What frugal things have you done today...part two - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 08-05-2005, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Worked with my dr. and insurance company to get a medicine covered at the generic price ($10 instead of $30)

Picked up a shirt for me and a shirt and diaper cover for DD at the thrift store - $2.60

Requested my rx records from the pharmacy, so I can do my Flexible Spending reimbursement

Saved my plum seeds from lunch - I'm thinking of planting them.

And if we count the last 24 hours, picked up a movie from the library, free rental with our library membership.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#62 of 121 Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 PM

Today I:
~dressed in a Thrift store top and gaiam organix pants that were expensive, but like 45% off or something, and a bra from the TP
~dressed dd is thrift store underware and dress
~ate at home
~refilled dD SIGG water bottle w/ Brita instead of using a new bottle of water
~drove only to the PO
~sold a couple of dipes on the TP
~received a DVD I really wanted that I bought used on the TP
~read a book from the library
~used cloth wipes instead of TP in one of my bathrooms
~Drank tea I bought from the TP (someone's open box)

there must be more.. gotta think
#63 of 121 Old 08-15-2005, 12:19 AM

Today I taught the kids in church and brought a pitcher of drinks and a bag of cookies cheap from home instead of the individual serving sizes of everything *actually we finished the bag of cookies from last week*. We did go out to lunch but had a huge headache from the kids and a dh who isn't feeling well added up to me not wanting to cook. LOL Made dinner and breakfast at home. Made pancake and pizza mixes to have later this week from scratch. Cded ds, all lights off til dark, we're reusing ds backpack from last school year cause it's in perfect shape, along with his scissors and glue too. Wearing mostly used, handme downs and garage sale clothes unless my mom bought them or his mom. LOL Turning the puter off at nght every night. Unplugging unnecessary appliances. Cut back the ac we're using. We walked to ds school the other day to meet his teacher. Exercise for us and no gas used. Put up tomatoes from the garden tonight to make spaghetti sauce later. I guess that's about it. s

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#64 of 121 Old 08-15-2005, 02:09 PM

Eating now a minestrone soup made from zuchini's that would have gone bad, packed some cookies from Sunday's shopping trip. . . .had these for breakfast this morning, with coffee supplied from work. . .have for snack later Japanese cracker snack bought on the cheap from a trip to China Town, Saturday

Also reading a book from the Library, and using makeup with a brush today, OK not exactly super frugal, but concealer is a necessity for me, and with the brush, I use less and get more uses. Also used lipstick from the drug store that is kinda cheap, but a good color for me, my favorite. . . . Dinner tonight will be minestrone again, with bread from my breadmaker (thanks to DH). I'll probably make muffins tonight, for breakfast and snacks. . . .Planning a dinner Tuesday or Wednesday, of pot roast that will last 3 or more days. . . .
#65 of 121 Old 08-15-2005, 05:28 PM

more due to necessity than frugality but used grey water from the shower to flush
made herbal tea for me and the kids and some for dh
tossed a bunch of junk from some baskets in the bathroom and in doing so found out that I don't have to go replace our soap after all due to two full bottles..

used some of the hand rags I made to clean off table and sink...

not much but some
#66 of 121 Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Today ds wanted to go to a discovery place that costs money but instead we went to the library and did big floor puzzles and he had a blast!

Hmm, other than that we ate all our meals at home which is good for me lately since I am pg and dont feel like cooking. LOL

Desiree

#67 of 121 Old 08-17-2005, 06:13 AM

x
#68 of 121 Old 08-17-2005, 09:20 AM

I wash diaper wipes with cloth diaper and reuse them in a variety of ways: they are fine with plain old warm water for un poopy diaper changes, I keep a few in the diaper bag as rags, and they make the softest disposable tissues! The costco brand maintains softness through 2+ washes.

We borrow DVDs from the library instead of renting from Walletbuster

I blended up leftover grilled veggies to make grilled veggie soup.

Three old bananas went INTo banana bread!
#69 of 121 Old 08-17-2005, 11:31 AM

Yesterday I---
Didn't drive at all! I rode my bike for exercise, walked to the park and played soccer w/ the kidlets for fun, I didn't watch tv, tho the kids watched a little (they like PBS kids in the am)
I prepared all of our food, leftover lentils, rice, and spinach for lunch. Asian Noodles with tofu and veggies for dinner, yum!
Hmmm, kept the AC a bit high, because I had company adding up to one nursing mama and 5 playing children, but today it is back up to 78
Washed two loads of laundry on the lightest cycle, and hung them to dry on the line.
Composted all food scraps
Got our Recycling bin from the city! I can start having recycling be picked up every week!

