Stunned...made Xmas gift, received gift list in email - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOW- that is crazy.
My dad makes these outrageous lists with stuff I just do not want to buy him- he even cuts pictures out of flyers etc.
I had my eye on this boat shelf and accessories at my favorite shop to get him... My mom says- oh he wants a hose roller upper like your dh has from you.
Umm- no- go to the store and buy crap like that for yourself.
I got him the shelf and he will love it.
I think buying off a really calculated list takes the fun out of it.
Maybe generic things-
Like sizes- etc....is of course great.
I do not know- I especially do not like the thought of kids doing that.
I am hoping Rhiannon is right-
#32 of 37 Old 11-06-2005, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We tend to ask someone's spouse or mother for ideas rather than asking someone directly what they want. Of course, then the spouse or mother turns around and says "Hey, what do you want for Xmas?" One problem that I have if I give someone ideas for myself is that it puts me in "want" mode. I start to actually hope that I will get something I asked for. Then I'm not in a proper Xmas frame of mind. I don't think it is appropriate to encourage a child to make a wish list for the same reason.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#33 of 37 Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom
...One problem that I have if I give someone ideas for myself is that it puts me in "want" mode. I start to actually hope that I will get something I asked for....
Me too!! And if I hadn't thought about it, I would have been just as happy without the stuff
#34 of 37 Old 11-10-2005, 11:21 AM

I may be the only one who doesn't think it is bad at all to send a wish list. If it is not done in an expecting or demanding way, it can be a very thoughtful way to avoid getting unecesary junk that will get tossed.

I have sent out gift wish lists in the past, and dropped hints. Heck, we don't want a bunch of duplicate crud around the house, so I am so appreciative when someone gives a thoughtful gift (something my girls need, don't already have, would enjoy that doesn't compromise our family values etc) then just whatever random stuff they pickup along the way.

I wouldn't get worked up about it at all. Just politely let her know you enjoye making gifts and you have already created something special for her child. I know I would be happy to have a homemade and thoughtful gift, as would many others I am sure.

Doesn't really seem like something to get worked up over?
(unless I'm missing something?)

Still, I am sorry you feel offended by it. Hopefully you can come to peace with the woman who sent it and enjoy your participation in holidays together

Edited to add: It sounds like some of you have really bad holiday gatherings with a lot of stress surrounding them and that makes me so sad! I just wanted to send out
and lots of love and happy holidays upcoming.
#35 of 37 Old 11-12-2005, 12:46 AM

Mama, you do what YOU want to do! This is your gift and that is what Christmas is about. Its about giving a gift from the heart. I think you taking a lot of time into making this gift is as loving as they come

Rhonda DW to Mike and DM to DD Jaci 18 and DS Tyler 15- also GM to Zander 6 mo
#36 of 37 Old 11-12-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan
It's not something I would do, but perhaps she had been asked by other family members to make a list and though "as long as I'm making a list I may as well send it to everyone who might want it"
I agree with you !

Also I make 90% of the gifts I give and I like a list so I can at least get an idea of what the children are into at the moment.
#37 of 37 Old 11-13-2005, 12:17 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Let it go and give her what you made her. It's just a SUGGESTION list, after all.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page