Jan No Spending Challenge- are you still with me? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 184 Old 01-06-2006, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so proud of myself. One of my weakest areas was buying extra stuff at the grocery. Well last week I only spent 46 dollars and this week I spent 53. Both well under the 100 budgeted. And I don't feel we are scrimping on meals, just planning them much better and using what's in the freezer. We had minestrone soup last night. I liked it, dh and dd not as much. Which is unusual, it usually me that doesn't like stuff and they'll eat anything.

My other weakness was getting junk from the gas station when I would fill up. But I also gave up sugar in the new year so that has helped in that arena A LOT! So, I haven't done that.
#122 of 184 Old 01-06-2006, 10:21 AM

I made a special trip to the local coop for grocery's this week and stayed on budget and to my list. It is so hard there because there are so many fabulous prepared/convience foods there but I was committed to buying whole ingredients only as it will be a cooking from scratch week. I knew it was also the only way I could stay on budget at the health food store.

In place of my normal Saturday errands I am thinking of going to the library with the kids. It is just a few miles away and hopefully will satisfy my urge to get out the house for a little while.

BBM- I am the worst about those extras at the gas station or even the grocery line. Committing to eating better is definitely making those splurges easier to pass up! WTG on the no sugar mama!
#123 of 184 Old 01-06-2006, 11:02 AM

went to the groc. last night- eeek. I brought dh, he played with the kids and I racked my brain while shopping. We're having some friends stay with us this weekend who have 7 children, and on top of that my husbands whole family (18 more ppl) are coming for lunch saturday....so I'm essentially feeding 14 ppl for dinner tonight, and 23 for lunch tommorow, and then 14 for dinner and breakfast......oh man, I'm overcommitted here. I spent $80, and that's all stuff that will probably be gone by monday. But I didn't buy anything extra!!
#124 of 184 Old 01-06-2006, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=babybugmama]I am so proud of myself. One of my weakest areas was buying extra stuff at the grocery. Well last week I only spent 46 dollars and this week I spent 53. Both well under the 100 budgeted. And I don't feel we are scrimping on meals, just planning them much better and using what's in the freezer. We had minestrone soup last night. I liked it, dh and dd not as much. Which is unusual, it usually me that doesn't like stuff and they'll eat anything.
[QUOTE]

mmmm...I LOVE minestrone. You are doing much better than I on the groc. tab!
#125 of 184 Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 PM

thanks 2babybees - the library is an awesome place to get that urge out. We went yesterday and brought home so much stuff. Tons of books, cd's for dd, and movies too (for movie night). It leaves you feeling like you've consumed, but in a healthy way. Plus we spent a good hour there just reading books together.

vanilla - remember, most of my food is coming out of the freezer. It won't stay that low forever. Although I did something kind of cool yesterday when shopping. I looked in the cheapie meat place (where things are going to expire the next day or so) and got a pork shoulder (I know some don't eat meat and we only do about 2x a week, but we do) for 2.32. It should make some yummy barbecue. And I still have half a head of cabbage from the minestrone, to make coleslaw. So that will be our special meal next week. We have one special meal a week to make us feel less deprived. It helps a lot! But back to my original point, I had so much food in the freezer frozen, but none of it favorites. Well, now we are just sucking it up and eating it and that is stretching the grocery dollar a lot.
#126 of 184 Old 01-06-2006, 07:31 PM

had my first true temptation today... went to return a pair of jeans that mil got dd for christmas... found a pair of pants i had *hoped* that she got but didn't. would have cost an extra $20. there was no way i could buy them as we literally have 0 money in the bank until monday when dh's check comes in, but it i'd had it... well... i think i would have walked out of there with an adorable pair of orange cords! hmmmm... might have to sell a few things on TP or Ebay. they are really freaking cute and will last for awhile and if we have another girl- well, 2 for 1!!

stopped by the coop again to get a few things to augment tonight's dinner. have discovered chicken thighs make eating chicken soooo much cheaper. must plan meals for next week cause we are a bit over budget this week.