I think that is it for yesterday, and today it is still early, but I will keep the AC pretty warm since I work this afternoon and we won't be here, DH will pick kids up from Moms while he is out so all I will have to do is drive straight home. DH is cooking instead of going out because I work to 7pm. I will bring leftovers to work and not buy a thing! Maybe I will make tea too, because my store is next door to Quiznos and ice tea is a weakness!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#70 of 121 Old 08-17-2005, 12:19 PM

I cut up one of dh's old t-shirts to make small rags. Some I keep dry for things like smooshing bugs & some I keep wet for small diaper messes. I go through lots of these. I've also found t-shirts free at thrift sales & got a bag of rags from my mom, who couldn't throw them out, but wasn't going through them very fast. In that bag I found some of my t-shirts from high school (I'm 33). That was good for a few laughs.

Running around topless instead of turning on the air. :LOL

Mostly dressing in Goodwill/thrift sale clothes. (Me & kids)

We don't have a clothes dryer, so I hang all my wash to dry.

Nothing earth shattering, but it still makes me feel good.
#71 of 121 Old 08-17-2005, 12:50 PM

Oh, forgot to add that yesterday I cut dd's hair & a few days ago I cut dh's. Poor things. :LOL I am growing my hair out so that I don't have to pay to have it cut.
#72 of 121 Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 PM

First, I'd avoid soy milk. See this link: http://www.mothering.com/sections/ne...2005.html#+soy

Try almond milk. From what I've heard, almond milk is easy to make and better than soy. Try doing a search for almond milk for recipes. As far as other milks go - goat milk would be the best for you, if you can get around the taste (closest in relation to human milk, if you can believe that); rice milk is supposed to be easy on the system too, but I hesitate with this one because of the ingredients (can't recall if there are sweeteners added, i.e. sugars, and I don't like the vegetable oils added); organic cows milk, if you can tolerate it, there's nothing wrong with this one. Although, being vegan, I believe all animal products are avoided.
#73 of 121 Old 08-18-2005, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
DH and I try to be frugal so we can eventually have me be a SAHM. (Paying off credit card debts before that). Besides getting DH's car fixed which ate up ALL the money I was setting aside for a washer/dryer so I wouldn't have to pay $31.50/month to use the laundromat, we've been pretty frugal the past couple of weeks.

Before I go grocery shopping, and I mean a whole day or so before, not minutes before, I will sit down and plan out a menu and try to use up lots of stuff I have around the pantry, fridge, etc. I can usually get about 11 days of meals before I have to go shopping again. (Except for a "refill" of milk and bread).

We both LOVE smoothies, so I made some in the blender w/ frozen strawberries, a banana, a dollop of yogurt, and some orange juice (from frozen concentrate). Then I divided it all up into 4 used water bottles which I will wash and re-use.

No kids yet so I can't cloth diaper or breastfeed but I'm looking forward to the day.

I guess that's all I've done that's really frugal. :P We do get our books and movies from the library. And going back to that car bill, b/c of putting enough aside the past several weeks we had enough to pay for it w/o putting anything on a credit card. You can see how excited I am about getting out of debt by my ticker. :P

I still need to get a Freedom account going though.....

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#74 of 121 Old 08-20-2005, 12:58 AM

*Started the day with the last cup of yesterday's coffee zapped in the microwave, then made a new "fresh" pot by using yesterday's grounds again with just a few scoops of fresh (which is store brand, purchased from the clearance shelf with a $1.50 off coupon). Whew, and it's not even 7:30 yet . . .

*Dressed ds in nothing but a cloth diaper (why put anything on before the breakfast mess?) and myself in garage sale shorts and tee shirt (total: $1.50, plus .50 cent flip flops).

*Took ds to "work" (babysitting 2 other boys his age) and used cloth diapers on the two little enough to fit in them. :

*Avoided the 105 heat index by taking the boys to Chuck E. Cheese's and didn't spend a dime. They haven't figured out yet that the rides and games do stuff if you pump tokens in and I'm not telling. The only token we used was one I found on the floor and we used that to take a group picture in Chuck E's cheesy little camera car.

*Got tomorrow's garage sale listings from my boss, another frugality junkie.

*Got home and bumped the AC up a few degrees from the chilly temp dh keeps it at.

*Heated up some hot dogs leftover from ds's at home birthday party earlier this week. :

*Found the receipt for a houseplant dh bought for said birthday party which died already and is going back so I can get a new one to kill at my leisure. It was only $1.97, but there's a principle at stake. :

*Put ds to bed in our family bed, saving on extra furniture and bedding.

