Venting about power company! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phew I'll first take a deep breath, because this really gets my blood pumping. We just bought this (our first house) 2 months ago. Our second night here we had a big storm & had large branches in our yard. We discovered the tree that is right over the house is DEAD. So we start talking to tree removal companys. The first one who looked told us there was a guide wire attached to our tree. Until it gets moved no one wants to touch our tree. Okay so I've been calling (CL&P the power company) for 2 months so that they will promptly move the wire so I can get the unsafe tree removed. In the mean time they had several trees trimmed/removed along my street because the branches were touching or almost touching the wires in the street. So I was told it would be done the first week of Sept., then it was the second week. Well when friday of the week rolled around I called back to find out that the guy I had been working with was working in a different town now. So I left a message with the new guy in charge. He got right back to me & was very nice & appoligetic. He told me it would be a rush since I've been getting the run around. A few days later I hear the truck pull into the driveway. I go out to talk to the guy. Just to find out that they never called "call before you dig", so nothing could be done. 2 days later "call before you dig" came & marked the ground. On Monday of this week CL&P came back they started digging covered up the hole & left. I call my guy back to find out what happened, he claimed that he couldn't get a straight anwser. But it would be done the next day. I hear nothing until Yesterday am at 6:30 a gigantic truck (different company) is in front of my house with a gigantic drill thing attached to the truck. This guy drills a hole obviously through stone as the whitish dust that covers everything on that side of the house would lead me to beleive. Which also explain why the first guys were unsucessful. Okay so once I'm dressed & DD Miranda's off to school I walk over to the hole which has piled up dust all the way around it. It has 2 little sticks with caution tape over it. I get a little closer to see down the hole. It is freaking HUGE! It was wide enough around for an average size adult to fit in & DEEP I'm guessing 15-20 feet !I get on the phone & call my DH at work to complain about the hazard that this contractor left in our yard. Granted the kids don't play over there, too close to the street but it is right next to the driveway, where we all get in & out of the car. And it looks like a sandbox with all the dust around it! So guess who I call next? My guy at CL&P he's not sure what's going on & decides to just come over & take a look for himself, I was upset & firm this time. He shows up right away. Looks at it & figures it is the hole that they need to put a steel anchor into the ground for a new guide wire. I guess the pole is slightly leaning towards the other side of the street. So he looks in the back of his truck & asks me if I have a hoe, because he can't reach whatever it is that he is after in the bed of the truck. I say no I don't but I have a rake. He decides to climb in just to pull out an orange cone! Which he put right next to the hole. He didn't have anything else, I told him I wanted it COVERED immediatly, I have a 2 year old BLah blah blah. He said he'd call me as soon as he got back to the office. He did, & told me he'd send someone right out to "finish the job". That was at 2:30 in the afternoon. Then my Dad who is over doing the plumbing for my heat tells me that they stop working at 3. It's now 4 & I'm steaming. So I called & left him a message telling him I din't know what to do I was so angry! 15 minutes later a guy showed up. My Dad went out to talk to him & asked what was going on. This guy said that they sent him to put a skid over the hole, but he would just put the anchor in & cover it, he did it pretty quick. This morning they came & Finished it for real, I think. There is still a mound of sand where the hole was but no longer a hazard in my yard. I don't know if my message got things moving or if it was already in the works. But he never did call me back. The tree guy who came today to give me a quote said that the reason that the tree died is because of the metal rod holding the guide wire! He thinks I should try to get half from CL&P, And then my neighbor told me that it may be they City's tree, but good luck because a few years back she tried to have a tree taken care of & they wouldn't do anything. I'll just be happy to have it gone! Can you beleive 2 different men left my house with this gigantic scary hole there. I wish I had taken a picture, you wouldn't beleive it! I think if I had taken a picture then people would be getting in big trouble.
After what I went through to get this done is it worth the frustration? $$ is a big issue though! Not sure if I choose the right catagory for this one?
#2 of 2 Old 10-01-2005, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wholly cr@p, that stinks. I get the same run around whenever I complain to the city or electric company too. Sometimes I wonder if a 'gender conspiracy' or something, as when my dh calls (or even my dad) stuff seems to get done more quickly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page