What frugal things have you done today...part two - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 05-20-2005, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can we do this again?? I really loved that thread and I really need some more inspiration... I haven't done much lately. I did cut my new package of baby wipes in half. We only use them when we're out or for BIG messes- but it occured to me that DD has a very tiny hienie :LOL and those wipes are so big. I think I'll do the same with my fabric softner sheets... otherwise just my usual CDing and BFing.
#2 of 121 Old 05-20-2005, 10:38 AM

washed and dried my diapers, cded ds, begin a job in a few weeks that allows my youngest to attend MdO free and my oldest gets to go do fun things all summer (well ok 2 days per week) for a song. Plus I get paid. LOL Ate all meals at home yesterday except it was my ds program at school so my dad took us all out to eat at...MCD's lol. Oh well it was free food. No more tuition for the summer for my youngest at school. Need to work harder on paying down my debt and put my crockpot to work more. that's about it for me. Of course it's only 8:30 here more frugalness awaits me during this day. Like paying my bills, washing my dishes, fixing food for us to eat, etc. LOL I'm in a silly mood today. Ahem...you may now continue with your regularly scheduled thread. :

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
#3 of 121 Old 05-20-2005, 03:02 PM

I took my lunch to work today- saved $7-10 dollars there. I turned up the thermostat before leaving the house (I need to get one of those digital ones).
I made a big batch of baby wipes solution this morning. I loaned a friend some Movies for a long road trip for her kiddos. Does it count if you save other people money? I went to the Health Food store and stocked up on natural spritzers and seltzer water on sale. It is cheaper than the vending machines and better for me
I am really wanting to eat out tonight because it is just me and the kids. I might go to soup or Salad where it is free for kids under 5.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#4 of 121 Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 PM

I made french bread in my breadmaker
invited my best friend over rather than going out
I am making dinner from scratch

I have slipped up with cloth diapers. DS is too big, and I refuse to buy him a larger set. he refuses to potty train.
#5 of 121 Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 PM

Spent a couple of hours at the sewing machine to make a doll for a friend's daughter's birthday this weekend - sort of a patchwork rag doll, button eyes, with a removable hat & apron. My sewing skills are minimal, and I was really winging the construction, but it turned out pretty well !

Lots of usual stuff - hung laundry on the clothesline, made muffins for breakfast, made dinner from scratch (calzones, using dough made in the bread machine), went to the library. Surveyed the freezer and did a meal plan for the next several days (I really, really need to do that more often).
#6 of 121 Old 05-21-2005, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well i came to this board because i need help but i see that my questions kind of fits in with this thread. but first, i notice that many people are talking about diapering and i woudl like to mention that ec is the frugal way to go! so i guess i can list that in the frugal things i did today and have done everyday for more than a year now.

anyway on to my question ... see the frugal thing i did today was to make soy milk because i just can't afford to buy it at $3.50 / half gallon and i wince at the packaging. but i really messed up the milk and it tastes pretty much like watery soybean paste. and the whole process of making it made me realised what a highly processed food it is and that this is a truly convoluted way to get whatever nutrients we want fromt he soy bean. but anyway, i kind of like soy milk and i am trying to stay as close to vegan as i can (i eat honey). so the question - shoudl I get a soy milk maker? it costs about $100 which means compared to the cost of buying SILK in half gallon containers you would recover your costs in about a year. That doesn't sound too bad but then I wonder, why can't i just make it using my blender ... but after today, I dont think i ever want to do that again. anyone faced this problem???? any suggestions???

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
#7 of 121 Old 05-21-2005, 07:30 PM

for the soymilk ?

Today ds and I hit a 20 family yard sale
We went to blockbuster it used to be rent 1 get 1 free but that changed but with my rewards card and coupons I got 7 movies for price of 4
I heated up leftover chicken and corn for dinner
#8 of 121 Old 05-21-2005, 09:51 PM

Dh made cookies

We scored a free piano from our local freecycle group (I think)

Dh and I went on a "date" (with the baby, of course) while my parents watched the five older kids. We split a frozen coffee and walked around dh's old college campus.

cheery - pm me. I have some Soy milk (unopened) that we won't be using. I would be happy to mail it to you for the shipping cost.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#9 of 121 Old 05-21-2005, 09:57 PM

Made all of our meals at home (breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert too).
I packed a snack for a car ride so I wouldn't be tempted to eat out.
We used our push mower to cut the grass. One like this ~ http://ryskamp.org/brain/images/push-mower.jpg
My husband rode in a free bike race today for fun.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#10 of 121 Old 05-21-2005, 10:48 PM

Would LOVE an old push mower like that. Where can I get one?

I forgot that I made another batch of laundry soap today!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#11 of 121 Old 05-21-2005, 10:56 PM

We got a new version of that type of lawn mower at Home Depot, actually. It works great on small yard.