rock on you mama's who are under food budget!

oh, and totally OT: babybugmama- i went off sugar jan. 1 too- how are you doing? i am finally not having crazy cravings- tho i am eating honey and maple syrup.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#127 of 184 Old 01-07-2006, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'm doing well so far, except, I spent 80.00 extra on books for school, yikes! I ordered my books from the bookstore, and they shipped them to me, I had to pay 26.00 for shipping so I could get them asap as my classes start monday (my classes are online, the school is in CO and I'm in AZ, so they had to ship them). Anyway, I got the books today, and they sent me books for the wrong class!!!! I'm taking Public Admistration 300, and they sent me the books for PA 430, ugh. So, I went to an online bookstore, found the correct book and ordered it again, with the insanely high next-day shipping charge of 21.00 for one book.

I was going to return the incorrect books, but since I'm going to be taking that class soon, I think I'll just keep them rather than pay shipping back to them.....sigh.

As far as sticking to not buying any extras, we're doing great, though Dh even stuck to his list at Home Depot and didn't buy any extras, which is amazing, lol.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#128 of 184 Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 AM

We're still doing well. We're going to the zoo today, but we have a membership and I'm packing a lunch so we should be good. Usually all we purchase are drinks at the gas station on the way home. But since we are both doing the no sugar thing we won't be doing that.

2babybees- the no sugar is going really well surprisingly. I had the most awful cravings for the first few days. Now they will hit me by surprise. I am eating honey too. But I am starting to cut that down now. The first few days I was eating a lot of it I think to compensate. So, now I try to limit how much I'm eating. I am finding my appetite diminishing (appropriately) though and that's great! to you
#129 of 184 Old 01-07-2006, 02:26 PM

too late, I already bought my daughter underwear which she really needed.......
#130 of 184 Old 01-07-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I am such a failure today. Well actually dh helped talk me into it so we are both failures. Those 18 diaper doublers I made . . she hates them. She has some sensory issues and hates bulk. I kept hoping she would get used to them but she didn't. She grabs her diaper and pulls and says, "It's itchy! I want it off!" and cries until I take out the doubler. Then she's fine. Then she pees and it leaks on her clothes. So now I have 18 lovely scrub pads for the sink.

Dh experienced the leaking first hand yesterday and put a sposie on her after that. I said, "Okay do you want me to buy more sposies, or do you want me to buy some better cloth dipes? Either way she needs to be diapered so she won't leak." So since the cloth dipes have resale value and are of course healthier for the enviornment and baby, we bought a few Little Beetles. Just some to try. They are on clearance right now. If they work I'll buy some more. Sigh. I hope this solves her leak problems. She just takes in so much water between drinking and tube-feeding.

I will save the Sandy's for potty learning b/c the kids can pull them up/down like undies, but if there's a poop accident they can be taken off easily for clean up. I am done with cloth training pants-- way too messy to clean up. It's either side snapping trainers/diapers or Pull Ups. And then of course I can resell the Sandy's for about 50% of their value so all is not lost.

My other confession, but I'll put this under homeschooling expenses: I bought $48 worth of hardback Angelina Ballerina books for dd for just over $5. They are having a clearance at American Girls website and dd is motivated to read those so she practices her reading skills. She lives and breathes Angelina.

The good news is that I did so well stocking up on deals the last 2 weeks with groceries, as well as cleaning out our freezer and pantry, that we only need to buy veggies/fruits, and milk this week! So probably $20 or so on groceries for the week! Last week and the week before I spent about $80 and most of it was stocking up on sale items (10 for $10 pastas and things, 4/$1 canned veggies, etc). Also have to buy some vinegar for housecleaning, and some Prilosec OTC for Nitara. I think that's all I need to buy this week.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#131 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
2babybees- the no sugar is going really well surprisingly. I had the most awful cravings for the first few days. Now they will hit me by surprise. I am eating honey too. But I am starting to cut that down now. The first few days I was eating a lot of it I think to compensate. So, now I try to limit how much I'm eating. I am finding my appetite diminishing (appropriately) though and that's great! to you
Okay you've got me reading labels. The sugar thing is so hard. DP is completely addicted too. He's the worst. In the spending on frivilous items also. He came home with donuts today. Just because. I resisted. And I admit to the probably worst addiction, artificial sweetners. I should loose my NFL card for this one . When I started with the weight loss years ago it was my crutch and once again this time around it has been. I have been slowly weaning myself off it in the past few weeks. Diet soda of course being the worst offender. But it is expensive and horrible for me. So this week I am biting the bullet and letting go. This will be the worst. But it gives me a few more dollars in the grocery budget and I know it will better overall.

