Time Dollars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2005, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see that people here freecycle, but I haven't seen anything about 'time dollars'. Does anyone do TD? What do you provide and what benefits do you reap?
I cut hair and landscape, mostly. But I get alternative health care, food, homemade goods, dog care.
I was just reading the 'poor' thread and was pondering how I attempt to make ends meet, and TD is up there on my list.

ediesmom

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 06:47 PM

The phrase Ithaca Bucks comes to mind... is that the town that has the well-known network?
I love the idea, but I've always wondered: how does it get started? With that sort of thing, everyone starts at zero, right?
I give you a bunch of baby clothes, you give me potatoes, and we're even... so where do the dollars come in?

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

the dollars are figurative- kinda.
I do an hour of babysitting I have a dollar. I want a massage, I look in my book and find a massage therapist and get a massage for my dollar. You can go into 'debt' without it being an issue. And you can bank a ton of hours.

I get produce for my TD's, which is amazing. I also could NEVER afford an acupuncturist, but with time dollars, I go regularly (2-4 weeks)

I had an antique dresser fixed with them, and a crew of people came and reconfigured my perennial garden.

I really thought there would be more time dollar participants in this group, being frugal and aware. I read in adbusters where people in rural china are banking their time dollars and spending them for their late-life care.

ediesmom

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i think more people would like to do it if they could find a place to network. i know craigslist has something like that but where else do u find like minded people?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 09-19-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlah
The phrase Ithaca Bucks comes to mind... is that the town that has the well-known network?
Yeah - they also have a community health co-op that rocks (anyone anywhere in the U.S. can join, too!).

I believe that the group/org/foundation that runs the time hours program has a book out about how to organize your own group.

I'd love, love, love something like this but haven't even been able to set up a babysitting co-op so it seems unlikely that I'd be able to. I once started looking for a group who wanted to set up a barter network (related but similar) but wasn't successful at that, either.

Not always easy to find people willing to think outside the box, color outside the lines, insert metaphor here.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:44 AM

I think the idea is really cool and I've always admired Ithaca's innovation. I'd like to find out more.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Moved to frugality & finances...

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 09-19-2005, 01:54 PM

Wow, I didn't really know that existed outside of very progressive communities like Ithaca. Craigslist has barter, but it's not nearly as innovative. Very cool thread!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:02 PM

if you own your own business (or even not, and just have services you can trade through your work) here is a great organization to join ..I have gotten window tinting for a car,eye exams,cakes for baby showers and business cards printed using this service in the past.

http://www.tradeamericancard.com/default.htm

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

two web sites to look at if anyone is interested in start-up.
timedollar.org and
mtdn.org

if you talk to your neighborhood organization I bet there is a place for start-up, or maybe a mothers group who is extremely active.

ediesmom

User Tag List