*Logged on to MDC, learning new things to save even more money in the future.
#75 of 121 Old 08-20-2005, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerridwenLorelei
more due to necessity than frugality but used grey water from the shower to flush
made herbal tea for me and the kids and some for dh
tossed a bunch of junk from some baskets in the bathroom and in doing so found out that I don't have to go replace our soap after all due to two full bottles..

used some of the hand rags I made to clean off table and sink...

not much but some
how do you save your grey water or mayber i mean collect? also can you use it to water plants?
#76 of 121 Old 08-20-2005, 10:15 PM

is the left over bath/shower water which has soap and soap might kill your plants.
Its a five gallon bucket scoop lol

we are looking for a plumber who specializes in Greywater tanks if we can find one
#77 of 121 Old 08-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Painted the nursery with perfect blue paint I got off freecycle from a family that was completely sure they were having a boy, and didn't. (I have no idea why this makes the blue paint no longer useful. People are weird.) It's the exact shade of the spendy Disney paint I was in love with -- and free!

Bought a clippers and a hair cutting scissors so I can cut DH's hair myself. Yeah, so buying them wasn't too frugal, but if I cut his hair twice (which I will in less than a month) it will have paid for it's self over going to Cost Cutters. Plus, I can do my own baby haircuts!

Begged and cajoled a friend with a truck to pick up the rocking chair my mother insisted on buying me for the baby rather than pay the insanely over-priced delivery service to drag it to our house.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#78 of 121 Old 08-22-2005, 08:35 AM

This morning I'm sticking some chicken in the crockpot before I go to work. I prepared it the night before, it's in the crock, now. It will be Thai chicken.

I'm making myself an orzo veggie dish before I leave, for lunch. I've planned this week's worth of menus

. . . .I'm wearing dress pants 1 last time, since I change into play clothes when I get home, saving money on dry cleaning. . . .
#79 of 121 Old 08-22-2005, 06:20 PM

cloth diapered.
ate lunch and breakfast at a friend's house and shared vegetables from another friend's garden.
accepted a nice assortment of handmedowns for my daughter!
left the computer off for over 36 hours.
#80 of 121 Old 08-22-2005, 07:00 PM

~use cloth diapers and wipes
~get all produce from either my parents or my grandparents
~make all meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner at home
~wash all laundry on the lowest and shortest cycle
~hang laundry on the clothes line to dry
~havnt used the a/c in about a week
~we dont drive unless we have to
~buy mostly all our clothes from consignment or yard sales
ummm we do more but i cant think of anything else right now, lol. im VERY VERY cheap, lol!
#81 of 121 Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 PM

loving this thread!!
what does tp mean?? telephone??
#82 of 121 Old 08-22-2005, 09:14 PM

but the kids had dental today and in the afternoon ds#3 had OT in the town over ( about 32 miles so 64 round trip) so we did lunch out at the evil place today with dh ( don't flame me we had some really bad news on dh today and needed quick and cheap we will make up for it later) then kids and I went and used our museum passes for the rest of the day until time for ds appt.
We stopped in said town to grab the less $$ organic milk ( metropolitan town =more people=better prices than the few places here)

yesterday dh and ds talked about going out and we talked about ice cream but I found stuff for dinner that most of us would eat ( one SID kid so harder to fix for) and found some things to fix that 'sweet tooth" that I had picked up from farmers market earlier in the weekend...
#83 of 121 Old 08-22-2005, 11:09 PM

Hi there,
Tp=trading post, and MDC area where people go to buy, sell, swap & gift others.

Our day:
1.I got a bunch of books out of the library today to teach me how to do basic car maintenance on our cars. each time we change the oil on our "rolling relics" it costs us about 25.00 each! Not doing it has the potential to be even more expensive. I am pretty sure I can get everything I need toolswise to maintain our cars for about 15.00, which means one set of oil changes would pay for everything.
2. library instead of buying books
3. dd's juice from home tho' I spent four dollars at starbucks for coffee & snacks
however, just this once maybe I can consider this a political act since starbucks is under heat from conservatives for supporting glbt people?
4. left car at library & walked to sb &park so I didn't waste as much gas.-also resolved to not drive to close grocery anymore and instead wheel food home in the laundry cart
5.washed & line dryed a load of clothes
6. combined a variety of leftovers to make supper (organic ww pasta w/green beans & tomato walnut pesto).
7. will be soon shutting everything down & going to bed! (I am a horrible nighthawk).
tomorrow awaits:
#84 of 121 Old 08-23-2005, 12:22 AM

I rode the bus today... for the first time since I've had kids... they LOVED it! And it only cost $1.50 for us to get downtown and home. Downtown we went to the bank (depositing in the savings account is always a frugal thing, IMO ) and to go sign up for WIC. Then they played in the downtown pond and had a blast. It was so cool because even when we used to have our own car (now a 1-car family), the kids and I only used it to go places near the house, and never went downtown.

