I like expensive baby clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-17-2005, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and I like lots of them.
This is not working for me. I need a new attitude.
Thanks for letting me vent.

#2 of 30 Old 09-17-2005, 11:53 PM

I buy mostly brand name clothes for the whole family, ALL THE TIME!!
........and I'm very poor.....
I don't feel bad about it!
#3 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 12:03 AM

Well, maybe you could pare down to what you really just "need" in the way of clothes? That might help you feel better about the "and a lot of them" bit.

As for expensive baby clothes, I've found that initial expense does not always equal expensive, if that makes sense. I LOVE hanna andersson on my kids -- love the quality, love the colors/styles, love the fit -- and they are very pricey. However, I can resell them for nearly what I paid for them, especially if I purchase via the outlet stores. So in the end, it's not really costing me any more than cheaper clothes would ... especially when I can get two or more seasons of use out of the garment first, as hannas last and last!
#4 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 11:11 AM

so do I. However, I only shop the sales at Gap and Gymboree. Also if you have a Nordstrom Rack or Saks off 5th you can save a lot too and get chic clothes for you kids. I also sew and copy a lot of the cute stuff that I see in magazines and catalouges.... if that helps at all.
#5 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 11:23 AM

I'm starting to develop this problem as well :LOL ! I've always been a huge advocate of thrift stores and yard sales but I finally gave into temptation and ordered a Hanna catalogue (not to mention a lot of clothes). I went over some of my past budgets the other day and realized that I was spending nearly $800 at Thrift stores a year. My problem is that because things are so cheap my "pass-over" threshold is almost nonexistent. If I see something I think I'll like, I'll buy it because "it's only $2". I've ended up with SO MUCH crap! I had a yard sale a few months ago and had tables and tables full of clothes I ended up not liking for my dd (she's only 2.5). Sooooo....I'm thinking I might change my strategy and buy a few nice, quality outfits for her and really try to keep them in good shape to hand down or sell. Now if I could just keep myself out of those thrift stores!
#6 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 01:26 PM

My kids wear a lot of name brand but its all yard sales

I have always heard wonderful things about Hanna stuff and have the catalog. Well yesterday I saw a bunch of of Hanna at a yard sale and was very disapointed to see the stuff in person. The material was very poor quality.
#7 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
My kids wear a lot of name brand but its all yard sales

ditto - i just got 13 pieces for 18.75! i go to church consignment sales and make out pretty good.
#8 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 05:24 PM

Me too...and I don't even have a baby yet! I try to be frugal- buying only sale items/ebay/trading post. I have bought a couple things from gerber and what crap! It feels scratchy and flimsy. I try to tell myself that the nicer things will have a good resale value so at least I can recoup some of my money.

I am really surprised by the pp who said Hanna stuff was poor quality. I stopped into the outlet in S. Maine and bought several things. I think it feels wonderful I went into the Gymboree store and thought that stuff was low quality. I know people like it, but I was not impressed at all.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#9 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 06:50 PM

ugh... i just spent $30 at the Good will on all name brand clothing.... a few weeks ago, I spent $70 on name brand clothing at the consignment shop, i need help!!!!!!!!!!

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#10 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I have company.

Does anyone feel the mommy competition as far as cute clothes for their kids, though?

#11 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm just glad I have a boy. There are way too many cute girl clothes out there.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 30 Old 09-18-2005, 08:04 PM

I buy from consignment. I got dd 2 dresses from gap, leggings from gymboree, and shirts from old navy and gap for $20

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 30 Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 AM

I feel better when I can find things at my local consignment shop. I take my outgrown things in and always get a gift certificate to use toward later purchases. however, I can not pass up a good sale on tights, and socks. i love adorable tights...my 3yrold dd has tye die ones I admit it, I am a clothes aholic. I still spend more on them than on me...I do resell alot of my clothes to use toward other clothes. hrmmm....glad to hear that I am not the only momma who loves clothes. I do get alot of things at yard sales, i got my dd most of her fall things for the next two sizes for under $30 and it was well over 30 pieces.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#14 of 30 Old 09-19-2005, 01:00 AM

I do too, I have an obsession with my dd looking as cute as possible and wearing the best all the time. But I dont' buy hardly any of it new, I do some, but most of it I get from ebay, and consignment stores or I get it from other mamas.

Yes I do feel the mommy competition at times, but luckily most of my friends have little boys or their little girls are quite a bit older so that makes it a bit easier.

I am fortunate tho in that my MIL loves to buy dd clothes so a lot of those get used for her play clothes and I can keep the expensive clothes for good.
#15 of 30 Old 09-19-2005, 09:04 AM

I do, too. but here's the solution I've come up with, so I'm actually profitting off it! I sell on eBay. We do quite well. My kids are ROUGH on clothes, so they get cute things, but when I find cute things in like-new condition, it goes straight to eBay. Also still allows me to browse through the girl clothes (I just have boys), and even sizes that my guys have outgrown

PP - I'd bet the Hanna things you saw where VERY old or used. Those tend to be passed down in relative and friend circles before disposed of because the buyer knows their worth! The new items and items that have only been through 1 or 2 kids are very nice. Much nicer than Gymbo, IMO.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#16 of 30 Old 09-19-2005, 07:27 PM

I too love to dress DD but I also always loved clothes. I don't feel Mommy competition since my dd always looks the best Hardly!! But then after 5 minutes she is just as crummy looking as the next since she plays hard!

But I will not pass up a cute dress if its marked down and a great price. I found a magenta colored Ralph Lauren Dress that will fit her next year marked down to $27. A bit pricey but she will wear it this winter at my folks home in FL. Its made of excellent fabric and lined. I found another dress early in the sesaon for $10 and she wears it a lot too. So I guess it evens out.

