Jan No Spending Challenge- are you still with me? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 184 Old 01-01-2006, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone give me some ideas for dh's birthday at the end of the month?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 184 Old 01-01-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
What are his basic interest areas?
#63 of 184 Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 PM

I am so going to suck at this. Today I bought stationary for a baby shower I'm throwing next month. I just can't print baby shower invitations for my best friend on computer paper. Tomorrow I'm going to Lowes or Home Depot to buy lag screws to finish the d@mm bathroom, we thought we were almost done. : Anyway that is it.

Dh birthday ideas, well I have a few ideas

Ok but seriously, my dh is totally into those "sudkoo" puzzles right now (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) anyway how about finding a free online site and printing them off in a folder. Is there a book he's been wanting? How about reserving it from the library and wrapping it up. Fixing his favorite dinner......

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#64 of 184 Old 01-01-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is he the romantic type? Maybe you can have a late dinner by candle light, cook his favorite foods. Write him a love letter and leave it in his sock drawer.

I remember when dh and I were newly married, we picked out two movies: Waterworld, and Joy Luck Club. Even though we were not interested in the other person's movie in the least, it was true love that we sat through both of them.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#65 of 184 Old 01-01-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom
I am so going to suck at this. Today I bought stationary for a baby shower I'm throwing next month. I just can't print baby shower invitations for my best friend on computer paper. Tomorrow I'm going to Lowes or Home Depot to buy lag screws to finish the d@mm bathroom, we thought we were almost done. : Anyway that is it.
I would consider those things to be social obligations, and house maintenance. Both necessary expenses. Now if you had bought the stationary for yourself because you just had to have it, well that's another story.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#66 of 184 Old 01-01-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

You all know what's necessary and what's not. Before I made those diaper doublers today dh said that diapers were a necessary thing, I mean we have to keep her diapered so she's not leaking on her clothes when we take her out. He said either buy the doublers or buy sposies b/c we are spending money washing all her leaked-on outfits. But I made my own instead.

So here are the things on my "okay to buy" list:

-- food (try not to eat out too much or buy treats, but once in awhile it's okay)

-- body care (meaning vitamins and soap, etc. Not fancy lotions or make up)

-- home care (cleaning supplies, manure for the lawn, etc. as well as any urgent home repairs such as a plumber)

-- school supplies, but only what's absolutely necessary for us to carry on.

-- social obligations: birthday cards, baby shower gifts

-- medical/health care: obviously

-- pet care: food and litter. Not a new leash or toy.

1 day down, 30 to go!! We CAN do this!!

#67 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1/31

We did it! We somehow managed to not spend any money today.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#68 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5
1/31

We did it! We somehow managed to not spend any money today.

#69 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 AM

OMG, I suck at this already! Today I was doing pretty good... DH and I bought some drinks from the store because we were going to his mom's for dinner and she never had diet drinks, did some laundry, bought gas... and that was it. Until tonight anyway... I had to go to the store to get some Goodnights for DD, but I saw the christmas stuff was 75% off. I always mean to buy Christmas stuff during the sales, but rarely am I able to get what we really need. But they still had the lights we needed and ornaments that will work perfectly! So I bought them before I even thought twice about it. Granted, it cost me a total of $2.50 for all of it, but it was still something we don't *need* right NOW. ~sighs~ I'm trying not to feel too bad about it though since if I waited they'd all be gone and then I'd be spending full price next Christmas. ~sighs~ I still suck at the non-spending thing though.
#70 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 01:45 AM

We bought the wrong filter for our refrigerator, so DH went to exchange it today. The one we needed was $5 more. That was our only expenditure today.

I have to say, I don't think baby shower invitations from a computer would be tacky at all. I think they can look much nicer than the ones with lines for you to hand write everything. To compromise, why not print them on the computer and then buy an ink pad and pretty and/or cute rubber stamp that could be used on the invitations, and again on the thank you notes? One year I printed invitations for my son's birthday and bought a rubber stamp of a boy on a bicycle (it was a bicycle-themed party). I used the stamp on the invitations, the envelopes, and the thank you notes. I didn't do anything fancy, just stamped it in black. I printed the invites on a cheery yellow cardstock; that adds a lot of class without being expensive.
#71 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 AM

Didn't spend any money today, but that's because I didn't leave the house! Tomorrow will be the big challenge.
#72 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 09:42 AM

Eman'smom - can you tell me more about those puzzles? Maybe I can google them or something.

