What is your monthly summer electric bill? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is your monthly summer electricity bill?
under $50 18 11.32%
$50-$100 46 28.93%
$100-$150 34 21.38%
$150-$200 26 16.35%
$200-$250 15 9.43%
$250-$300 8 5.03%
$300-$350 4 2.52%
more than $350 8 5.03%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are on an expensive power company. the one we used to be anywhere from 30-60 a month. 60 would be a winter bill. So nice.

NOW our bill is 100 -130 a month but minus 15 a month that the family who co-owns our well pays us for electic.

Good news is the bill should be going down as we will be heating with wood so no power need for that plus wood heat is drying so hopefuly we wont need to run the de humidifre anymore. In the summer we have many fans going as we dont have ac and the house is not insulated.
#32 of 49 Old 09-08-2005, 09:39 PM

~60 in summer--100 in winter

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#33 of 49 Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM

We are in South Texas and have all electric appliances as well as 2 a/c units (one upstairs, one downstairs) and our highest is around $270. In the winter they run around $150. This is for 4000 square feet though.
#34 of 49 Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 PM

Our most recent bill for a full month was about $65. That is for a 1500-sf home in a moderately hot area (western north carolina). That is way lower than some other houses we have lived in--we are lucky that the house we just bought had a brand new AC unit and the house is well-sealed, so energy is being used much more efficiently.

A few years ago we lived in a 700-sf apartment and I almost died when we got our first power bill in winter. It was almost $200. We didn't even have the place very warm. I went around and asked some neighbors if that was a normal amount and they were all paying that much too. That was some seriously INefficient heat they had in that complex!
#35 of 49 Old 09-12-2005, 01:44 AM

$25, but we live near Seattle so it's not really hot in the summer and we use candles instead of electric lights most of the time since it's nicer, softer and encourages earlier bedtimes

We get candles at Six Star and yard sales and thrift stores. We got enough candles to last us for two months for a dollar total at a yard sale a couple weeks ago

ETA - In the winter the bill is pretty much the same because we don't use our electric heat. We use the woodstove instead and get maybe a cord of wood for the whole winter since it doesn't get really cold around here either.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#36 of 49 Old 09-12-2005, 01:49 AM

It used to be between $60-70 but they raised the rates with this month's bill and it was close to $100.
#37 of 49 Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ours in under $50 in a 3000 square foot home. thank you . . .thank you very much. that said we don't use air conditioning, water heater and stove are gas, and hang our clothes to dry. and our fridge is new. So realy there just isn't that much electrical to use. If we used AC it would easily be around $150 -$200 a month. and that is just for couple of window units that don't cool the place much.

gas though . . . . ouch. it is close to $30 during the summer nad up to $150 during the winter. and that is with freezing our butts off most of the time.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#38 of 49 Old 09-12-2005, 06:56 PM

I can one-up-you lilyka with a $67 bill for a 6,000 square foot house. We have reduced our costs from over $200 last summer with new appliances and switching to gas. We heat with wood in the winter and just got new woodstoves this spring, so our wood costs should go down and our house should be warmer.

More here about the details: electric blog

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#39 of 49 Old 09-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Ouch...we have a 4000sq ft. victorian and pay the utilities for our 3rd floor tenant. We are on the budget plan...so it comes out to about $200/month for electric and $250 for gas. We do use alot of AC on the first floor, especially this year when I was pregnant all summer! And on the 3rd floor apt. it is unbearable without the air.

When we first moved in to this place, our gas jumped from about $40/month in the summer, to our first winter bill of almost $500! I called because I thought something was misprinted, but they assured me it was correct!!! The joys of living in a big, old, house!
#40 of 49 Old 09-12-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315
The joys of living in a big, old, house!
How awful! We would be skinned alive if we had to heat with gas or electric.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#41 of 49 Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 PM

Ours was $297 and our house isn't even very big!!!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#42 of 49 Old 09-15-2005, 03:33 AM

We used to be in the $100-$150 range, but now that they raised the rates, we're into the $150-$200 range. I think an interesting question would be how many units of energy you use and then compare *that* to how much we pay!
#43 of 49 Old 09-15-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
I think an interesting question would be how many units of energy you use and then compare *that* to how much we pay!
That's complicated for electricity because, at least here, it depends on how much you use. We used an average of 18 kwh/day in August and paid about 12 cents for each but we are now under our baseline allocation. Last year we paid over 22 cents for about 10 of our kwh each day (we were using nearly 50 kwh/day then : ).

#44 of 49 Old 09-21-2005, 05:50 PM

Too much. About $100 when it was those hot, dog days of summer, and 90 degrees every other day. Our landlord put in a new electric furnance, so the good thing is that we no longer have a heat bill. Now that the weather is more bearable, the central air is no longer on, and we keep the windows open. So it should go down to about $60-70, but once winter arrives, may go up again. I'm hoping to save this year by keeping the thermostat on 68, and dressing in more layers.
#45 of 49 Old 09-25-2005, 07:54 PM

Mine is $50-75 in full summer (Kansas, so high 90's regularly), I run the a/c at 74 or so when I'm home, up to 78 if I'm OOT or gone for the day. Wintertime it's $25-40, but the gas...ugh...the gas bill....let's just say I'm investing in lots of layers, knitting a new blanket, and looking at electric space heaters.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#46 of 49 Old 09-30-2005, 08:36 PM

I sympathize with the people in this thread who are from Texas. I am in Texas, too, and I have a summer electric bill that is over $300/month! It is SHOCKING. I promise we are not crazy extravagant with the electricity and AC, and we don't even have a huge house. It's new construction and well insulated, too. I think there's just not anything I can do about it when it's 100+ degrees outside every day.
#47 of 49 Old 09-30-2005, 08:57 PM

Around $50, when running our air conditioners. cant complain.. before we got the acs, it would be around $26 or so, but I caved and got a couple window acs when I was so sick the beginning of this pregnancy.
My FIL who lives in so cal regularly has $350 electric bills throughout the year! I would be doing something about it if it were me!!!!
#48 of 49 Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 AM

We live near Dallas. Our bill this month was $602. Unbelievable. Dh complains if the house gets too warm but I told him the air conditioners are going UP. We can sweat and not die!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#49 of 49 Old 10-01-2005, 10:36 AM

My electric is around $66 a month and my gas is $99. We pay the budget amount all year round. It might seem silly to pay these amounts in the Summer when my actual bills might not be that high, but come Winter, it is comforting to know that if I use a little more I don't have to worry about being able to afford it. We went on the budget plans when DH lost his job a few years ago and just kept up with it. I really does help you budget. There are never any surprise $250 bills.
We do have air conditioning, but both our air unit and our furnace are new. We put them in 2004.

I don't know what will happen this year though. This morning's paper had a front page above the fold article discussing the rise in heating costs for this Winter. If my budget goes up, hopefully we won't go too much higher.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page