One thing I have learned- for every 1 cute boy outfit, there are 25 cute girl outfits. So its cheaper to have a boy!! But if you buy all 25 outfits, you might not even use all of them. KWIM?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#17 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 01:25 PM

Add me to the club! I'm addicted to cute, name-brand clothes for my dd - and she has TONS! The good news is the only things that she has that were *new* were gifts. I love consignment shops and garage sales. Hitting the right garage sale can be a gold mine when it comes to cheap cute clothes.
#18 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 01:28 PM

Is there a Children's Orchard is your areas? They have lots of beautiful name brand clothes at wayyy cheap prices (like $3 for a bearly used pair of Robeez :LOL ). They buy clothes too (and give you cash, its not a consignment or you can get store credit) and they looovve Hanna and gap and gymboree.
#19 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 01:32 PM

I love nice clothes, too. I find amazing, like new stuff at our local thrift store. I also sell a lot of stuff at consignment store & use the credit toward more purchases. And the best clothes, hands down, that I've found have been on the trading post here.
#20 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Um, I just thought I would mention that HA has a 20% code good until Sept 25. 33W20
#21 of 30 Old 09-21-2005, 03:39 PM

ooooooh, don't tell us that. I just bought oldest dd a velvet skirt that is just soooooo soft and sweet. I just need leggings or tights, nothing else..really.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#22 of 30 Old 09-22-2005, 04:25 PM

I really like nice quality kids clothing, too. For other Hanna lovers---if you call the outlets directly, they will ship. Sometimes they have amazing sales, too. Late last winter, I caught a huge sale and got lots of things off a $5 rack---sweatpants, snapsuits, turtlenecks, even a dress set. Just $5 each! They'll resell on eBay higher than that. Those big sales aren't really common, but they often have good deals; I've had the best luck with the Maine outlet. Just try to call during the week and earlier in the day, so that they're not crazy busy.
#23 of 30 Old 09-25-2005, 06:36 PM

I have this problem too, I rationalize it by saying stuff like, "She's my only child... I have to get cute stuff" and "I didn't almost die bringing her into the world to put ugly clothes on her" : It's sick, I know.

Anyhow, I 2nd (3rd) yard sales. Find block sales in well-to-do neighborhoods that have young families. You can spot them by the trampolines and pimped out jungle gyms in the backyards. :LOL

And I also agree that you can find amazing deal on clearance racks if you are devoted to checking back often. Personally, I am not - but my mother is! She checks back weekly and snags amazing deals.

Another thing that has helped me enormously is nannying for a family that has much more $$ than I do, they give me all their Gymboree and other name brand hand-me-downs.

flowersforyou.gif

#24 of 30 Old 09-26-2005, 12:47 AM

LOL at Attila and her scoping out the pimped out jungle gyms!!

We did the same thing of nannying for a well-to-do family when I was preggo with DS#2. Got loads of Sweet Potatoes, Zutano, soft-soles shoes, etc. I don't mean to sound like I did it solely for the clothes! Just a fringe benefit

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#25 of 30 Old 09-30-2005, 08:33 PM

Oh, I am incorrigible on this. I don't buy stuff for myself unless I absolutely have to, but I go nuts for baby clothes for my two kids. And I have one boy and one girl, too, so they don't even have that many handmedowns from one to the other. It's my one indulgence.
#26 of 30 Old 10-01-2005, 01:19 AM

LOL I am so guilty of wanting my ds to be wearing the cutest outfit at Baby & Mom group. I can't help it....really
I will say though that I get %90 of the cute clothes as gifts or on ebay....
I just scored a babygap snowsuit brand new for $12 canadian. So I don't think I am spending much more money than the other mums in my town

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#27 of 30 Old 10-02-2005, 03:20 AM

I'm seriously addicted too, if fact I have 3 other screens up shopping : . I justify it by telling myself that I have to do justice to my dd's cuteness :LOL . I just can't pass up a good deal! I have serious shopping issues

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#28 of 30 Old 10-02-2005, 10:34 AM

my kids wear mostly brand name clothes too. i get them all from yardsales or consignment shops and the majority of the time i purchase them with the tags still on them!! i got my daughter a ton of hannah anderson and gymboree clothes yesterday for less than 5 dollars. a few weeks ago i got my sons whole school wardrobe (old navy, gap, hannah anderson, ll bean, tommy hilfiger) all brand new (the lady bought her son all the clothes off season thinking they would fit and they didnt!!) so i got a garbage bags full of brand new clothes for 5 dollars!
#29 of 30 Old 10-04-2005, 01:47 PM

I really go for the softness, and the more basic the better. I agree with the Hanna Andersson clothing. Alot of times if it has been passed down many times or really old, then it seems to be less quality. But I can truly pledge on Hanna Items that have been a staple here at our house. I do wash all the time, and the children are very hard on their clothing. Year after year no snags, hems coming undone, or buttons falling off of the playdresses, baby through adult long johns, baby zippers ( I LOVE these)

With having 2 children already I have found zippers are faster, and are not a pain like snaps. I was not too impressed with their socks, or jackets. I do want to check out LL bean's long johns, and I might splurge, and try a pair, and see how they compare. I do also love carters baby clothes, the cotton is buttery soft, and also child of mine (Walmart) made by carters, have really held up well. George brand at Walmart has also seemed to hold as well for the little I have.

I will have to try that Hanna Andersson number though.
#30 of 30 Old 10-05-2005, 11:17 PM

Oh my! I am not alone. I was so shocked to find this thread here!! I love Hanna and Gymbo. I just put $257 worth of stuff on hold today so I could get first dibs on goodies before Gymbucks are redeemed tomorrow

How do you get the coupon codes for Hanna?? I see the other one expired already, but how about for the future? Thanks!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page