His interests - anything sci fi. Weight loss/Getting fit. Money management - especially stocks/bonds; stuff like that.

I made dd's birthday invites last year. They were simple and cute. People just throw them away anyway. However, you do them will be fine though. The idea is to celebrate the baby and that's the fun part!

I didn't spend any money, but like Charlynn...I didn't go out of the house at all!
#73 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
His interests - anything sci fi. Weight loss/Getting fit. Money management - especially stocks/bonds; stuff like that.
Maybe if you have in your area you could do a freecycle request for books on those topics.

OR maybe for the money managment etc you could do some web surfing yourself and put together a binder full of info/ create a great big web favorites folder of places to go/ something aslong those lines...

I'll keep thinking...

Today I am baking bread from scratch because we are nearly out and I trying to avoid the grocery store as it is never just a loaf of bread trip. Plus I have more than enough of all the ingredients and no preservatives etc.
#74 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 AM

I've been making my bread for about a month now. It is so much healthier and yummier! I slice it thin so that it can be used for sandwiches. look at the ingredients...even on the whole wheat there's corn syrup or some form of nasty sugar stuff.
#75 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 PM

http://www.soduko.org/ They are number puzzles, dh is totally into them.

Baby shower, I got semifancy paper and I'm going to print them out on the computer, a little poem, the needed info.... I don't like those fill in the lines ones either, but I couldn't use just regular paper KWIM?

Glad to see so many of us are doing so well at the rules

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#76 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Just finished a set of 18!! I am going to design an hourglass shaped one for night times later this evening (3 layers microfiber) and see if we can get this girl out of sposies at night.
Wow, awesome! If that isn't getting into the spirit, I don't know what is!

We are off to a good start so far, because my mom hosted her family at our house for New Year's and we've been eating that food since 12/31 I bought the toaster oven and a small coffeemaker with timer on 12/29 with a a Target gift card, so DH is very excited that he doesn't need to go out to satisfy his caffeine jones anymore. I had DH buy me storage bins at Home Depot y'day (organization is my other January goal) but we used a gift card. Then we discovered a HUGE problem with our pool so DH had to go back out and buy a small pump ($70, blech) but I guess that falls under house maintenance. The alternative was the side of our pool caving in, it seems.

Today DH is getting a haircut ($20, I wish I had the nerve to trim his hair for him), and tomorrow I need to go to the grocery store to buy fruits/veggies, chicken on a good sale, and stock up on frozen berries at a phenomenal discount with coupons.

Do we consider a haircut for me ($30 total) a necessity? I haven't had one since early September and I'm wearing ponytails every day : Also, I had promised DD that we would go to the aquarium this weekend. Can I call that a social obligation? If I promise we won't spend $40 in the candy shoppe next door??? The poor girl begs every day to go.

Otherwise, I think we are on track. DH and I even skipped renting a movie last night and I beat the pants off him in Trivial Pursuit instead

What great support this thread is!

ETA: ROFL!!! DH JUST walked in with Bella from getting his hair cut, and darned if the man didn't stop at Dunkin' Donuts!!!! Argh! I think there's an intervention in his future

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#77 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 06:09 PM

I haven't spent anything yet this year...but I also haven't left the house yet We did realize that the desk/cabinet that we need for my sewing machine and assorted craft junk is going to have to be purchased soon if we want to be able to have the baby's room set up before he's born. So we will have to spend $ on that and some under the bed rubbermaid type storage containers for all my fabric, but that is a planned purchase we've been talking about for months (see I'm justifying ). Currently the 'baby' room is jammed full of my craft supplies, an old (falling apart) desk with my sewing machine, etc. Since the craft stuff and sewing machine is going to be kept in the dining room we will have to have something that can be closed up when not in use.

