What's your grocery budget (small families)??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2005, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophmama
Aww thanks! Maybe we should start a list of super frugal but still pretty healthy recipes? I've had to learn a lot. Less than a year ago I spent $100 a week on groceries so I've had to cut it in half.
I'd love it if you did! We've really had to tighten up our budget a lot. We recently discovered that my son qualifies for WIC (my dh makes just a wee bit too much for me - pg person to qualify, but my children will) - they got in thru 'healthy start' - it's Medicaid. My son drinks rice milk which isn't provided by WIC, so we use 'his' WIC milk for us. We've been having fun trying out the cereals and juices. I've also been learning how to cook with dried beans. As I type this, I have a bag soakiing in the kitchen. I plan on red beans/rice tomorrow for dinner. Not fancy, that's for sure.

We hardly buy fresh veggies/fruit - unless they are less than $1/pound - otherwise, it's just too expensive. I buy mostly frozen.

BettyAnn
SAHM
has $300/month to buy 'everything' in household - including my ob/gyn doc appts, meds, cat food, toilet paper, you get the idea. . . . .AND we're trying to save $150/month of that to help with doula expense and a little of the delivery expense. .. . .sigh. . . .we're failing miserably. .. .. we DID cancel our 'cash value' life insurance policies and replaced them with very cheap term insurance, so we got a little money that way (to help with plumbing repairs - our bathroom is not usable - we have a very old house in bad shape we're working on, one small step at at time).

getting rid of the 4 cats is not an option. I already tried that one with dh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 07:21 PM

Holy cow, you women inspire and amaze me. I won't even talk about how much I spend on groceries per month, just DH and I (DS still BFs). I am getting a lot of great input from this thread, thanks for starting it!
Old 09-11-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfrog
I'd love it if you did!
I'll try to get to this during this week. I have them archived.

BTW- welcome to MDC! I'm from Central Ohio originally too! (now in northern VA)
Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 PM

We spend about $60-75 week for a family of 3 (two adults and one 20mo who eats a LOT). We are vegetarian. We buy organic milk, beans, tofu, and grains, and some organic veggies and fruit (it varies depending on what is available at the farmers' market.) I could do this on less if I needed to.

This week we will eat the following dinners:

Indian cauliflower and potato curry
Pasta with caramelized green tomatoes, corn and feta
Grilled vegetable sandwiches with goat cheese
Green lentil stew and bread
Caesar salad with red peppers, breaded tofu and croutons
"Fend for yourself" night (this is the night DH works on his thesis)
Homemade pizza with roasted eggplant

DD will not eat much of the above; she eats a lot of scrambled eggs, broccoli, wheat toast, fruit, cheese, whole wheat pasta, and bean and cheese quesadillas. She also drinks quite a bit of milk.

I always plan a menu and we hardly buy any snack foods. We do have a garden, which helps. And we live in a cheap part of the country. We buy the most inexpensive natural soap we can find and use cheap drugstore shampoo. We use generic laundry detergent, too. We clean with baking soda and vinegar and that natural citrus spray. I use cloth pads and the Keeper.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 09-20-2005, 01:45 AM

I live in northern Canada and I have alot of trouble shopping and keeping our diet organic. It is just my DH and me (who is BFing). DS doesn't eat yet. Our budget is somewhere between $300 and $400 a month. The only place to buy organic vegetables here is in the "organic" section in Safeway.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 09-20-2005, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for one mama and 3 fully eating girls and a very occaisional dad (he is 100% dad but only accaisionally around for meals) we spend about $150 a week (ouch hurts to say that) for 90% organic. we are fortunate that our grocery store carries a lot of generic organic that is as good or better than the name brand. we also have a large garden that were abel to put a lot up from. We aren't ashamed to ask people for thier over flow if they have an apple tree or rough berry bushes or out of control rubarb. I try to never throw anything away. having ab iog freezer helps with leftovers and keeping them from going bad while we wait to decide we are hungry enough for them :LOL I do not want to spend more on groceries than I have to but do not consider quality a place to be cut. i would rather cut some where else ( for instance I cut my gas bill this month by $75 by just not driving anymore. ) Since we eat quality organic food we have been less ill reducing our medical bills. I feell there is always somewhere else to cut so long as there is not waste in the grocery budget. I will never go non-organic again. It just wouldn't reduce our grocery bill enough to make it worth it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 AM

I just used a currency converter and worked out if we lived in the US we'd spen $123 a week on food. That is for me and 4 children. It used to be way more but that was when I topped up with credit cards and got myself into a whole load of debt. I also blame that on me thinking that we HAD to have organic even if it meant debt and the fact all my kids have their different choosy preferences so we have to buy many different amounts of food.
We have had to let go of the organics. We mostly only buy carrots, potatoes and apples organic. I'm afaraid even though the rest of fruit and veg may be pesticide coated we have to buy it. I figured fruit and veg is better than none.
It has been hard and especailly when you read all the organic propoganda (yes I know it's true but poor Mom's can feel real bad when reading that stuff when they are doing what they can to survive).
Sorry didn't mean to rant but it has been a looong journey.
Peace y'all xxxxxxx
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmum
Sorry didn't mean to rant but it has been a looong journey.

A spiritual one that is!!

User Tag List