#12 of 121 Old 05-23-2005, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Ooooh my first post on this board. I lurk quite a bit though!

So today it's just 8:14am and we've been up for a few hours. I have cd'ed dd using prefolds and a snappi from the TP and a soaker made by a friend, bf'ed dd using our homemade nursing necklace, dressed her in a secondhand onesie, dressed myself in a t-shirt I got for free for donating some money to The Nature Conservancy, given my older dd generic cereal for breakfast(we ran out of homemade), heated up yesterday's coffee(though it's sorta icky!), sold a book, necklace beads, and several diapers on the TP, bought a pair of longies for dd on the TP, made a pair of recycled wool pants for dd out of an old sweater, and packed my dh's lunch for work. My plans for the day are : wash diaper laundry and hang to dry outside, pack a snack for older dd and head off to the library, eat some homemade cookies( :LOL ), run to the yarn store for some yarn for a soaker I'm making(meanwhile clustering errands to save multiple trips into town saving on gas! woohoo!), stop by the food market for milk, and run by the post office and mail out a sold book.
Frugality awaits. I must be off!!!!
Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#13 of 121 Old 05-23-2005, 09:46 AM

Not a whole lot yet this morning...I do CD the babe.

Last night, the older kids sat and cut up an old flannel nightie I'd traced a template on to try my hand at some homemade menstrual pads.
#14 of 121 Old 05-23-2005, 02:19 PM

Well this weekend we ate at home except for Friday night and we ordered pizza with a coupon. ( $12 for the four of us- plus lunch for the kiddos the next day) Hung about 4 loads of clothes on the line.
Today I splurged on a cake for a coworkers forgotten b-day. I wish I would have remembered and made a cake
Tonight I am using leftover ham to a make ham, cabbage, potato, and green bean dish.
I need to get back into CDing again. I just have so much laundry that I can barely keep up!

Oh- this weekend I made homemade furniture polish using vinegar, water, olive oil, lemon juice and lemon e.o.

#15 of 121 Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the furn. polish recipe! I want to try it!

Anyone have a good recipe for leftover pork roast? I don't want to throw it away.

We made bread today. Home made cookies, cd two babes, stayed home, made home made popcorn, breastfeed, ate leftover bagels for breakfast/snack that my parents bought, dressed my kids in hand me down clothes.....more to come. I love this thread!

#16 of 121 Old 05-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Last night I helped my sister pick out some clothes for work (she lost a lot of weight and nothing she had fit her well) and some other things for a work trip, and she bought us dinner. Does that count?

Nothing spectacular today, except the typical...

CDing
ate homemade granola for breakfast
making dinner from scratch tonight
#17 of 121 Old 05-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad8
Anyone have a good recipe for leftover pork roast? I don't want to throw it away.
Shred it, add some barbecue sauce to it (homemade, of course!) and make sandwiches.

If there isn't enough for sandwiches, you can layer it in a crockpot with sliced potatoes, onions and carrots and throw some BBQ sauce on it all. So good!
#18 of 121 Old 05-23-2005, 08:49 PM

I made each meal at home, packed a snack for class so I wouldn't splurge, used vinegar/baking soda/small amount of soap in the wash machine today, reused dryer sheets...

#19 of 121 Old 05-25-2005, 03:01 PM

Ok lets see here...
wahed my diapers and wool covers, hung then all to try ou on the clothes line. Last night me and kids went to the library to get free movie rentals vs the movie store! Put price tags on 4 boxes of stuff for the yard sale we are having in 2 weeks. Cleaned the kitchen floor with vinagar, washed sink and counters with baking soda. Used cloth napkins with our left overs lunch me and the kids just eat. breastfed my dd about 5 times today. Played out back in our yard on our toys vs driving to the park (6 miles) using gas in the car. Still haven't got my satillite hooked back up!!! YIPPY! Going to be making supper from scratch like usual.
#20 of 121 Old 05-25-2005, 03:39 PM

This morning washed diapers, turned up thermostat, ate my own lunch instead of going out, help DH roll pennies, brought my own snacks to work, and I'm going to call my cable company to shut off the cable - that's a big step!

Single mom of 2 boys
#21 of 121 Old 05-25-2005, 06:03 PM

fill up but other than that

we at lunch at home
I did do a load of laundry but I have a HE3t set it uses 3-5 gallons instead of 30+ depending on the load so I count it as frugal lol
We shined the sink with vinegar
used cloth napkins
Put my yard sale comforter on the bed ( looks soo pretty)
Played some games I got at the yard sale
Made tea
used a cloth I sewed to dust school desks
packed up recycling for ds to take up to libary when he returns his book (its the only place we have and it is about 8 miles so trips need be combined)
#22 of 121 Old 05-25-2005, 07:19 PM

I LOVE this thread!

