how to freeze veggies for winter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-24-2005, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering how other moms stock up on the produce now that it is cheap to have through the winter. I grow a big garden every year and freeze onions,peppers,tomatoes and blanch the beans. But that is all I know and I would like to do more. What about broc. and cauliflower do you blanch them? can you freeze any of the greens like swiss chaurd, spinach etc

thanks for any suggestions
#2 of 11 Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 PM

I'm not a mom, but I have a farm share and try to freeze a bunch of food for later use. You can freeze greens by steaming them, sqeezing them out, and sticking them in a zip freezer bag (or whatever you want to use). I've had terrible luck blanching beans (what's your secret?) and variable luck blanching broccoli and cauliflower.

I freeze lots of berries, too--just wash them and drain for a bit, then spread them out on a cookie sheet (or, if like me you have one of those terrible side-by-side freezer things, on a freezer-safe plate) and when they're solid, toss them in a zip freezer bag or container.

You can also keep the ends and peelings from your organic vegis for fall and winter vegetable stock. Just make sure everything's clean and any bad bits are removed. I just add to my container in the freezer whenever I make the right sorts of vegis (no peppers or brassica) all summer and I end up with some excellent stock without having to buy anything in the winter.
#3 of 11 Old 09-25-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the stock suggestion. I put my beans in a pot of cold water, bring it to the boil and boil for 1 minute. I then place them in a bowl of ice water, pat dry and freeze. No secret but it has always worked. I plan to do my greens this week. thanks again.
#4 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 10:48 AM

I think I've just been blanching mine too long--in fact, I'm sure of it. Thanks for the tip!
#5 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 06:40 PM

I do just about the same thing when blanching my cauliflour and broccoli. It woulks fine. They are always a bit...chewier than fresh but i find store bought frozen broccoli to be the same way.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#6 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 07:57 PM

On a related note: Can I freeze diced green pepper? Diced Onion? How would I go about that? We have an gigantic bumper crop of both in the garden at present, and I have no clue how we're going to eat them all before they go bad or a frost hits.
#7 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM

I have 5 big bags of frozen green peppers right now. I chopped and sliced them how we use them. I have taken some out already and used them- perfect! I have done the same w onions before that are about to look a bit ratty so I will dice them up and divide into the amount needed for my recipes and pop into the freezer.

Now that I'm full in the freezer, hopefully I can get someone to take these pepper still left!!

We canned tomato and made sauce and canned sauce too.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 11 Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 PM

I used to freeze in aluminum foil which worked good until I researched foil, no I use some plastic but I try to use glass if I have it. I am planning on making a ton os squash, applesauce, green beans and tomato sauce in th next week.... keep ideas coming

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#9 of 11 Old 09-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather
On a related note: Can I freeze diced green pepper? Diced Onion?
Yep--just wash, dice, and bag (or container, or whatever).
#10 of 11 Old 10-03-2005, 02:57 AM

I would really recommend the Rodale Book of Home Freezing. It details how to freeze all different fruits and veggies. Some can simply be rinsed and frozen. Others require blanching. Some shouldn't be frozen at all. I found my book at a used book store. I recommend it to everyone.

hang.gif  

#11 of 11 Old 10-04-2005, 03:45 PM

:

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page