frugal things I can think of to play with, build with, create with.
Just thinking of this, b/c at this moment, the kids are hanging out with Daddy cutting pirate swords out of cardboard. There is also a kayak that is half-completed in the closet. The kids love to make forts out of the huge ones, but DS wants to make a castle next time we get one. That should be interesting!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#2 of 14 Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 PM

Is it ok to play here w you?

We love cardboard. It makes fun houses, tunnels, paint canvas, crayon canvas, glue canvas you name it!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#3 of 14 Old 04-10-2005, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

For sure! I was hoping mamas would give some more great ideas and inspiration!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#4 of 14 Old 04-10-2005, 10:34 PM

My ds, 8, has been sleeping in a cardboard box every night for the last week or so. I can't get him out of it. :LOL

Just wanted to jump in with that little bit of info.
#5 of 14 Old 04-11-2005, 09:45 AM

Being an online shopper, I get cardboard in the mail a lot. The smaller ones get recycled to mail something else to my parents down in fl etc. But big ones get use. DD may just get into the box and sit there and play all afternoon. (Its a "new toy" so it catches her attention), she might put her babies in there all covered up...

Several past years I have used either real small boxes or cut up some smaller pieces w an exacto and made a small box to serve as a base for a gingerbread house. Then we put graham cracker on it. (usually bought clearance stale for the project!) Then decorate it w whatever.

Or forgo the whole graham cracker thing and used butcher paper to cover and then decorate. Or just paint it, cut a slit and use it as a mailbox. This was by far DD's favorite thing.

I also save the stuffing in the boxes to ship out again. (frugal tip added in!)

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 14 Old 04-11-2005, 11:37 AM

My DS LOVED cardboard. Let's see if I can remember some of his projects...

- a robot costume for himself (inspired by a Barney episode he saw on tape)
- a playhouse
- a boat
- a bed for the cat (the cat didn't appreciate it, btw)
#7 of 14 Old 04-11-2005, 12:46 PM

A train with smaller boxes! You can paint it & everything. A toilet roll can make a chimney. Houses & cars are the most popular things here. (For a car, you want a box they can sit in, & paint one of the flaps as the dashboard, & markings on the side).
#8 of 14 Old 04-11-2005, 12:46 PM

Oh yeah, you can also use them as sledges down the stairs :
#9 of 14 Old 04-11-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia
A train with smaller boxes! You can paint it & everything. A toilet roll can make a chimney. Houses & cars are the most popular things here. (For a car, you want a box they can sit in, & paint one of the flaps as the dashboard, & markings on the side).
OMG! I did that when I was 6 yrs old. My neighbor had just moved in and we kids took a bunch of boxes and made a train. It was a hit that summer until the rainstorm. Thanks for the memory!

#10 of 14 Old 04-11-2005, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right now, I have 6 half-grown chicks behind me in a 4x5' cardboard brooder. We rescued a couple cut-down stove boxes from the dumpster behind the Sears outlet down the street and duct-taped them together to make one big box!

Before, when the chicks were in smaller brooders, dumpster cardboard got used to make windbreaks for the sides. I made a heated roosting box for night time by taping together a cardboard structure and sandwiching our heat pad in between 2 layers of cardboard for the floor. At night I plugged the heat pad in; the cord to it ran between the back of the roosting box and the side of the brooder, so the chicks couldn't peck it.
#11 of 14 Old 04-12-2005, 11:19 AM

Our apartment is small so we have to be creative with our one large box.
My SILs dryer box has been a house with shuttered window & mailbox slit, puppet theater, and now it is a "fix it" car. We have wheels we can attach with velcro, and I'm going to make a movable hood with removable cardboard engine, battery, etc.

When we are done, we fold it up, and put it behind our couch.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#12 of 14 Old 04-14-2005, 04:14 AM

We LOVE cardboard around here!

Hmmmmmm. Let's see........recent cardboard creations......

~Huge painted birthday signs, welcome signs and holiday signs for all the nearby friends to enjoy when driving down the road.

~Tunnels. Tape together a bunch and let the kids tunnel their way through. My kids lay down in the tunnel and roll the tunnel across the field.

~We just finished making cardboard painted Easter / Spring eggs and decorated with junk art and hung from cool branches to decorate our deck.

~Cut out large peace symbols and decorated with colorful tissue paper.

~Made Gnome homes with lofts and decorated with things from nature. Made little clothespin Gnomes with felt hats.

~Birdhouses (similar designs to Gnome homes) only decorated with birdie treats.

Hooray for cardboard!
#13 of 14 Old 04-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Yeah, we have made lots of cardboard forts, shadow puppets, tunnels and mazes. My favorite use for it after the kids have first dibs, is to take all the staples and tape off of it, wet it, and use it as a mulch to smother weeds. I cover it with straw or wood chips, sometimes put compost under it, and after things have had some time to break down I plant right into it by using my shovel to poke a hole and plant it into the earth through the cardboard. After about a year it has completely broken down. I have done my entire herb garden this way, and the soil is beautiful.
#14 of 14 Old 04-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like to do that too! I just set out some cabbage starts here and there in my rather weedy flowerbed, and I need to set some cardbard "collars" around them to smother the weeds till their leaves get nice and wide.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page