I did pretty good today. This weekend stuff is hard for me. Did a super clean job on the house, took lots of clothes and such to charity, a bit of reading time with the kids and when I ran to the drugstore I only got what I needed, envelopes. We need to need thank you cards for Xmas and such and rather than buy the fancy note cards I bought a big box of plain envelopes(which we needed anyways) and the kids are making pics for everyone with the ample art supplies at home.
#132 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 12:35 AM

Can't say I've been doing perfect, but not too bad... at least for me. I had to buy some cleaner for cat pee yesterday and after I did I went into Old Navy next door. DH's birthday is next week so I needed to find him a gift. I figured I'd spend about $30 on his present. Well, Old Navy was having a sale of 30% off clearance! That's hard to resist. I ended up buying a skirt and pants for DD#1, tights for DD#2, and DH's birthday present. All only cost me $13!!!!!!! Wheeee! Later that night I had to do some grocery shopping since we hadn't had a chance to go and do our big shopping. While I was there at Walmart I looked at shoes since DD only has a pair of boots right now. Same with me actually. I bought us each a pair of knock-off Crocs for $7 each. So, all the "extras" I bought yesterday only cost a total of $27. I'm happy! They really were needs anyway. She has very few clothes to wear, and we both needed shoes badly. And I got it all for less than what I budgeted for one gift. Not a bad day I think.

Oh, and we're trying to cut back our food budget, but it's really hard. We eat a very strict no sugar diet and everything with NO sugar in it is more expensive than the cheap generic. Example, sour cream. The generic sour cream contained corn syrup. But the sour cream for a dollar more didn't. ~sighs~ And that's just the start of it. So I'm just aiming for the cheapest grocery bill we can while still bringing home NO sugar in anything. Won't ever be the cheapest it could be, but it'll be the cheapest it could be for US.
#133 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Dh experienced the leaking first hand yesterday and put a sposie on her after that. I said, "Okay do you want me to buy more sposies, or do you want me to buy some better cloth dipes? Either way she needs to be diapered so she won't leak." So since the cloth dipes have resale value and are of course healthier for the enviornment and baby, we bought a few Little Beetles. Just some to try. They are on clearance right now. If they work I'll buy some more. Sigh. I hope this solves her leak problems. She just takes in so much water between drinking and tube-feeding.
Don't feel bad...I bought 12 OC/OV Little Beetles (I get the 13th free!) and 2 of their merino covers (all aplix so easy for DH and come off easy for going on the potty when she wants)...which is ALOT of $ for diapers IMO. I did sell the majority of her other stuff on the TP so I don't feel really bad about it, but I still cringe at buying that much new stuff at once. Paypal doesn't really count right? Normally I always buy used or make it myself. We've been using sposies pullups for the last 2 months because our dryer was broken and she was beginning to want to use the potty. I suppose its better in the long run that I have workable CDs for her, even if the setup costs for our new system were more than I normally would do, because we save in the long run and I can reuse with baby #2. I spent over a week thinking about the decision to buy them, so it wasn't anything spur of the moment. I mostly have a problem with small impulse buys, which I haven't done at all! Not even a decaf latte!

