Grocery price book? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-04-2005, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody here have a good format for a grocery price book? I have a horrible habit of thinking that just because stores say that they're having a great sale, I think they must be. I'd loke to have something that can track prices in my area so taht I know for sure.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#2 of 7 Old 10-05-2005, 01:39 AM

:
#3 of 7 Old 10-05-2005, 07:33 PM

I just use a cheap little notebook. I have written down the things I buy and the cost at the two supers I go to. Luckily for me they have pricing online. Since I have been doing this, I really do know if something is a deal or not without even looking in the book.

When I start needing something I watch for who will put it on sale, then I go to that store and quickly scan the aisles for unadvertised sales.

I don't generally buy things that are not in my book. My book helps me stay away from impulse buying.

Sometimes if a sale is good on something I generally don't buy(NY strips) I will buy it. In our area if it's on sale for 3.99 a lb you should buy it. I should add though, I only buy meat in bulk. I never buy it cut. I cut it myself and freeze what I don't use right away.
#4 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 12:19 AM

I use a small 3-ring binder (maybe 5x7?). I use the format form The Tightwad Gazette. Since Walmart is generally the cheasest around, I start with their prices. Then go to the warehouse store, then the chain (cheap) natural food store for items we need that are not avail. at WM. Or if there's some other store that I know has the best price on a certain thing, I'll enter that, too. Like here, a very over-priced grocery chain has a store brand of natural PB for only $1.79/lb, so that goes in.

Here's a sample page from mine:

Walmart Smuckers $2.24/1# $2.24/lb
EarthFare Bulk $3.99/lb
Ingles Store-Brand$1.79/1# $1.79/lb

This book is too big to fit in my purse, so only comes out if I'm going to a new store or the discount grocery, etc. Although my calcutor stays in my purse all the time. As well as a pen. There seems to always be a scrap of paper in my purse, so if I'm somewhere I need to record prices, but forgot my book, I jot them down on the scrap paper and enter them in the book when I get home.

For me, it's a slow process. We are new to the area, so I'm having to start my price book all over. I only have about 20 items and 1-3 prices for each (mostly only 1!). But every week, something new gets entered, and it'll be more useful!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children
I use a small 3-ring binder (maybe 5x7?).
Thanks!

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#6 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM

I posted on the same subject for advice a while back. Someone suggested just using your own past receipts as reference for prices, so that you can do most of the logging at home. But of course, you want it to be small enough to fit in your purse to bring with you when shopping.
#7 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by late-night nan
I posted on the same subject for advice a while back. Someone suggested just using your own past receipts as reference for prices, so that you can do most of the logging at home.
That can work, but I don't buy everything in my price book everytime I go grocery shopping. I just want the prices so I don't have to buy the expensive stuff just to be able to log the receipt, ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by late-night nan
But of course, you want it to be small enough to fit in your purse to bring with you when shopping.
Why? If you are bringing it somewhere to actually use it, it will probably be out and being used, not tucked away. I admit, the larger, the more bulky, so that's why I've never seen a 10x12 binder or anything :LOL, but those little tiny ones really limit the amount of info you can put in.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page