Prioritizing Organic Foods? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. Are finances are really tight lately so I am trying to prioritize organic/healthy foods - what do you think are the biggest ones to keep? And, where are some that it is not as bad to buy conventional? Here are some of the foods the kids eat a lot of (we're vegetarians):
Bananas
apples
bread
peanut butter
strawberries
grapes
cheese
milk - only will buy organic on this one
eggs
pasta
crackers - goldfish type
cookies, graham crackers
brocoli - I tend to buy frozen organic veggies for the kids.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

Jennifer
#2 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 12:22 AM

hi! i usually don't post in this forum, but i saw your ? in the new posts section, so i thought i would jump in.

i have read that fruits and vegetables are the first thing you should buy organic - if you have to subprioritize within the fruits and veggies, buy those that you either eat the skin and those that have a rough skin.

for example, you don't eat the skin of a cantaloupe, but the skin is so rough, there is no way to clean it adequately; therefore, when you cut it, the pesticides will get on the knife and into the part you are eating anyway.

after fruits and veggies, if you can buy more organic things - buy those that have a high fat content - peanut butter, oils, etc.

hope that helps!
#3 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 12:59 AM

The prioity for us is dairy and eggs. We are a family of women which makes it even more important. Dairy and eggs are products of fertility. The hormones and what not scare me much mroe than any pesticide. There is nothing to convimce me that the fertility hormones they give chisken and cows won't effect humans as well, especially women.

we also prioritize meat. We don't eat much but what we do eat is 10% organic and usually local so we can visit the farm, make sure it is clean and the animals well treated (organic doesn't nessecarily garuntee that)

next comes fruit and veggies I can't wash. frozen, juiced etc. . . . actually this will thechnically include just about everything processed but I don't buy organic bread (because the price difference is enourmous)

then leafy veggies and things that are hard to wash well.

then fruits and veggies easy to wash where we eat the skin.

finally are the things that I can wash and then remove the skin.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 AM

I've never bought organic bananas- I choose fair trade instead, because the skin is so thick. At the moment, I'd aim to buy apples from a local grower, and ask what they use, or see if you have someone with a tree who can keep you fed.
Bread- too expensive. If you want organic bread, you really need to make your own.
Peanut butter- shell gives some protection. I'd go for the cheapest possible, as long as it's unadulterated.
Strawberries and grapes I would, if they were affordable, but again, I'd look at eating seasonally. It's when you get to eating summer fruits in mid-winter that all of the pesticides are needed.
Cheese is made from milk. Nuff said?
Eggs- again, all the crap chickens are fed is fat soluble, so will get into the eggs. Not a healthy start for a baby chicken, not a healthy start for your kids. There's also a fairly small price difference between organic and free-range, BUT you may be able to find a local farmer who isn't certified but doesn't use chemicals and hormones. Best of every world. Same with meat. Buy organic, but especially with stew weather coming up, look for the cheaper cuts that require long cooking to get tender.
Pasta- I should, but most of the time I don't. I'm just too much of a tight-wad to spend £1.50 on a packet of pasta.
Crackers, cookies and whatnot- why bother? It's a treat, doesn't get eaten occasionally and has little nutritional value. Not worth worrying about, IMHO
And yes, buy your veggies frozen. It tends to work out cheaper and preserves more of the nutrients.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 09:51 AM

We go by the dirty dozen list for produce. Which on your list means buying those apples organic, and the grapes organic if imported (domestic can be schwag), and the strawberries, too. The eggs I just think have so much more nutrition if organic/free-range. Those those are easily found locally or in bulk or (what we are buying these days) .99 cents/dozen at the discount grocery.

We don't do cheese OG, but I wish we could afford it! We just eat way too much! If we ate it more seldomly, we could probably afford it.

Unless you're in an apartment, you should start a garden! Atlanta has a great growing season! YOu could even put in greens/garlic/peas, etc right now

For the grains items (bread, crackers, pasta), we don't do organic but do buy whole-grain products. Also just make our own bread.

HTH!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#6 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 02:01 PM

Just a quick comment on the organic cheese. I hear you on the consumption of hormone-free dairy products....we're there as well. I read earlier this year (summer?) that the Tillamook factory was making a new policy that they would no longer accept milk from the local dairies (they accept milk from something like 85 dairies around Tillamook, OR) that used the BGH (and the others) on their cows. Most of the dairies said no problem....and a few said no way.
So....I've added Tillamook cheese/ice cream/sour cream/etc. to my list of okay dairy products. I'm not overly concerned if my dairy products are organic....I just don't want all the hormones. If you look for Tillamook products on sale, it's a HUGE savings over organic lots of times.

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#7 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 03:02 PM

If you are trying to cut $, bananas do not have to be organic, since you peel off the skin. Anything that with a soft skin should be bought organic.

Organic bread-Aunt Millie's brand has loaf out now. Its usually on sale for 2.00-2.50 around my area.

Milk-organic obviously, try the same for cheeses. If you can, cut out the cheese. Eggs-probably buy organic. Everytime at the grocery store I think about picking up regular eggs, but then I think about the poor chickens cooped up in cages being fed god knows what. I feel guilty and spend the 3.39 a carton for organic!