Picnic at the park
CD/Breastfeed (of course )
Leftovers for dinner and snacks
Got a FREE fishtank from freecycle that we need for our tadpoles turning into frogs soon! dh said to buy a tank but I posted and got one free!

#23 of 121 Old 05-25-2005, 07:30 PM

I really like reading all the frugal things you mamas do, gives me lots of inspiration Today I...

CDed DS
Breastfed DS about a bazillion times (gotta love those teeth coming in : )
Layered clothing instead of turning on the heat (I wish this weather would figure itself out)
Ate all meals and snacks at home
Used cloth TP

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#24 of 121 Old 05-26-2005, 01:15 AM

Well, let me think...

Breakfast with oatmeal, homemade muffins and homemade bread...Well juice to drink for the kids, milk and apple in the oatmeal... sugar in my coffee... Not perfect but still OK I think.

Used some free sample shampoo to wash my hair.

Cooked 2 cups of dried black beans and froze 4 cups !!!

Drove to the park for a playdate but brough some fruit for snack (and my home made muffins). The others moms brought some chips and cookies for the kids, sorry but still free...

Lunch at home: whole wheat spaghetty with garlic and olive oil, fruit for dessert.

Cloth Diaper for my boy during nap (potty trained but has accident... his diaper was wet so we saved money)

Afternoon in my friend back yard (we walked).

Dinner at home from starch (Rice and black beans pilaf) with my 2 cup of extra black beans and cilantro from the garden. Side dish with homemade bread, homemade eggplant dip and homemade dessert

Movie for the kids and us from Library, Books for the kids and us from Library. Clothes from thrift store or friends for the kids and us.

Clean some hand wash dishes with my home made mix and use half of the required amount for the dishwasher.

Enjoyed the sun, it was free (except for the sun cream but nothing is perfect...)

Takati
#25 of 121 Old 05-29-2005, 05:33 PM

I ate breakfast at home, gardened, and took hike with the dog. The only thing I purchased was a coffee.(my guilty pleasure)
#26 of 121 Old 05-30-2005, 01:11 AM

Yesterday I went "shopping" with a friend to several different stores and bought NOTHING! Friday night I went to the resale shop and got six or seven outfits for the baby for $20. The kids were dieing to see the new Star Wars movie so we bought candy at the dollar store and went to a matine (dh took the three older kids).

Today we ate lunch at my parent's house (free ), cleaned house and organized instead of going out somewhere.

Still loving this thread! I get great ideas from you all!

#27 of 121 Old 05-30-2005, 04:59 PM

:

New to being frugal....so just lurking and learning
#28 of 121 Old 05-30-2005, 06:15 PM

i used an old gift certificate at Borders and bought Dh a Cookbook for the grill for Father's Day. It only cost me $10 and I did not buy the kids anything!!!!. I took the kids to lunch using two free personal pan pizza coupons for them. Not healthy, but free. I hung some dipes on the line. I bought some dipes on the TP for the new baby- cheaper than new.

#29 of 121 Old 05-31-2005, 12:08 AM

Made brunch for friends who dropped by with what we had on hand- omeletes with the eggs we ALWAYS have thanks to "the girls", "monkey bread" - cut up frozen biscuit dough, rolled the chunks in butter and vanilla, then in cinnamon sugar and baked them off in a loaf pan - mmmmmm - and homemade lemonade - from lemon juice since we don't keep fresh lemons around!

Tomorrow is my last day of work!!!!!!!!! Hoping that saves us money in ways we weren't expecting. Know I'll save on gas, wear and tear on the car, some laundry costs (though I dress very casusal for work) 4 weeks and counting till baby
#30 of 121 Old 05-31-2005, 04:15 AM

*I made all meals at home and packaged up left-overs for dh's lunch tomorrow (plus enough for kids and I to have lunch too).
*CD'd/BF'd younger son
*Used a gift card to get some coffe (actually got a large for dh/me, and a kid's sized for our boys to share ... all for $1.95)
*The biggest thing, though is that dh and I went through last month's spending (we started writing down what we spend on a white board in the kitchen and adding it up as we go through the month). We noted where we spent more than we should have (sam's and target) and then talked about what to do to dramatically reduce that. Having it in writing is so cool ... I hated seeing it this month because we were way over the budget we set for ourselves, but having the amount and store listed there really let us see exactly where our money was going (we don't write down "bills" like electricity, other utilities, mortgage, but rather our spending ... groceries, target trips, fabric ...). Now I have a better plan for next month!
*Oh, I planned out this week's meals and went shopping and spent a fraction of what I usually do ... I have dinner for all week (through Saturday night), which 99% of the time includes lunch for dh.

Tomorrow I hope to get a batch of bread in the bread machine and some yogurt a'culturing.

ETA: Totally forgot, I used my Diva cup (totally ROCKS! ) and a cloth liner.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page