Clothesline drying tips - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2005, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are putting up a clothesline for outside drying. We live in a hot, dry, fairly windy climate, so it's perfect for that. Also, drying clothes heats up our house so much, even drying at night, that our air conditioner has a hard time keeping up with the extra heat. Can't wait to get started!

Anyway, I wondered if any of you have any drying tips to share? I have found some good ones on the Net. I particularly want to know how to dry socks and other small items like that. Is there an easier way to do it than to just pin up each sock?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 06:17 PM

Dont put your clothes line under a mulberry tree :LOL

As for small items, I have no clue as to a simpler method, I dont care for much for line dried socks and underwear so those things go into the dryer.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:24 PM

I am in the UK and we dry by wind here most of the time! My tips for lines are - get it out of the machine as quickly as you can. Give each item a good shake and you will avoid too many creases. I hang everything by one edge of the bottom of the garment so that the wind can get in and 'inflate' them.

I use a gadget that you can buy here for socks. I don't know if you have them where you are but here they are sold at markets and pound (dollar) shops. Here's on so you can see it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...382014149&rd=1

I separate the socks/underwear/handkerchiefs as I empty the machine and hang this on the door handle so I can peg the socks on as I go. With 5 of us in the house we sometimes have a lot of socks but with a pair on each peg thing I can get lots dry. It hangs on the line - it makes it quick to bring things in when the rain comes (which happens a lot!) At some times of year it is not unusual for us to leave washing out for days at a time until it finally dries! If it is hot where you are, you could put washing out overnight too.

Happy drying!
Rachel

I forgot to say - I use white vinegar in place of fabric softener and my socks don't get crispy.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:34 PM

To keep my clothes (and CD) from being rough and stiff, I rub the cloth against itself. It keeps them nice and soft!

User Tag List