I also bought dd a new pair of shoes this last week on clearance, but that was truly an essential because suddenly only her slippers were fitting her, and obviously I can't be carrying her around everywhere Besides that I've only bought minimal grocery and toiletry items. We've been mostly eating out of our pantry too. I've been working on some decluttering in my house, I think I may have a bunch of stuff to sell! Which would be great since I still have a few baby items that I'd like to buy eventually.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#134 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 12:44 AM

We went grocery shopping today and didn't buy anything unnecessary. The boys didn't even ask for sweets.

Tonight we left for a walk around 4:20. We usually walk for about 45 minutes, which would have got us home in time to make dinner and eat around 5:30 as usual. Well, we kept walking, which was great, but by the time we were headed home (we ended up walking 1 hour and 45 minutes) we were hungry and I knew I didn't have time to make the boys a pizza as planned (dough needed to sit out for 20 minutes). We were at the downtown area, and discussed eating out at various restaurants, weighing the cost and deciding if there was anything healthy we could eat. In the end we decided we did not want to spend some of our meager eating out budget just because it was late, we were tired, and we were all a little hungry. We came home and made dinner, winging it for the boys.

Tomorrow we may go to Disneyland (we have annual passes), if we can figure out the food situation.
#135 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 12:56 AM

point but I am still lurking for future reference
#136 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Hey my grandpa just called and said he got a piece of mail for me from my old company (I quit work in 2000). Apparently the company has gone under but I have a few hundred $ of benefits from their automatic employee retirement savings that I can claim! Woo hoo!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#137 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky
too late, I already bought my daughter underwear which she really needed.......
Oh come on now, your dd can go without undies for a month. JK!

#138 of 184 Old 01-08-2006, 01:08 AM

usamma that's so awesome!

I'm afraid I am just lurking at this point. I don't think this was the month for me to do this.lol. too many gardening catologs! : plus my mom will be here next week and we are sure to do some shopping then. I desperatley need clothes. so I MUST do some shopping. the last pair of jeans I bought was about 5 years and 2 kids ago

I am definitly still reading here for inspiration and ideas though for coming months. this is a great thread and you mamas rock!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#139 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 AM

We went to Disneyland today. The money has already been spent on annual passes, so our only expenses were gas (about 2 gallons) and a locker to hold our cooler ($7).

We packed snacks, bottled water, and a couple of juice boxes and took that in a backpack. Our cooler had sandwich fixings for the boys, big salads for DH an I (we added the beans, avocado, and vinegar right before we ate), and beverages. In addition to saving money we were able to stick to our lowfat plant-based diet.

We went on the tortilla factory tour and each received a flour tortilla (total junk food, but the boys were thrilled). A cast member saw DS#1's birthday sticker and gave him a dozen tortillas. They they pigged out on tortillas all afternoon (we gave them ours as well).

We actually discussed the fact that the cooler could be left in the car, thus saving the locker fee. The downside is that retrieving it and returning it to the car once we have eaten would eat up nearly an hour.
#140 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 01:09 AM

I'm afraid I'm also just going to be a lurker this month. I had great intentions but have failed already. I had a few gifts to buy and I ordered pizza. You are all giving me inspiration, though!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#141 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

So how did your week go all in all? Any new goals for this week? Lessons learned? Victories?

Even with the diaper purchases I still think we have saved a lot of $ just by me not going out and getting stuff. I didn't realize how much I use shopping as an excuse to get out of the house. Even Goodwill. I spend $10 or more every time I go there to see "what good bargains they might have." We are set on clothes, etc for awhile. Next time I go back there I'm going to have clear objectives and not just browse.

#142 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 08:41 AM

Week one went great. We only spent gas and groceries (and bills). Week 2 I think is going to be harder, but that's because my sugar cravings are going insane and I desperately want either sugar or pringles. That is both on the no spending and no sugar no-no lists. I figure if I get through this week it will get easier. I have alternatives that I eat, and that worked last week...just ain't cutting it this week.

Victories - definitely the less than $100 grocery tab for two weeks! And sticking to our plan with meals and feeling satisfied by the meals.
#143 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 03:00 PM

Day 9 and I'm out.

