Goodwill shoppers: have you really had more success.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with "good finds" shopping GOODWILL stores in wealthier areas?? yay or nay?

I was JW...
#2 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good googly woogly, yes! High end catalog clothes are so nice to find. And you also get better "hobby" clothes. I drove to a wealthy area Goodwill to find my daughter horsebackriding pants and boots and got them for a song. They are so-o expensive, break the bank expensive, new!
#3 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 04:53 PM

I've had much better luck at Goodwill and salvation army thriftstores, and any thrift store really, in wealthier areas. Also thrift stores in bigger cities seem to have better stuff too, but mainly because the average income is higher, I think.
#4 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM

I haven't tried other Goodwills, but in our area every donation goes to the central location and is distributed to the stores from there. So I would think they would all get approximately the same stuff? Or am I nuts?

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#5 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie
I haven't tried other Goodwills, but in our area every donation goes to the central location and is distributed to the stores from there. So I would think they would all get approximately the same stuff? Or am I nuts?
that's the way the big chain thrift stores do it here too(like GW or the SA). At the smaller stores, however, I've definitely had better luck in "better" neighborhoods.
#6 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 05:55 PM

Even with the central distrabution, stores in more well to do areas don't get as picked over as fast. They have less people near them who need to shop there.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#7 of 22 Old 09-28-2005, 06:10 PM

The stores here are better in the more wealthy areas as well. They say that it goes to the central location but they don't actually send it there. We have one that is by the college campus and they always get in the name brand stuff and make it super cheap!
#8 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 10:59 AM

The larger stores tend to have a bigger selection & better chances of finding what you're looking for. Haven't ventured out of town yet but it's on my to do list!
#9 of 22 Old 09-29-2005, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never lived in a city that had good neighborhood vs. bad neighborhood thrift store, but I do like bigger stores. With a dd that is super picky with cothes plus me that an odd size (petite) a larger selection ups our odds of finding something we like.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 01:59 PM

My mother shops in some wealthier areas for me and she finds great stuff. She's also done really well at rummage sales in wealthy areas.
#11 of 22 Old 09-30-2005, 07:33 PM

What I find is that the best thrifts are where the colleges are and surrounding areas where the students live.
#12 of 22 Old 10-03-2005, 01:17 PM

I wish I could find good stuff at our Goodwills. I live in a large city and we have more than one. I figured that I could find some good stuff at the one near the college campus, but no luck. I go about once every month and can't find anything. Is there a best day to go, I wonder? They only have hideous stuff that looks like it was bought in the 70's and I looked at the baby clothes for dd, and most of them have yucky stains on them or holes. I wonder why they accept stuff like that. Oh well.
#13 of 22 Old 10-03-2005, 05:57 PM

There is this goodwill about 55 miles from here, but I make a special trip once in a while. They have a sale once a month where all the clothes are $1, kids clothes are even cheaper. I got some brand new (tags still on) CK jeans for $1 and a bunch of cute shirts. Other times they will have a 'fill the big paper grocery sack for $8, I can usually fit 6 or 7 pairs of jeans and 4 or 5 shirts in there. They also get awesome furniture. My aunt got a almost brand new Lazy Boy for $15, it still had the plastic wrap on the foot rest!

Yeah, it's in a 'ritzy' part of town. They always have name brand stuff that barely looks worn. They also have awesome Vintage stuff once in a while. I haven't been in a long time...might have to make a trip sometime.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#14 of 22 Old 10-03-2005, 06:03 PM

It is worth it to shop in better areas. I don't if it's because, they get the good stuff or it is just not so picked over.
#15 of 22 Old 10-03-2005, 09:46 PM

i also have found much better deals, especially with clothing in "better" neighborhoods. although everyone else knows it too so it's getting harder to find really good deals.

first post! w00t!
#16 of 22 Old 10-04-2005, 08:31 AM

I noticed that some of the stuff I give ends up across town at another GW. All of the GW around hear price the clothing the same. It is everything else it is up to the people working in the back to price the items. I haven't noticed any difference in the clothing though. Seems like they do a pretty good job of distributing it all evenly around town.
#17 of 22 Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 PM

What I have noticed is more suits for men and the nicer clothes for women, but not so much in my size anyway. I look for nice towels, bedding and blankets and do well in a more wealthy area.

However, in a regular town I found a nearly brand new pair of Birkenstocks for $1.49 and I'm happy as a clam.
#18 of 22 Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 PM

When I lived in a big city, I found lots of great stuff. Sometimes I found the best stuff in the poorer areas. Now, the place where i live has the worst, overpriced Goodwills. I guess it just depends on the area.
#19 of 22 Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 AM

I think the reason why 'wealthier' areas are better is because of the picked-over issue. We do praticularly well at a specific store in our area that's actually in a very lower middle class neighborhood but is hidden behind a grocery store that went out of business, so no one ever remembers that it's there. We get fantastic finds there every time we're in because they just keep getting new stuff and nothing ever goes out the door! We can even find nice work clothes for DH, who at 6'5 and 190lbs is a tough fit anywhere we go.
#20 of 22 Old 10-05-2005, 11:51 AM

I live in a very upper middle class area (I don't know how we got here!) and I definitely see a difference in the goods in the wealthier areas of town. In fact a girlfriend and I go several times a year and hit all the good one, SCORE CITY! I also found that if you're near a college or military base where there's people who move alot and don't want to drag stuff with them...you can find really good deals. My entire house is basically eclectic Goodwill finds, but I love it. I got a very highend sofa that had the packing tag still attached for a song (< $90). I have seen stuff that I know came from Restoration hardware, Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn that must have been damaged but was new and was for sale in GW.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#21 of 22 Old 10-05-2005, 03:38 PM

we live in a college town, and it is a major amazement to me how much stuff people donate with tags still attached. wow. i've not seen much furniture that's too great (but prob. b/c i don't go often enough to see that stuff before it gets snatched up)....i my GW.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#22 of 22 Old 10-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Without a doubt!!! I went last weekend and bought 6 new pants and 7 shirts. All were name brand, expensive stuff and I only spent $60. There are seven or eight Goodwills within a 25 minute drive of my home and I mostly go the the one in the more "upscale" sectors of town. It is amazing the stuff that the people will get rid of. I would say that 80% or more of my clothing comes from Goodwill.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page