I hit the food jackpot! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2005, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just so happy!!

So my neighbor comes over the other day to give us some squash, and I asked if he grew it, he says no, he got it at the "destiny food depot" for $1 a box...and I am like, "huuuuuuuh?" so basically he tells me it is a store run by a church to raise money for the church and to provide inexpensive food to people in lower income brackets...that some of the food is expired (dry stuff that might have been "best buy" like 2 weeks ago type thing)...some of it is just overstock donated etc...he told us it was $8 for the year membership blah blah...

So looking for every oppurtunity to save money, the hubby and I went to check it out and OH. MY. GOD. They must get a lot of their donations from healthfood stores or something (hippys are giving after all lol...) because there was SOOOOOOOOOO much organic stuff I was in heaven!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, like, cereal that is like $5 in the healthfood store for $1.
Vital wheat gluten (I make my own seitan) which is about $3 in the store for $.60

Organic juices for .$50 that are about $4 in the store...

OMG, soy milk for $.50!!!!!! ORGANIC...the kind that you don't have to refridgerate, like soy dream or whatever....they weren't expired or anything etc....

Believe me, being nearly vegans and almost organic all the time, I KNOW what this stuff costs in the store and we got about $100 worth of stuff for $21...

I was SO happy to find the place! There is an income requirement which we barely met, but we did meet it--though it is really an honor system, as they don't check or anything...but it is set up just like a grocery store, although you have to dig for stuff kind of...I had hubby on a wheat gluten hunt :LOL

Anyway, we are in central florida if anyone wants to know about it! Check around where you live for similar places...

I am so glad we checked because I was a bit skeptical like it was all going to be like crap food...ya know processed canned stuff and the like, but I was amazed at ALL the organic stuff!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 02:26 AM

WOW- that sounds great! I wish I could find such a place!
Emilie
Old 04-13-2005, 09:05 AM

Did you try pinching yourself to see if you weren't actually dreaming? :LOL

It sounds wonderful!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:22 PM

That does sound really cool! Happy for you@
Old 04-14-2005, 01:08 AM

That sounds so awesome! Enjoy your yummy food. I think ohio needs a place like that lol

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 04-17-2005, 10:59 PM

That's SO cool! Where do you live??
And for only $8!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 04-21-2005, 11:49 AM

I went to Big Lots with my mom last week and got organic Mac and Cheese for $.78 a box. I like to keep some on hand for quick meals on hockey or soccer nights but usually pay $1.50 a box for Annie's. I bought 8 since I was not sure my kids woould like it but now that I know they do, I may go back and buy the rest.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:51 AM

I went to Big Lots last week and got the same Mac! LOL I also got several kinds of organic juices and tea. I told DH that a Whole Foods must've gone out of business someplace! We probably saved 20 bucks off our grocery bill that day. We don't ever even go to Big Lots, really. We were just killing time while we waited for someone.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

User Tag List