Have you considered a co-op to buy fruits and vegetables? Its much cheaper then the grocery store?
#8 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 10:32 PM

We buy frozen veggies NON organic. I've heard that frozen foods tend to have lower pesticide residues because they aren't sprayed with anything during shipping, and since they're cut up before freezing they don't have to be grown all pretty. But I can't find a source for that, so take it or leave it....
#9 of 19 Old 09-22-2005, 11:20 PM

#10 of 19 Old 09-23-2005, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=tar :

I was just about to post that
#11 of 19 Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 PM

12 Most Contaminated
Buy These Organic

• Apples
• Bell Peppers
• Celery
• Cherries
• Imported Grapes
• Nectarines
• Peaches
• Pears
• Potatoes
• Red Raspberries
• Spinach
• Strawberries

12 Least Contaminated

• Asparagus
• Avocados
• Bananas
• Broccoli
• Cauliflower
• Corn (sweet)
• Kiwi
• Mangos
• Onions
• Papaya
• Pineapples
• Peas (sweet)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 19 Old 09-24-2005, 08:51 AM

i'd buy dairy and eggs organic because alot of the crap is fat soluble, and in our house, we eat the fat and enjoy it. we have raw milk usually, but lately haven't ordered any and so are buying organic pasturised. have you searched your state for a source of raw milk? usually the farmers that sell raw milk are very passionate about thier farms and animals and treat them well, healthwise and emotionally.
strawberries are next on my list. you can't really wash them properly without bruising them to death. plus conventional strawberries won't have many nutrients or taste in them anyway which defeats the purpose of eating them. same with grapes. what i would do though is use less expensive organic fruits such as apple and orange to make a fruit salad and sprinkle a few peices of grape (or sliced strawberry) on top. you could stretch how long the grapes last in your house. i know if i put a bowl of grapes on the table, they would dissapear within 10 minutes. and at $7 a kilo, i just can't afford to use it that way.
as for pasta, try making your own! and bread n cookies, too.
same with cheese! mozzarella cheese is fairly easy to make. yoghurt too, if you eat it. and the benefit is that you control what goes in like vegetable rennet instead of calf rennet.
sadly, if your on a tight budget and want organic, your going to have to make alot of the things yourself, or go conventional. i don't know what your day is like, so please feel free to tell me to shut up if your too busy to make the above.
as for crackers, i wouldn't bother with organic. like a PP said - not much nutritional value so not really worth it to pay double the price.
#13 of 19 Old 09-24-2005, 09:51 AM

We dont eat meat.....so I justify the savings on buying all produce organic, (except a few items).

Also......JUICE should always be organic bc fruit for the juice is always sprayed.

I buy organic frozen bluberries and veggies in the winter for soups and pancakes/muffins etc at COSTCO. Its waay cheaper and a big bag lasts a long long time.

bread.....I usually just make sure its whole wheat. Crackers and cookies, rarely buy organic unless its on sale.

Dried fruit is another item that should ALWAYS be organic as the conventional variety use a chemical to dry them thats really toxic.

www.checnet.org is a great site for info on food as well as environmental safety issues. I get a monthly email with the latest info that is so helpful and informative. I cant say enough good things about it!
#14 of 19 Old 09-24-2005, 01:14 PM

I haven't actually compared prices, but for cheese, I'd look at buying european cheese, since I know they are much more concerned with food quality there. Most things that are are allowed in the US are not allowed in Europe, like gmo, hormones etc. Or any other European food for that matter.
#15 of 19 Old 09-25-2005, 03:23 AM

I definetely agree with what everyone is saying about milk, cheese and eggs those are at the top of our list (plus we eat organid meat). I do buy some of our eggs free range, not hormones or antibotics from COSTCO though. Also, I get my cheese from azurestandard.com and it's only $4.30 a pound! We get mostly everything organic now to, but I know that if I had to cut back I would always buy those organic.

Also, if you have to buy things none organic I would try to get them as natural as possible. Make sure nothing has high frutose corn syrup in it

:

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#16 of 19 Old 09-29-2005, 12:08 PM

Where can you get larger amounts of organic cheese?

The natural food store sells in tiny amounts at huge prices. I want a real 2 lb block of organic cheese!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#17 of 19 Old 09-29-2005, 12:30 PM

http://www.azurestandard.com/index.c...ductCode=CH119

This is what I buy

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#18 of 19 Old 09-29-2005, 04:45 PM

And dont forget........you can freeze cheese too! ESp organic, which I think doesnt last as long
#19 of 19 Old 10-01-2005, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
http://www.becomehealthynow.com/arti...ioncardio/135/

Not strictly an organic issue, but very important, is to avoid hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. Read labels carefully, especially items like baked goods, crackers, cookies, peanut butter. It's tricky because sometimes one variety of a cracker will have it but another flavor of the same type and brand won't. It is also in fried foods like french fries and chicken nuggets, so if I want to feed that type of thing to ds, I make baked versions.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page