Also went to Lowe's intending to spend about $40 on stuff to help our new house, but left only spending $4 on stuff that isn't as pretty, but entirely functional and decided to have DH make the other things I wanted

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#85 of 121 Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 AM

*used shampoo that was on clearance at target, conditioner from big lots, and bar soap instead of body wash.
*dressed in garage sale pants (that fit both my husband and i), a button up that used to belong to my grandpa that i've had since college (i'm 29), a bra that's 4-6 years old (i'm working this morning so i don't have to wear a nursing bra), and a jacket that i've had for about 7 years that is a hand-me-down from one of my campers when i was a camp counselor.
*combed my hair with a pick that was my mother's when i was still living at home and let it (the hair, not the pick. well, actually, the pick as well ) air dry w/o styling agents.
* had some breakfast bars that i made on saturday -- a nice big pan that lasts us nearly a week, usually
* changed my daughter's cloth diaper and had a quick nak.
*am heading to work now, make a little bit of money, renew my books (i work at the public library) and see if i can find a book on cd for my husband to listen to while he's at work.
*will put some ice water in a bottle for me to take to work, that'll help me avoid the snacks to buy in the break room.

not too bad! it's nice to type it all out, i feel like a good person now!
#86 of 121 Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 AM

For nearly two months now, we're only using one car. Dh and I ae taking turns and most days my dh walks to and from work (8 miles total).

I have not gone shopping (other than for food) for anything at all for a few weeks, meaning not even a yard sale. I usually go to Saver's once a week or once every two weeks, but i haven't.

I have not had one iced coffee out all summer.

I dropped off some things at the consignment store the other day, and I hope to get a check from them next month. (They pay after they sell the items).

One of our children is going back to private school in Sept and every dime counts right now.
#87 of 121 Old 08-23-2005, 01:55 PM

My frugal think for today was posting some textbooks on half.com.

I'm also going to the middle eastern market over lunch break to by some bulk fenugreek.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#88 of 121 Old 08-24-2005, 03:54 AM

1.My frugal things for today were: bringing my own bags to the grocery store (they give a little discount for byo)
2. Sticking closely to my list & not buying "extra" goodies at the grocery store.
3.Not eating out-only one small iced coffee. On my work days when I can in the car for 5+ hours it is HARD not to want snacks or goodies especially when i deliver to a restaurant or coffeehouse.
4. Cloth Hankerchiefs instead of kleenex for my sniffles (much gentler on the nose, too)
5. Soaked & cooked a batch of cannelini beans for pasta e fagioli, saved some $$ by not buying or using canned.
6. Dp brought home a bunch of leftover fancy-shmancy cheeses/dried fruit & oatmeal cranberry cookies from an event her work sponsored. I will be eating a super yummy lunch in my car tomorrow, and it will be totally free except for the bread & lettuce on my smoked gouda W/dilled havarti sandwich I CANNOT believe that they throw this stuff away when people are going hungry! When I worked there I would basically shoo away all of the catering people who were tossing stuff and pack it: some for us/some to take to our local women's shelter. One night after a large hospital party my car was sooo packed full of stuff that we went home, unpacked half and the car still looked full. When I got to the shelter one of the women working there literally started to cry as I unpacked tray after tray of fruit, salads, fancy cheeses etc. I was pretty embarassed actually, but I know all of those women had a very tasty breakfast the next morning. I wish there was a way to get more organizations to do this.
#89 of 121 Old 08-24-2005, 09:13 AM

Mamimapster - how wonderful you have access to FREE gourmet food for yourself and enough to share!!! What a cool perk for a job
Where do you buy dried cannelinni beans???? I've searched high and low and can only find canned!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#90 of 121 Old 08-24-2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamimapster
Dp brought home a bunch of leftover fancy-shmancy cheeses . . . I CANNOT believe that they throw this stuff away when people are going hungry!
I so agree! I used to be a teacher and the waste they force the kids to create every day is truly sinful. Even if a kid is lactose intolerant and will puke for days, they MAKE him take a milk to satisfy the government nutrition guidelines. Then the kid is instructed to throw it out, unopened. Tons of waste, every day, in every school. Made me crazy. I used to swipe cartons and drink them myself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page