Last week I did really well, today I went to Target (enough said right). Dh and I agreeed that we needed storage tubs, so I went to get those talking myself up to being really strong, and then I stepped into the store

I actually still think I did well (for me) but still. They had clothes for the kids 75% off so dd got 2 pairs of pants and a skirt for next year, ds got 5 pairs of pants and 2 shirts. Dd got 2 pairs of shoes and ds 1 all at 50% off. Come November I'll be glad I got them......

I'm torn between failiing in the challenge and being so glad I got the kids stuff they will need at a great price (they just don't need it now).

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#144 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybugmama
Week one went great. We only spent gas and groceries (and bills). Week 2 I think is going to be harder, but that's because my sugar cravings are going insane and I desperately want either sugar or pringles. That is both on the no spending and no sugar no-no lists. I figure if I get through this week it will get easier. I have alternatives that I eat, and that worked last week...just ain't cutting it this week.

Victories - definitely the less than $100 grocery tab for two weeks! And sticking to our plan with meals and feeling satisfied by the meals.
I don't know how you are doing it with the sugar. I'm addicted. I don't eat a lot of it, but I need some here and there. Yuck.

Veggie chips are yummy. It might get you over the Pringles craving. How does popcorn sound? That might work, too.

#145 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman'smom
Day 9 and I'm out.

I'm torn between failiing in the challenge and being so glad I got the kids stuff they will need at a great price (they just don't need it now).
I know, it's hard! My dh once told me, "You can buy it at a discount price and put it on cc and pay %%% interest on it until we get the card paid off, or you can wait and buy it later when you really need to, interest free." Him telling me that has helped a lot.

I make sure we really need it or I have cash for it. Like even the diapers-- my dad gave me some holiday cash to buy something for the girls. They don't need anything so I used it for diapers and it's interest free (even though I wish I could have waited to buy the diapers until next month).

#146 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 PM

okay, okay so I didn't officially join the challenge, because I figured I'm too weak willed...but I decided to give it a whirl anyway. So far so good! I'm so proud of myself for not buying ANY stuff besides real groceries and gas. It's crazy how much the little stuff adds up! With the money I saved in one week I payed an extra $100 on a credit card I have been paying off forever.
#147 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 06:39 PM

I love this thread, it's making me keep better track of what I spend.

I spent $7 on gas this morning, and $25 for my son's "Winter Activity" fee at school.

I also spent $25 on laundry detergent (on sale) and got enough to last at least 3 months. (Plus a bag of indoor/outdoor topsoil that was on clearance for $1. I plan to use it to get my vegetable patch ready this spring.)

Other than that, I haven't spent anything since the beginning of the year. We have been doing the "pantry challenge", and I think we're actually eating better, because I have to PLAN the meals. (What a concept! )

I also put 10% of my most recent paycheck in my savings account. (The deposit was only $50, but still... )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#148 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=USAmma]I know, it's hard! My dh once told me, "You can buy it at a discount price and put it on cc and pay %%% interest on it until we get the card paid off, or you can wait and buy it later when you really need to, interest free." Him telling me that has helped a lot.

QUOTE]

True be we have no CC debt, and the student loans won't be paid off before next winter (our goal is to have dh's student loans paid off before ds goes to college).....

I totally understand where you are coming from though.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#149 of 184 Old 01-09-2006, 07:54 PM

I have a hard time with the "but it was a great deal!" thing also. We are in Dave Ramsey debt-attack mode right now, and have no money to spend. When I walk past a great sale, I just tell myself that all this stuff will come around again next year, and if I've paid everything off I can buy twice as much! It's helped a little with that feeling that I'm missing out on something, or that I'll regret it later. I used to be such a bargin fiend, and then someone told me - "Nope, no matter how much cheaper something is than it's "supposed" to be, you're still not saving any money. You can't save money when you're spending it!"
#150 of 184 Old 01-10-2006, 01:29 PM

I'm joining. I have a handful of things already slated to spend $$ on (swim lessons for dd if we can get her enrolled for instance). But...dh is an adjunct instructor at a community college, classes start next week and one of his courses was cancelled.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page