I've been contemplating some fitted diaper purchases on the TP this last week, but I've been so good and haven't bought anything. I have a package of fabric coming from diapershop.com so I definitely can make my own. I'm just lazy : I'm currently knitting up a bunch of extra yarn to make felted bags that I will line with felted recycled sweater material (I have a pile of old wool sweaters to use up). I figure they will make good gifts and it uses up alot of the yarn I have sitting around here. My biggest weaknesses are nice natural body products and craft supplies. I'm not buying ANY of that stuff this month and its a little scary.

I'm also trying to use up all the leftovers in the fridge and misc. items in the pantry instead of buying new groceries. Our CSA starts up again on Jan 10th, so I will have to buy a few veggies before then. Oh and the stupid TV broke this morning, but I'm trying to convince DH that we really don't need another one anyway. We really do need to save a bunch of $ since we have to pay for the homebirth, and could really use a bigger car with 2 kids in carseats. I'm definitely trying to take this frugal challenge seriously but its really hard when we are trying to 'redo' alot of our house.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#78 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 06:43 PM

I am totally in for this one! great idea for a thread!

so far I've only bought gas this month. tomorrow is food shopping. I am making a menu right now. I am pretty good at not buying extra snacky foods & sticking to a menu if I keep my mind on it. also my toddler and I can eat sooo much cheaper if I try a little harder! I think I am going to try the make 12 nights of dinners in 1 night deal though. that would be perfect for us and I think that will really be a dollar stretcher for the budget I tend to spend extra $ on frozen dinners/pizza/pasta for us and at $3-5 a pop they add up quickly!

the only thing I was planning on buying is lemon trees for my yard this month (maybe that falls under house stuff though) but I may hold off on it now. though I do have a gift card I could use for them

ETA- my weakness and personal indulgence is bath type products,handmade soaps,lotions,etc. good thing my bathroom is well stocked all ready! I do have a burts bees co-op order to pay for but I put that in weeks ago and we likely won't get the products until Feb. so I won't count it.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#79 of 184 Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So far we're doing great! Didn't spend anything yesterday, and hopefully dh will stick to the planned list while he's at Home Depot today (getting wood to finish builiding our shed, and looking for an inexpensive space heater, we've budgeted money for both).

I remembered that I do have some budgeted extras for this month, I set aside 10.00 for an art print, if I can find one that I like, and 20.00 for taking the family out to eat this Wednesday, when we have a long day in town. Usually I pack snacks, but we'll be gone from about 11am to 5 or 6pm, so we're eating lunch out.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#80 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

I really, really want to buy a Little Beetles diaper! I really do! It's killing me. I have money in my own account from ebay sales, etc. But I won't do it. I won't I won't I won't! Gotta stop window shopping.

Today we went to the park for entertainment. Fed the ducks some stale cereal (which they didn't like much-- Gorilla Crunch-- but the birds did). Dh insisted he needed a $10 hand saw to trim the tree. I *suppose* that was necessary, as the tree was dropping leaves into the neighbor's yard. I wonder if I can "need" a Little Beetles diaper.

#81 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 12:45 AM

You guys are inspiring me! Now this is a "game" and I hate losing, :LOL I bought some stuff for our phone today but that falls under household and I did it so I could cancel our land line and go straight cell. That will save us a bundle each month.

No more internet shopping for me! That's how I spend so much money. A wrap here, diaper there and wham. It's an addiction......

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#82 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 AM

Today I did better. The only things I bought were food, aluminum foil and 2 bowls from the dollar store (we are desperately short on bowls... we lost most of ours when we moved a few months ago). We're going to do more food shopping on Thursday when we get our EBT, until then all we should have to get will be gas tomorrow to get DH to work.
#83 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

OT but Amy, I really enjoyed looking at your family photos. Your kids are beautiful (and so is your diaper stash!).

#84 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 01:57 AM

Hehe, thanks ~smiles~ I need to update the stash pictures though. She's outgrown most everything there.
#85 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
I really, really want to buy a Little Beetles diaper! I really do! It's killing me. I have money in my own account from ebay sales, etc. But I won't do it. I won't I won't I won't! Gotta stop window shopping.

Today we went to the park for entertainment. Fed the ducks some stale cereal (which they didn't like much-- Gorilla Crunch-- but the birds did). Dh insisted he needed a $10 hand saw to trim the tree. I *suppose* that was necessary, as the tree was dropping leaves into the neighbor's yard. I wonder if I can "need" a Little Beetles diaper.
ROFL! Me too! I have been to the Little Beetles website everyday this last week...how sad is that! : That's what I've been scouring the TP for...but I know I really don't need it and I'm perfectly capable of sewing my own dipes. I just haven't motivated myself to do so yet.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#86 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 04:15 PM

I've got to get back to sewing my own diapers. They may not be the best, but they work. My sewing machine isn't working right now though. It does embroidery too but I screwed it up when I tried it. Somehow the whole bobbin holder thingy came out of the bottom, and I can't make it fit back in. When I have some time I'm going to have to figure it out. I've got a bunch of fabric. I just need to make a new pattern.
#87 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 06:50 PM

We are doing well...

Went grocery shopping yesterday which was only one day short of a week since the last time i went. i try and only go once a week to cut down on all the extra purchases. Since we get 25% off at our coop ( i volunteer 3 hours a week) i got $100 worth of groceries for $75! My goal is to feed us under $100 a week, including all household stuff (trash bags, etc...) and that's pretty much all organic.

We decided to fully pull dd out of preschool, despite their offer for financial assitstance. Even then it was a bit too much and we are really committed to paying off our damn credit cards! Instead, i'm using the $25 dd got for christmas to join the local gymnastics place; they offer open tumble time nearly every day for an hour. *great* for the cold, yucky winter days. It's $5 a time, which isn't food or groceries, but it's my sanity (to get out of the house), so just as important!! And then to take up more time that was in preschool, we're joining our local toy library that has open play times on thursday and friday mornings. it's $40 a semester. Going to try and split that up over the next 2 months.

Otherwise... i'm not even tempted. We live in a fairly rural area and i hate shopping with dd so there's no browsing. i think we can do this!!

oh, we are also tracking everything on Quicken, so we can do monthly and quarterly audits to see where our money is really going!

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#88 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK. I love this thread. Today I wanted to buy a new singleton stroller - as mine completely broke. I am resisting the urge and -- if I need to go out with 1 kid only -- i will carry that kid or use store strollers. Day 3- so far so good.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#89 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 PM

We track in Quicken. This year, instead of just broad grocery categories like food, toiletries, paper goods, etc. I split the food up into fruit, vegetables, sweets, alcohol, and general groceries.

We did go shopping today, for a few groceries. I'm sad to say that I spent $7.37 more than I had to, for a bottle of sake (to use in a recipe) and a tofu dessert for the boys. I'm not over budget or anything, but it is against the no-spending challenge. I need to change my thinking; maybe I set the grocery budget too high.

In my defense, we did walk to the library to borrow books for the boys, books for homeschooling, and 2 books and 3 magazines for me (that I had been wanting to read).
#90 of 184 Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

You all are doing great!!! What an inspiration!

Kelly, we are Y members so dd1 can take classes there. It's essential for her well being so she can see other kids and have fun with her interests. It's $60/month and she takes classes 5 days a week, so it's a deal. And if/when I can convince dd2 to stay in childcare for more than 5 mins. I can exercise for free.

Well my day was good and bad.

The good: I went to Target for 3 essential items (dishwasher detergent, formula for dd2, and Pedialyte), and I walked out with just those three items!! That is such a biggie for me. I browsed some items but didn't buy.

The bad: As I was backing out of the garage, in the dark, I caused some minor front end damage to his car. He had moved it behind my car to wash it earlier, and had not moved it back. It was right in my blind spot and it doesn't help that the car is black. It slightly bend the corner of the hood and cracked a headlight. OOPS! He admitted it was not my fault, and we don't think it's bad enough to fix right away.

ETA: Okay, so if I have gift money from the holidays, does it count as money spent this month? I already have some that I've set aside for a new pair of walking/running shoes and that's a necessity. My current ones are really old and worn out and hurting my knees-- and I walk to the Y 5 days week to take dd1 to her classes. But what about the rest of the gift money that my dad said to *spefically* spend on something the kids needed? Could I spend it on, for example, a certain diaper I'm obessing over? : Or should I be strong and wait since I don't really *need* new diapers for her. This diaper obsession is going to be the end of me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page